Forum update 7/11/13

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I've just finished updating the forums with a new theme and a new version of xenforo. Please let me know if you find any issues by making a post in this thread with all the normal details (browser, screenshot, OS etc)

I also welcome comments if you have any, note I am currently working on a dark theme but it'll be a little while.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
I think I'll be viewing the forums from my phone until the dark theme debuts. The new theme looks nice but it is far too bright
Isn't it just as bright on the phone? It's the same theme now, isn't it?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for fixing the alerts background, it's much more readable already! :)

Can I still lobby for a little increase in alert window size and/or alert font size? It only pops out when you mouse over it, an action which implies the user actively wants to see it. Trying to save screen real estate in that situation seems counterintuitive.

(Note: I have a 24", 1200p screen, so nothing too far from the average nowadays)

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanEsh

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Moderation Queue is no longer providing links to the posts to be moderated. I always click-through to vet image assets as well as the location of the posting (you'd be surprised how many people just flat out post their listing in the wrong subforum, but that's another topic of discussion for another time), so it would be helpful to have this functionality restored as otherwise I now have to hunt down the on-forum posting to do this, increasing the review time when vetting new Server Promo threads.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
This definitely needs some tweaking--I think the red needs to be darker, particularly on the buttons. Also, we need SOME more contrast--even a very very light shade of red in certain areas would be better than just pure white. I'm also thinking we need a contrasting accent color--the old theme had white and orange, but it also had an accent color of dark gray/black. We could definitely use one here. ;)

Also, the buttons in the text editor need work--they should either be rounded or square. At the moment, they look like they're trying to do both, but...well...it's...it's not working out. :p

Also, why do we have a serif font as default now? It looks...strange. I prefer non-serif fonts online, especially for sites that are going for a cleaner look. ;)

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing--is there any particular reason the address for the forum changed from "forum.feed-the-beast.com/forum" to "forum.feed-the-beast.com/forums"? Because it's broken half of my bookmarks. :p

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
I've just had a check on the old theme and its actually not that different: http://i.imgur.com/6sw7yDm.png I believe the difference is the forum now fills peoples whole screens due to the responsive design and therefore more of the screen is white. The outer area is offwhite on this theme whereas it was dark grey on the old one but the content area which I assume is the area people are saying is too bright was actually the same

http://i.imgur.com/6sw7yDm.png

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
My dark theme is gone, now I got a bright whitescreen with black text. :(
I think I will have to wait until it gets back. :(

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I've just had a check on the old theme and its actually not that different: http://i.imgur.com/6sw7yDm.png I believe the difference is the forum now fills peoples whole screens due to the responsive design and therefore more of the screen is white. The outer area is offwhite on this theme whereas it was dark grey on the old one but the content area which I assume is the area people are saying is too bright was actually the same

http://i.imgur.com/6sw7yDm.png
And the formerly black text in signatures is now grey.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
I might just be imagining it but I think the buttons to go to the first unread post of a topic are a bit smaller. Also, the icon to show a sub-forum has new posts is now not as easy to tell apart from the icon to show that a sub-forum doesn't have new posts.
The option to switch between this theme and the old theme would be nice (if that isn't already available).

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
I might just be imagining it but I think the buttons to go to the first unread post of a topic are a bit smaller. Also, the icon to show a sub-forum has new posts is now not as easy to tell apart from the icon to show that a sub-forum doesn't have new posts.
The option to switch between this theme and the old theme would be nice (if that isn't already available).
There will be a new icon soon, I'll increase the text size on the recent posts tomorrow and its not possible to update the old theme due to breaking changes in the forum software

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, you can manually style it to black if you wish in the sig area but the default is grey so that they don't stand out as much and its clear they are not part of the post, is the color to light to read?
The entire theme is painful for my eyes. There's a dotted grey line at the top of the signature area that differentiates the post from the signature.
Also, this bit:
  1. Messages have been posted since you loaded this page. View them?
The "View them?" is hardly noticable at all on the red background.

There's also nothing breaking up the area with your name and title in threads. It's slightly off-white, and only staff have that cute little banner thing at the bottom.

There's just too much white. It looks like an unfinished Myspace page.

Also, I can't just click the big FTB Forums to skip past the news section. It now just refreshes the front page news. I liked that feature...
And I can't see the drop down menu for the sponsors in the top right. You have to mouse over it to get the dropdown. A new user won't know there's more up there without mousing over.

Last edited:

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Why can't you just recode a theme that looks like the old orange one? You know, one that actually looks good?
As an aside, the default font is really ugly now. I'll be sticking with my Arial, thanks.

Reactions: AlanEsh