FTB Beta Map to FTB Final Map?

Lynchy

Jul 29, 2019
G'day all

Just a quick question about the FTB Beta map generation compared to the FTB Final map generation.

I know the majority of the world generation mods are currently apart of the Beta client. However I have been recently told that there are a few types of ore that have not been implemented as of yet.

Am I going to have to start a new world to regenerate the map for the ore that is currently not available in the FTB Beta or is there a way of regenerating a certain cuboid such as stone?

Thanks
Lynchy

eisbaerBorealis

Jul 29, 2019
While some who watch Direwolf20's videos may think that Thaumcraft 3 will have this regeneration function you mentioned, I think that was specifically for the Forgecraft server, and will not be a part of the actual mod.

At the very least, we will need Nikolite from Redpower and all the Thaumcraft ores (there's a few). So you will either need to make a new world or as Niels suggested, use Mystcraft to make a new age once these mods come out, and the new ore will be generated there. Are you familiar with Mystcraft?

Oh, Xycraft also adds a ton of ores which will need to be generated. And probably more that I'm forgetting.

Narcisism

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower should be the only one you'd need to regen the world for. TC3, EE3, and XyCraft all have Post-Gen, so they'll generate ores in a world that's already created. Rather useful if you ask me :)

eisbaerBorealis

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have a source for that? Just because Azanor worked some magic on the Forgecraft server and generated some ores does not necessarily mean that it's a part of the mod. And I've never heard anything hinting that XyCraft has post-gen ores. Finally, I think it's been pretty solidly decided that EE3 will not include ANY world gen.

simon48xbox

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have a source for that? Just because Azanor worked some magic on the Forgecraft server and generated some ores does not necessarily mean that it's a part of the mod. And I've never heard anything hinting that XyCraft has post-gen ores. Finally, I think it's been pretty solidly decided that EE3 will not include ANY world gen.
How did Azanor do that? Does anyone know of a world editor that lets you do this?

eisbaerBorealis

Jul 29, 2019
How did Azanor do that? Does anyone know of a world editor that lets you do this?
There's some basic stuff out there that will completely regenerate chunks, but that'll get rid of people's houses and mineshafts and stuff.
Like I said, Azanor "worked some magic". I don't know exactly what he did, but it was some form of programming wizardry (progzardry) which randomly changed some stone blocks into ore blocks (and therefore added ore to some people's basements).
Sorry this isn't more useful, but I imagine one could program an algorithm into a world editor and exchange stone for ore, but I don't know of something out there that's ready-made. :/

damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
@Lynchy I am going to have to agree with eisbaerBorealis on this one. If you don't really want to use Mystcraft for a new mining age once RedPower comes out or if you like your world to much to restart the map then I suggest you keep your current base and exploring to a minimum with View distance turned on Small. This will help you by NOT generating more chunks than you need and once the other mods with ore generation come out you just have to go out in the world and generate new terrain.
As for Thaumcraft an XyCraft magic generation, again eisbaerBorealis put it very nicely. We have no information yet that this will be made possible for general use; it was performed on the ForgeCraft server because it is a test server under strict control, there were plenty developers around to fix broken stuff and also everybody understood the consequences.

eisbaerBorealis

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing to keep in mind, if I remember correctly, Azanor's ores did not show up in the Mystcraft ages. This stengthens my belief that the change was done manually, and not a part of the regular mod.

AnnaMayBelle

Jul 29, 2019
As I recall, when an update came along in "the modpack that shall not be named" that broke old SMP maps, someone made an instruction set for an already existing utility that would process a map, remove illegal blocks, alter blocks who's IDs had changed, etc. It didn't regenerate areas or add new ores into existing areas, but it -did- at least ensure that old maps could be loaded with the new game. It wasn't bug free, but at least it's a possibility for people who REALLY want to hold onto their old maps. My fiance and I are thrilled with the work we've been doing so far in our map and we'd like to maintain it straight through into future updates of FTB, and I hope that the "gather ores in a Mystcraft age" concept actually works out.

siriusblack9999

Jul 29, 2019
While some who watch Direwolf20's videos may think that Thaumcraft 3 will have this regeneration function you mentioned, I think that was specifically for the Forgecraft server, and will not be a part of the actual mod.

At the very least, we will need Nikolite from Redpower and all the Thaumcraft ores (there's a few). So you will either need to make a new world or as Niels suggested, use Mystcraft to make a new age once these mods come out, and the new ore will be generated there. Are you familiar with Mystcraft?

Oh, Xycraft also adds a ton of ores which will need to be generated. And probably more that I'm forgetting.
actually, azanor himself has stated that the post-gen mechanics he used are part of the actual mod, meaning that anyone can install thaumcraft 3 over an existing world and have the thaumcraft stuff generate as if it were a new world