Forestry Wiki - Fermenter wrong values?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
After a couple of tests it seems, that the forestry wiki has wrong values for source -> biomass conversion.
In my tests i used a redstone cell set to 80 MJ/t as output, with water and fertilizer as the other ingredients.
After each test the fermenter was destroyed and refilled with 10 buckets of water + fertilizer, so no spillover from previous tests. (resulting numbers are my interpretation of the graphical display of fullness, didn't build a railcraft tank for absolute numbers)
10 saplings -> 8.2 biomass
60 cactus, reeds, shrooms, wheat -> 6.6 biomass
20 plantballs -> 8.7 biomass
16 comp. plantballs -> 8 biomass

Interpretation:
1 sapling = 0.82 biomass
1 cactus/reed/shroom/wheat = 0.11 biomass
1 plantball = 0.435 biomass
1 comp. plantball = 0.5 biomass

Big differences for cactus/reed/shroom, small ones for the rest (comp. being spot on).

Spasticon

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. In my experience the information on the Forestry Wiki is spotty. I'm not surprised that there is some discrepancy.

Your research matches my experience. I was expecting to have received more biomass out of reeds... although I didn't follow up with the level of detailed work you put into it.

For those confused by what MilConDoin is talking about... here are the figures from the Forestry Wiki:
Organic Input Output per item (buckets)
Saplings 0.8
Wheat 0.1
Cactus 0.2
Sugar Cane 0.2
Mushroom 0.2
Plantball (IC2, 1.3+) 0.4
Compressed Plantball (IC2, 1.3+) 0.5

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
You have to consider that the figures on the wiki date from 1.4.4.x .. Since that time, Sengir might very well have nerfed cactus, reed and mushrooms. The 0.01 more is fairly negligible for the most part.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
In the latest versions, you can configure the Fermenter in the config files.

Here are the defaults for 1.6.2.8:

Code:
#####################
# FERMENTER
#####################
# modifies the amount of cycles a fertilizer can keep a fermenter going.
fermenter.cycles.fertilizer=200
# modifies the amount of cycles compost can keep a fermenter going.
fermenter.cycles.compost=250
# modifies the amount of biomass per cycle a fermenter will produce using fertilizer.
fermenter.value.fertilizer=56
# modifies the amount of biomass per cycle a fermenter will produce using compost.
fermenter.value.compost=48
# modifies the amount of biomass a sapling will yield in a fermenter.
fermenter.yield.sapling=800
# modifies the amount of biomass a piece of cactus will yield in a fermenter.
fermenter.yield.cactus=100
# modifies the amount of biomass a mushroom will yield in a fermenter.
fermenter.yield.wheat=100
# modifies the amount of biomass a piece of sugar cane will yield in a fermenter.
fermenter.yield.cane=100

The gamemode configs are still a work in progress (as you can see in the faulty description of the wheat setting), but this part already largely works. The numbers are in mB, and 1000 mB = 1 bucket.

Piripács

Jul 29, 2019
Don't rely and pay attention to that wiki! It's so outdated!

I don't understand, that why so much people complaining (in many places, forums, web-pages, etc.) about that; the things in the Forestry wiki are not correct.
MAKE A RESEARCH AND READ before posting!

SirSengir doesn't have time to updtae the wiki, that's why HE ASKING FOR HELP for a maintainer for the wiki, in the mod's Mincraft Forum page:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...ft-trees-bees-and-more-1641-updated-22122012/

Scroll down to section M and you can see:

"M. Help Wanted:
Maintainer for the wiki. I currently can't keep up with the documentation. Any help there would be appreciated."

Greylocke

Jul 29, 2019
Am I missing something regarding the usefulness of plantballs? It takes eight items to produce just one, which nets less biomass than if you were to input the items themselves. The exception is leaves, which the fermenter cannot process directly. It seems to me that plantballs should have roughly the same biomass output as a sapling.

Is there some other process that I'm missing? Or are plantballs pretty much just a bad deal for anything except leaves?

Skyleaf

Jul 29, 2019
Am I missing something regarding the usefulness of plantballs? It takes eight items to produce just one, which nets less biomass than if you were to input the items themselves. The exception is leaves, which the fermenter cannot process directly. It seems to me that plantballs should have roughly the same biomass output as a sapling.

Is there some other process that I'm missing? Or are plantballs pretty much just a bad deal for anything except leaves?
If I'm not mistaken, seeds can't be processed either, but they can be turned into plantballs. I think that plantballs are only useful for things the fermenter can't directly process. Otherwise, as you said, you get a loss in biomass produced.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
You get plantballs from scraboxes too. So they're not useful for turning fermentables into 'better' fermentables (that would make no sense anyway) but they are useful for turning seeds into fermentables or to get from scrapboxes.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
No, the forestry wiki is simply completely outdated. The default settings are simply different from what's on the wiki. And I did some tests a while ago and it seems that either he nerfed the amount of biomass for a cane / cactus or the config has no effect, because I got 144mB for a cane and not the 100mB that's in the config.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. In my experience the information on the Forestry Wiki is spotty. I'm not surprised that there is some discrepancy.

Your research matches my experience. I was expecting to have received more biomass out of reeds... although I didn't follow up with the level of detailed work you put into it.

For those confused by what MilConDoin is talking about... here are the figures from the Forestry Wiki:
Organic Input Output per item (buckets)
Saplings 0.8
Wheat 0.1
Cactus 0.2
Sugar Cane 0.2
Mushroom 0.2
Plantball (IC2, 1.3+) 0.4
Compressed Plantball (IC2, 1.3+) 0.5

I punched those numbers into my calculator. It made a happy face.

Anyway, thanks.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
(resulting numbers are my interpretation of the graphical display of fullness, didn't build a railcraft tank for absolute numbers)

There's a handy setting you can toggle in Forestry config that lets you see numbers for liquids in its machines without having to take them out and put them in something like a Railcraft tank. In forestry/common.conf:

Code:
tweaks.tooltip.liquidamount.disabled=false

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
There's a handy setting you can toggle in Forestry config that lets you see numbers for liquids in its machines without having to take them out and put them in something like a Railcraft tank. In forestry/common.conf:

Code:
tweaks.tooltip.liquidamount.disabled=false
Found that option already sometime around new year, but thanks anyway :)

Piripács

Jul 29, 2019

(Doesn't it 8 itesm produce 2 plantballs, or I was change it in the config?)

I'm not really understand what is this all about the plantball's fermenter values.
The Plantballs are IndustrialCraft2 things, the Fermenter is a Forestry stuff. Its just a plus feature of the fermenter, that they can accept plantballs (things from another mod) to produce biomass. I think it is not a really good idea to compare plantball's fermentation values to the those items, because the values of those items themselves are directly Forestry things and plantballs are not. Plantballs have their own usefulness in their own mod, in the IC2.

So, yes, I think the plantball is a bad idea to make biomass.
Use it in their own mod, in the IC2.

Greylocke

Jul 29, 2019
(Doesn't it 8 itesm produce 2 plantballs, or I was change it in the config?)

I'm not really understand what is this all about the plantball's fermenter values.
So, yes, I think the plantball is a bad idea to make biomass.
Use it in their own mod, in the IC2.
1 I think you misunderstood the point of my post.
2 Plantballs ARE a good source of biomass, because they allow you to recycle leaves and wheat seeds. But for items that are directly fermentable AND able to make plantballs, the biomass value for plantballs doesn't make sense.