FTB is using more ram than allocated. What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barend

Jul 29, 2019
Hello

Currently I have allocated 3 gb to ftb in the launcher. However, ftb uses way more. In total I have 8gb of ram, and ftb uses up to nearly 7gb of it. I also noticed in the task manager that there are 2 javaw processes whenever I start ftb. I can't even open firefox at certain moments when I'm running ftb because there is no ram left.

What can I do to keep the ram usage of ftb to what I want it to be? (3gb)

Edit: It's the same when I allocate 1gb. Whilst my system says that ~6gb is used on javaw, using F3 tells me the amount that I had allocated in the launcher. (Allocating only 1gb makes it run out of memory in no time)

TheSandwichMakr

Jul 29, 2019
Try killing one of the javaw processes, if it terminates minecraft start minecraft again and terminate the other one, java will never use more ram than you allow it. If minecraft did exceed its ram limits java would crash it. You can also try limiting the amount of ram the launcher can use by starting it through cmd.exe by typing cmd in the new task dialogue. Then using the command
java -jar "C:\Path\to\Feed the Beast.exe" -Xmx4096M
If this doesn't resolve them problem then follow these steps. If you are using any additional java arguments post them here. Post a screenshot of the task manager that shows both javaw processes and how much ram they're using. Let me know if you need any help with how to do any of these things.

Reactions: Barend

Barend

Jul 29, 2019
Try killing one of the javaw processes, if it terminates minecraft start minecraft again and terminate the other one, java will never use more ram than you allow it. If minecraft did exceed its ram limits java would crash it. You can also try limiting the amount of ram the launcher can use by starting it through cmd.exe by typing cmd in the new task dialogue. Then using the command
java -jar "C:\Path\to\Feed the Beast.exe" -Xmx4096M
If this doesn't resolve them problem then follow these steps. If you are using any additional java arguments post them here. Post a screenshot of the task manager that shows both javaw processes and how much ram they're using. Let me know if you need any help with how to do any of these things.

Ok I will try ending one of the processes. I was afraid it might corrupt my world but I figured I'll just back it up beforehand. In case doesn't work I'll try the command line. I'm not using any jawa arguments.
I'll post it later if one of the methods worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.