Forge Hammer and Cutter with AutoCrafting in AE?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Is it possible to setup auto-crafting with AE using the Forge Hammer and Cutter? The problem is that the Forge Hammer is used up by crafting so I'm not sure how to make it automatically do this with AE. Any hints?

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to setup auto-crafting with AE using the Forge Hammer and Cutter? The problem is that the Forge Hammer is used up by crafting so I'm not sure how to make it automatically do this with AE. Any hints?

if the ae system knows how to make a forge hammer you should have no problem adding the recipes involving the forge hammer.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Perhaps but I'm wondering if the AE system can handle crafting recepies where some of the items are not destroyed (as is the case when the Forge Hammer has sufficient durability left).

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Perhaps but I'm wondering if the AE system can handle crafting recepies where some of the items are not destroyed (as is the case when the Forge Hammer has sufficient durability left).
I have no problem with crafting recipes that use buckets of some liquid, so the forge hammers and cutters might work. The buckets work well even when crafting with external machines and interfaces. I suggest, however, to replace the forge hammer and cutter with a metal former each. If you have enough energy to run an ME network with a molecular assembler chamber, running two metal formers for autocrafting should not present a problem.

While I'm at it: if at all possible, use the BC assembly table to make your AE processors. Takes more time and energy, but it's far less expensive and doesn't require using a tool with durability.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013

Yes. For crafting purposes it ignores the damage value on tools. And if the tool breaks, it'll craft a new one the next time the recipe is called for.

I haven't tried it specifically with these tools but it worked for minium stone recipes back in 1.5 so I don't see why not.

Also what the above poster said, it's pretty trivial to hook up a pair of metal formers and set them to rolling and cutting mode respectively :)

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Aha ok. Well I don't know IC2 that well. I'm currently just trying to use it to get my modular power armor fully geared up :)
I'll try to connect up the metal former. My entire energy system is based on RF. What's the best way to feed a metal former with RF?
Can I easily convert RF to EU? I tried mekanism universal cables to connect RF system to my IC2 compactor and it works but it is
EXTREMELY slow. Is there a better way?

Solotov

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure the metal former is just a slow machine, can't remember if you can overclock it or not. Personally though, I think the time saved from just using the cutters/hammer is worth the extra material use.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Pretty sure the metal former is just a slow machine, can't remember if you can overclock it or not. Personally though, I think the time saved from just using the cutters/hammer is worth the extra material use.

I don't mean that the machine is slow. I mean that the EU build up in the machine is slow. It says 2 EU/tick but that doesn't appear to be true. It takes a huge deal of time to get enough power to do anything. It works fine if I use a battery which I charged with a generator but I'd prefer to convert from my RF power as I don't have to worry about it in that case.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So in order:
1.You can't feed RF into IC2 machines.
2.To convert RF to EU you can use an energy bridge with an RF consumer and EU producer (assuming you have powerconverters in the pack)
3.In IC2e, pretty much everything can be overclocked. Add more overclocker upgrades to vastly improve the speed (at the expense of power). Each machine can accept up to 16 of them, although more than 12 becomes problematic unless you use energy storage upgrades, since the energy use per operation goes over the amount the machine's internal storage can hold by itself :)

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
So in order:
1.You can't feed RF into IC2 machines.
2.To convert RF to EU you can use an energy bridge with an RF consumer and EU producer (assuming you have powerconverters in the pack)
3.In IC2e, pretty much everything can be overclocked. Add more overclocker upgrades to vastly improve the speed (at the expense of power). Each machine can accept up to 16 of them, although more than 12 becomes problematic unless you use energy storage upgrades, since the energy use per operation goes over the amount the machine's internal storage can hold by itself :)

Yes I have powerconvertors. I'll look at that. Strange though that Mekanism's universal cables don't seem to work too well (or are too slow)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Regarding the machine speeds: On the machine it says something like 2 EU/t, 32 EU/t max. You can overclock them to accept more power, and use a transformer upgrade to increase the power maximum if the overclockers would put you at more than 32 EU/t. Copper cables can handle up to 128 EU/t. More than that and you'll need gold