FTB Infinity: Steam Creation from RF possible?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Daniel_USA

Jul 29, 2019
Is there anything that lets you create Steam from RF?

I only know of Big Reactors and Steam Boilers but from my understanding Big Reactors requires a Reactor to create Steam and Steam Boilers only work off of burning stuff in it.

I want to generate RF and convert it to Steam.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Use RF to make something that can make steam in a boiler. Theres MFR boilers and Railcraft ones. Lava springs to mind.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
I am not sure if this is possible as most mods consider steam a fuel, and don't allow you to create fuels from energy (apart from lava, but that is almost always more expensive to create than it creates as a fuel).

But I have to ask, why would you possibly need this? There are plenty of methods of creating steam, just choose one of those, why specifically RF to steam?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
First refining energy from a fuel into raw energy(RF) and then wanting to take it backwards again to a step in between(steam) seems really counter-intuitive... May I ask what on earth do you need the steam for if not creating energy?

But if you really need to then as already mention the only options I see is making it back into a fuel of some sort. Lava(Magma Crucibles, Lava fabricator) or Oil(Oil fabricator) seems like the obvious choice, but it will be with significant loss. I don't see why you don't just use whatever energy fuel source you use in the first place to create RF to create the steam.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
The only reason why you may want to do this if your want to convert RF power into another form i.e Use the steam to power a Railcraft turbine to create EU power. But I have not found a good way yet to convert RF power to EU power without using a power converter.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well I really don't understand why people don't just set up some EU power production instead of going through all kind of loops to transform the power. Set up some nuclear reactors or something.

But honestly if that is all you want and you are not put off by having to replace turbines all the time, then why not just make a Big Reactor that outputs steam? The use some of your RF to rune a MFR laser drill or a quarry for Yellorium(among other things).

Reactions: rouge_bare

Daniel_USA

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed there are MFR Steam Boilers which I might use. I spawned in a Desert Biome and I plan on making a working Solar Power Station. My idea is to build actual solar panels that produce RF and use them to make steam inside the shaft of the Solar Power Station. At the top I want to make some Open Block tanks that hold water. It will be just for show but the actual thing will create Steam that will power a Big Reactor Turbine.

So I want to power a Big Reactor Turbine without using an actual Big Reactor.

Daniel_USA

Jul 29, 2019
The only reason why you may want to do this if your want to convert RF power into another form i.e Use the steam to power a Railcraft turbine to create EU power. But I have not found a good way yet to convert RF power to EU power without using a power converter.

You should be able to use an energy cell from thermal dynamics to convert to EU. Here is a video that shows a more technical approach than slapping an energy cell down.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I noticed there are MFR Steam Boilers which I might use. I spawned in a Desert Biome and I plan on making a working Solar Power Station. My idea is to build actual solar panels that produce RF and use them to make steam inside the shaft of the Solar Power Station. At the top I want to make some Open Block tanks that hold water. It will be just for show but the actual thing will create Steam that will power a Big Reactor Turbine.

So I want to power a Big Reactor Turbine without using an actual Big Reactor.
Look into Factorization(if it still exists in the mod, a lot have been removed in 1.7...) and use its Water Boilers being heated by Solar mirrors to create steam. Actual solar power generating steam.

Daniel_USA

Jul 29, 2019
I only plan on using Infinity the way it is, and I didn't believe that Steam was a fuel I thought it was considered a liquid.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I only plan on using Infinity the way it is, and I didn't believe that Steam was a fuel I thought it was considered a liquid.
Ehm, yeah they generate the steam liquid from water.
You build setups like this:
OUmaUzr.png

Here several boilers are stacked on top of each other. Each horizontal ring of mirrors heat its horizontal equivalent boiler. Water get sucked up from below the lowest boiler. Steam get output up the top(here to a Tesseract).

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
So then what you want to do is build a RC boiler and use the resulting steam to fuel the turbine. Simple enough.
Infinity does not have FZ. Still not sure why no one here immediately thought Railcraft when it came down to just creating steam.

Daniel_USA

Jul 29, 2019
I thought Railcraft but from what I understand you need to give it a solid or liquid fuel and I just want to use energy.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Thing is, few modders have thought of this and haven't actually made any items/blocks that use steam directly. As at now the only mod that uses steam as it's actual power is Prof Flaxbeard's Steampower mod but that mod doesn't use the fluid steam that other mods use (even though you can produce it with the mod).

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Daniel_USA

Jul 29, 2019
I already know what block will use the Steam, I need to know what block can CREATE THE STEAM FROM RF or even EU.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
If you REALLY want to you could go a fairly out of the way method. Turn the RF into Oil via an Oil Fabricator, refine the oil into Fuel, then use the Fuel to fuel a Liquid-Fueled Railcraft Steam Boiler. But honesty, why not set up a tree farm and feed a solid fueled steam boiler, it'd be an easy way to get steam. Also I'm fairly sure you'd lose RF if you made that steam back into RF. (You can probibly also do this with EU, but again it's likely really lossy.) There is no direct way to make RF into Steam.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I already know what block will use the Steam, I need to know what block can CREATE THE STEAM FROM RF or even EU.
Do try not to get shouty dear, people are only trying to help.

My immediate thought when you asked about this was that you wanted Flaxbeard as your main "thing" but wanted to use the nice easy RF generating options for providing plentiful power.

Reading on, I realise that isn't the case. What you seem to want to do is... odd. Why don't you want to use a big reactor? You're going to be making RF anyway - that's what the steam turbine... does!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well there is no way of creating steam from RF. But if you could you pretty PLEASE define it very clearly what you want to do then we might be able to help you in some other way. So far it is very unclear. You seem to want to make a RF solar panel farm, then transform the RF into steam. But WHY? What need for steam do you really have if not producing power? You mention converting into different kinds of power like EU. So you want to do:
Sunlight->Solarpanel->RF->Steam->EU ?
Why not just use EU solar panels?

Or you talk about running a Big Reactor Turbine from solar panels. You really want to do:
Sunlight->Solarpanel->RF->Steam->RF?
If this is your plan then even if you can transform RF to steam, the logistical problems involved are not simple. You would first have to have more than double the solar farm output in steam than your turbines consumption due to night time downtime as well as weather(it doesn't rain in a desert but most solar panels still don't work during rain or storms). Then you need an ENORMOUS steam storage to store this steam since the turbines consumption rate is very high. Only feasible solution I can think of is banks of ME drives with Extracells fluid storage cells.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
TBH I think the answer to OP's problem is a straight flat-out bolded for emphasis NO.
There are no ways to make steam with RF directly, like a RF powered heating element. Even outside the FTB pack I can't think of one mod that lets you do that directly.
Mainly becasue of the fact steam is considered a fuel for energy and it seems asinine to waste energy making a fuel to make energy (unless it was power positive, which most modders go to great lengths to stop). Also very few things need steam fro a purpose other then makeing energy, the RC steam furnace thing is the only exception I can think of.

Reactions: rouge_bare