FTB performance optimization

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cheeseless

Jul 29, 2019
In this thread i'd like you to post whatever configuration you use to make Minecraft run at a proper speed.

As such i'd like to have you post whatever settings AREN'T at default, any mods you've added to increase performance, and if possible, your computer specifications and the fps you get, as well as any comments on slowdowns, missing chunks, etc.

Please do not insult or in fact comment on anyone's computer as this is a matter completely irrelevant to the objective of this thread.

In my case, i have:

Additional mods: Optifine Ultra

Brightness: +30%
Render distance: normal + 96
Performance: maxFPS
chunk loading: smooth
Fog: Off
Fog Distance: 0.8
Clouds:Fast
Trees:Fast
Cloud height: +20%
Dropped Items: Fast
Clear Water: ON
Performance tab: All Off 1 CUPF

Specifications:
i7-2600k @3.4-3.8 GHz
Radeon HD7850

FPS: 100-130, with constant fluctuations. Chunks loading bring it way down, often to 20s.

There are problems with missing or invisible chunks in both smp and ssp

modpir8king

Jul 29, 2019
One little thing I have been using is
-XX:MaxPermSize=128M
added to additional java parameters which I have found stops the out of memory errors that are caused NEI searches they usually read java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:PermGen These could also be caused by the fact of running 150+ mods but it does help.

Cheeseless

Jul 29, 2019
added to additional java parameters which I have found stops the out of memory errors that are caused NEI searches they usually read java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:PermGenThese could also be caused by the fact of running 150+ mods but it does help.
Where and how do i add that, and what effect does it have?

Ehrlingby

Jul 29, 2019
added to additional java parameters which I have found stops the out of memory errors that are caused NEI searches they usually read java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:PermGen These could also be caused by the fact of running 150+ mods but it does help.

Thank you SO much, I've desperately been trying to find a solution to this problem, and when I decided to finally give up, I saw your post and now it's fixed!

modpir8king

Jul 29, 2019
Where and how do i add that, and what effect does it have?
In the launcher select options tab then down the bottom is advanced options button open that and in that window, the second box down says "Additional Java Parameters" copy and paste that line in there.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Brightness: 100%
Render distance: far
Performance: maxFPS
chunk loading: default
GL:fast
Fog: Off
Fog Distance: 0.2
Clouds:fancy
Trees:fancy
Dropped Items: fancy
Clear Water: ON
connected textures OFF

CPU: I5 - 3570k OC @ 4.2GHZ
GPU: hd 6970
HDD: SSD

90-200 FPS

Texture pack: Sphax 64x

I think that's more or less what I'm using. The problem I've run into is trying to find settings that make the game run Smooth and not choppy with high FPS, something that is more than likely caused by crappy amd products that I seem to always be the owner of. With these settings after the initial chunk load when I first start I seem to get a very smooth playing experience.
The biggest culprits in the choppy rendering that I've found are connected textures and smooth lighting when one or both are disabled everything is just fine, I can't stand Minecraft without smooth lighting so I turned off connected textures.

Lightning3105

Jul 29, 2019
To all of you guys who gave input on the perm gen stuff (-xx:max perm gen) thank you. You have litterally saved my sanity.:)

Cheeseless

Jul 29, 2019
I'm aving trouble making my FPS as high as before after reinstalling Optifine for the latest version of the Direwolf20 pack. Does anyone have some suggestions on what i should change based on the OP?

Lightning3105

Jul 29, 2019
I'm aving trouble making my FPS as high as before after reinstalling Optifine for the latest version of the Direwolf20 pack. Does anyone have some suggestions on what i should change based on the OP?
I simply turn off pretty much every animation, apart from the ones you really need.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Do you actually have a need for Optifine? Does it increase your performance? Optifine heavily depends on your system config and is just as likely to do nothing at all or even decrease your performance as it is to increase it. Every player must determine for themselves whether it helps or not. Also, Optifine Ultra is known to cause issues - try Standard instead if you suspect that it is screwing something up.

Myself, I am very much CPU limited in Minecraft due to my almost 7 years old Core 2 Duo E6600 with DDR2 memory. From another thread just like this one, a few weeks back, I discovered another set of useful java parameters that lowered my CPU load by 10%-20% across the board, allowing for a significant performance increase. Try: -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+AggressiveOpts

UseSSE should be adjusted based on what the latest SSE version is that your CPU supports. For me, it is SSE3, but for others it might be different. The freeware tool CPU-Z can identify what instruction extensions your CPU supports.

AggressiveOpts enables additional java performance optimizations that are currently in beta testing and planned for implementation in the next major release. Therefore, the amount of extra performance this gives you will depend on your current java version, and probably change often as you update. There's also a small possibility for added instability, but so far I have not experienced a single crash.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
You are better off not using it. Unless your system has a single core cpu or integrated GPU chances are it is lowering your performance instead of heightening it.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Optifine is supposed to help your fps, if you don't see an improvement you should just remove it. On my PC I immediately saw a big improvement in fps, so I'm sticking with it.

Also @Quesenek: I have a quad core CPU and an Nvidia 560GTX and Optifine helps my performance a lot... So yeah, I agree you should disable Optifine if it doesn't help, but you can't assume it doesn't help just because you have a high performance machine.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Optifine is supposed to help your fps, if you don't see an improvement you should just remove it. On my PC I immediately saw a big improvement in fps, so I'm sticking with it.

Also @Quesenek: I have a quad core CPU and an Nvidia 560GTX and Optifine helps my performance a lot... So yeah, I agree you should disable Optifine if it doesn't help, but you can't assume it doesn't help just because you have a high performance machine.
I should have said that its situational. In his case its not helping, in yours it is.
I have personally found that optifine works wonders for AMD cpu's and not so much with intel cpu's and in some cases makes the performance suffer when used with intel. But like I said its situational.

Also I'm going off of fancy + far settings for both with and without optifine with no tweaks to the settings in optifine. You gotta compare apples to apples where you can.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
There are problems with missing or invisible chunks in both smp and ssp

Those are caused by ChickenChunks. I haven't had a single missing chunk since I removed it.

Upgrade Forge to 518 or later and use Optifine Ultra D3.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Those are caused by ChickenChunks. I haven't had a single missing chunk since I removed it.

Upgrade Forge to 518 or later and use Optifine Ultra D3.
Discovered too that loaded chunks within the chunk loader radius also get lighting glitches, with many TileEntities (chests, pipes, engines, etc) are rendered fully lit. Removing the chunk loader, all the lighting reverted to correct levels.

Cheeseless

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, i'm managing to get 120+ stable FPS now, with most optifine defaults, except for disabling smooth lighting and connected textures. Howeve there's an update problem of some sort, where any blocks that would break by losing their support, such as torches and weeds, drop the item but aren't actually gone, and also lava and water flow but invisibly.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, i'm managing to get 120+ stable FPS now, with most optifine defaults, except for disabling smooth lighting and connected textures. Howeve there's an update problem of some sort, where any blocks that would break by losing their support, such as torches and weeds, drop the item but aren't actually gone, and also lava and water flow but invisibly.
Did you update forge like I said? That's a problem with older Forge versions.

Cheeseless

Jul 29, 2019
Did you update forge like I said? That's a problem with older Forge versions.
I'll try that now, and update this post asap.

UPDATE!!!!
OMG, i just switched to Forge 527 and i'm getting a stable 200+ FPS after ten seconds of world loading! You're epic as hell!