Forge Lexicon

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
This thing is awesome!

What have you used it for?

Mine is converting Railcraft Steel to Traincraft Steel and then using the Traincraft track recipe to make 64 track with 6 ingots. Traincraft Steel really doesn't require more raw materials, but the recipe is complex as balls....

I suppose if you didn't want to build a Blast Furnace you could do the opposite....

(I felt dirty after bashing GregTech and thought I'd say something nice/constructive about a mod.)

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Well that sounds.... kind of cheaty... lol

I just use it to convert dungeon chest copper so it will stack with my processed copper :p

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
It shouldn't be feeling cheaty. The Forge Lexicon only does what recipes ought to be doing by default - being compatible with different kinds of the same resources. If jnads must use the Forge Lexicon to change the type of steel into one that Traincraft recognizes, then it is Traincraft's fault for not making its recipes ore dictionary aware. If they were, Railcraft or GregTech steel could be used interchangably with Traincraft steel directly in the recipe.

Traincraft kind of shows that it is still a work in progress in many areas. Here's hoping that the next update will make it play a bit nicer (and more balanced) with the rest of the Forge ecosystem.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Well that sounds.... kind of cheaty... lol

I just use it to convert dungeon chest copper so it will stack with my processed copper :p
Perhaps. But it takes _a lot_ of track to do anything worthwhile, and if anything the 64 track recipe encourages / revives traditional vanilla transportation.

Heck, I spent 3 stacks of track building a minecart "stairwell" so people could get to my house (z75 to z120).

Otherwise everyone reverts to Mystcraft / Portals / Jetpacks.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
It shouldn't be feeling cheaty. The Forge Lexicon only does what recipes ought to be doing by default - being compatible with different kinds of the same resources. If jnads must use the Forge Lexicon to change the type of steel into one that Traincraft recognizes, then it is Traincraft's fault for not making its recipes ore dictionary aware. If they were, Railcraft or GregTech steel could be used interchangably with Traincraft steel directly in the recipe.

Traincraft kind of shows that it is still a work in progress in many areas. Here's hoping that the next update will make it play a bit nicer (and more balanced) with the rest of the Forge ecosystem.
Yeah I meant more the recipe itself seems cheaty. For instance Slowpoke left out that one steam mod because it made farms easier than forestry and he felt that was cheaty

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I can't really understand some of the mod choices either. But, it's not so bad... those that I don't want around, I simply disable in the launcher :)