FTB Ultimate ... Bats ... Normal stinking annoying bats

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
To combat bats, I have columns of lava ... in my base. Not for light so much as for bat control.

What the heck do I need to do to get bats to stop spawning? Scarecrow maybe? Hell, I'm considering putting in tessla coils and just letting them deal with the infestation. :(

I didn't see where I could disable bats either, would have thought it would be a setting or something.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
Light it up, bats only spawn in the dark. The wiki was unclear on the light level but did indicate that they only spawn in the "dark." I assume light level 7 or less.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Damn rodents tricked me then, I always saw the little bastards roosted upside down over torch and figured they were spawned by the light. Sheesh.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
It more than likely ties right into the code that handles mob spawning to get it's info and is not really directly tied to light level. Which is the reason it can handle things like half slabs and xycraft blocks.

As for the bats just change your character's skin to a batman one and role play that your base is the bat cave, this way you will quickly get used to it.

On a serious note just wipe out all of the dark areas and the bats should no longer spawn.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
NEI now has a option to show spwanable areas. if you hit F7 it will put a red X on top of any block a mob can spawn on. It seems fairly smart to correctly identifly halfslabs, transparncy, and even correcly spots XYcraft blocks.
Thanks for that useful bit o' knowin' *Runs off to prevent creeper infestation*

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Bats can spawn in dark but don't need it to survive. They are happy to fly where ever they please. Especailly in my old basement. I think I kept one as a pet but he despawned.

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
The F7 feature also appears to be smart enough to mark places where mobs will be able to spawn at night, even if you are viewing the area during the day. Very handy.