Forestry Trees and Extra Trees

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
In Monster, I built an enclosed area to breed all the different Forestry trees. Initially I intended it to be a butterfly area (based on an old forum post) but that didn't really work (butterflys seem to die faster than they naturally spawn). Bees in alvearies works fine.

When I get a new species sapling from my tree breeding area, I take it to my base and use a Forestry Multi-farm to grow that single sapling into 100 stacks or so ("a lot"). Usually it works fine, taking a few hours, but for some species the sapling drop rate is so low that I just can't get anywhere. There's less than one sapling drop per tree!! So eventually all the saplings are gone. What is the solution? I don't want to cross-breed at this point, all I'm trying to do is build up a "catalog" of all the different species of trees, but all pures, no cross-breeds mixing in. Perhaps for some species that IS the only way to make them, to cross-breed em? Can that really be the case?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
...Use Grafters? Don't they give basically a 100% chance to get a sapling?

The grafter isn't the issue, that's how I get my initial saplings. Then I take those saplings and put them into a Forestry Multi-Farm to make lots of saplings. This is the point where I have a problem. The Cashew species, for instance, if I use the grafter to get four of them, I plant them in the Multi-Farm and when I come back they're all gone, because the tree doesn't have many leaf blocks and the leaf blocks don't drop many (if any) saplings. So how am I supposed to make Cashew saplings in enough quantity to ever be able to do anything with them?

Oh I see what you mean, I need to take a grafter and collect the leaf blocks manually instead of waiting for them to naturally de-spawn and let the Forestry Multi-Farm collect them for me (which is only a small chance to get a sapling).

Kind of defeats the purpose of the multi-farm, but yeah, okay, I guess you win. I really dislike manual things, isn't this why we have automated multi-blocks like multi-farm?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The grafter isn't the issue, that's how I get my initial saplings. Then I take those saplings and put them into a Forestry Multi-Farm to make lots of saplings. This is the point where I have a problem. The Cashew species, for instance, if I use the grafter to get four of them, I plant them in the Multi-Farm and when I come back they're all gone, because the tree doesn't have many leaf blocks and the leaf blocks don't drop many (if any) saplings. So how am I supposed to make Cashew saplings in enough quantity to ever be able to do anything with them?
Most those trees are not meant to be farmed like that with their default stats. They are fruit trees that you plant and then pick their fruit. If you want to farm them for their wood you will have to crossbreed them to drop more saplings per tree.

But like @YX33A suggests: Use the Grafter to get more saplings. The grafter doesnt just work on mutated leaves, it works on any forestry compatible leaves and guarentees a sapling.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Most those trees are not meant to be farmed like that with their default stats. They are fruit trees that you plant and then pick their fruit. If you want to farm them for their wood you will have to crossbreed them to drop more saplings per tree.

I just had a hard time believing that to be the case, but yeah, I guess I concur.

But like @YX33A suggests: Use the Grafter to get more saplings. The grafter doesnt just work on mutated leaves, it works on any forestry compatible leaves and guarentees a sapling.

Yeah, I get my proven grafters from a Villager in a safari net and an MFR Auto-Spawner so no problem there, infinite supply.

And while I'm here... another one of my pet peeves with minecraft in general, once I've gotten to chestnuts, is there really a need to create all these trees and different "fruits" besides the aesthetic value (for the colored woods)? I wish every item had multiple uses instead of basically being "throw-away" items, but then again I wish a lot of things. :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I just had a hard time believing that to be the case, but yeah, I guess I concur.
No its quite intentional. Trees have very different stats. Some trees grow huge trees with lots of wood, other grows fruit or nuts that can be picked over and over without cutting down the tree. And then again other trees drop tons and tons of saplings that are great for biofuel production. What would be the point of treebreeding if every tree would just be the same?

But I this is all just talking about default tree stats. Never really done it myself, but believe that just like bees you can manually crossbreed species to give trees the traits you want. So if you really want to have a fruit tree in a wood farm then you CAN give it higher sapling dropchances. It just doesn't occur "naturally".

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
No its quite intentional. Trees have very different stats. Some trees grow huge trees with lots of wood, other grows fruit or nuts that can be picked over and over without cutting down the tree. And then again other trees drop tons and tons of saplings that are great for biofuel production. What would be the point of treebreeding if every tree would just be the same?

But I this is all just talking about default tree stats. Never really done it myself, but believe that just like bees you can manually crossbreed species to give trees the traits you want. So if you really want to have a fruit tree in a wood farm then you CAN give it higher sapling dropchances. It just doesn't occur "naturally".
Such as getting a alverary upgrade that gets the pollen from trees that the bees would otherwise add to other trees?(sieve upgrade IIRC)
Or use Gendustry to do the same thing, but also to force mutations?

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
If monster has gendustry use an industrial grafter and every leaf block drops multiple saplings from forestry trees.