[Forestry] Sinister bees?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
I've read that if you breed a Pure Modest with a Pure Cultivated, you unlock the Sinister Bee branch. So far I've breed 10 Modest with 10 Cultivated and only gotten hybrid Cultivated. I'm wondering if I misunderstood or have been misguided in the breeding of the two species.

I DO NOT have Extra Bees installed but from what I read on the guide, Sinister comes from just the Forestry mod.

Ideas? Thanks

Zerro0713

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Sinister bee can be a result of mutation only in very harsh environment, you won't get them in normal world.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
Sinister bee can be a result of mutation only in very harsh environment, you won't get them in normal world.

I know this post is trying to be subtle, but I'll just say it directly: Breed your bees in the nether and you may get different results.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Of course, this comes with the obvious caveats.
The hint on the old wiki was pretty obvious about which species you need to breed, but the real fun is making your bees survive in there. The Nether is:
Hellishly hot. (That is, maximum temperature)
Arid.
a Cave (that is, it has no access to the sky).

You'll need either advanced genetic machines or some very careful breeding to get them in there, and your reward is a bunch of bees which hate you intensely.

Good luck! You'll need it.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
a Cave (that is, it has no access to the sky).

If you don't want to or can't breed the Cave trait into your bees, there are ways to get on top of the nether, where you can see the "sky". I've successfully bred non-cave-dwelling bees up there before.

...actually, scratch that. I just tested and bees in the nether don't seem to care whether they're cave dwellers or not, and will work without sky visibility regardless.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
It's never...? Curses! Curses!

Oh well, I think I have a nocturnal line somewhere *mutter, mutter*

Anyway, as you can tell, it's quite a challenge.

Although the nocturnal line in particular... there's one bee you'll probably find fairly early on that yields it, hint hint.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
The bees from desert will work in the nether.

That is one of the easy ways to breed the infernal branch.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Use a modest princess, and cultivated drone, not the other way around and you can avoid all the advanced genetics early on.
(Remember the princess' stats determine the environment)​
Once you've unlocked your hellish branch, a bit of cross breeding can give you fast, nocturnal workers that don't sting.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, in 1.4.2 I had non stinging bees producing phosphor in my desert base and was just setting up the squeezer for lava when the update to 1.4.6 happened.

In 1.4.2, the nether wasn't "hellish", just hot, andif you lost environmental tolerance from a princess you could never use her - anywhere. Current version fixes that. Now if you lose tolerance you just can't use them in a desert.

Note you must mutate the line in the nether, but once you're at end of line (or wherever you decide to stop) you can move them to any hot/arid environment, but only if you maintain "down_2" on temperature tolerance.

Shamporo19951989

Jul 29, 2019
hii,

I have an problem with the sinister bee...
i have 2 pure breeds sinister bees an princess and an drone, But the queen says in the nether that it can only work when it's day, and in the overworld is the biome not right, does someone have any idea how to fix this. Cause i went through hell to get this set of bees XD

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
hii,

I have an problem with the sinister bee...
i have 2 pure breeds sinister bees an princess and an drone, But the queen says in the nether that it can only work when it's day, and in the overworld is the biome not right, does someone have any idea how to fix this. Cause i went through hell to get this set of bees XD
Use the Extra Bees machines and serums(or whatever the mechanic is now) to change the traits to something you like better.