Forestry: Fruit doesn't ripen?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I planted some cherry trees in order to crossbreed them and left the server for several hours, but the cherries are still green and the leaves don't drop any cherries. It can't take that long for them to ripen can it?
It works if I use bone meal on the leaves though.
If I understand it correctly I plant the tree and let the fruit ripen. Am I doing it wrong or did the behaviour change in recent forestry versions?
The trees are planted in an Ocean biome and the area is chunkloaded. Maybe they don't like ocean biome?
I also recently planted a walnut and a lemon tree. Let's see about those.

Edit: I just looked into the changelog:
#251: Fix #300: Fruits on leaves do not ripen
I'll try using the latest dev version later

Last edited:

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
Using chestnut trees in ME^3, I'm finding that they take a long time to ripen & have a really low drop rate (a stack of bonemeal will get me maybe 8 chestnuts). I think we're supposed to work towards breeding better trees using the pollens collected by bees. There's a reason I dropped forestry when I moved to the 1.6.x packs.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Using chestnut trees in ME^3, I'm finding that they take a long time to ripen & have a really low drop rate (a stack of bonemeal will get me maybe 8 chestnuts). I think we're supposed to work towards breeding better trees using the pollens collected by bees. There's a reason I dropped forestry when I moved to the 1.6.x packs.

I used Forestry in 1.7.10 recently and it does indeed seem like you need to spend some time and effort breeding to get decent fruit/nut production. Honey is probably a more reliable source of 1.5x multiplier for Ethanol, if that's what you're using the fruit juice for.

I bred a good (best ?) sapling for grapefruit and it was keeping up nicely with my 4-boiler Ethanol production system.

For seed oil, I think nut trees are still the best way to go, despite the apparent nerfs. Wheat seeds are....painful.

Sadly, charcoal is orders of magnitude easier. I can't fathom why ethanol receives constant whacks with the nerfbat.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I updated Forestry and I think it's working properly now.
The ripening is slow indeed. Does the Matures trait determine how long it takes?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I updated Forestry and I think it's working properly now.
The ripening is slow indeed. Does the Matures trait determine how long it takes?

Close.

Matures is how fast it goes from sapling to tree.
Yield is how fast the fruit/nut grows/ripens on the leaves.

Lemon trees have about the best/fastest 'Yield'. But, the fruit you want to ripen is grapefruit. You can further speed up the process with the ripening effect from Fruity Bees.

Reactions: asb3pe and ljfa

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Close.

Matures is how fast it goes from sapling to tree.
Yield is how fast the fruit/nut grows/ripens on the leaves.

Lemon trees have about the best/fastest 'Yield'. But, the fruit you want to ripen is grapefruit. You can further speed up the process with the ripening effect from Fruity Bees.
I see, that makes more sense.
I don't have Extra Trees or Extra Bees available unfortunately.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Edit : Sorry, I think Plum trees have the best/fastest Yield.

I'm at work and don't have access to the game to access NEI. You'll have to verify yourself. It's either Plum or Lemon.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Edit : Sorry, I think Plum trees have the best/fastest Yield.

I'm at work and don't have access to the game to access NEI. You'll have to verify yourself. It's either Plum or Lemon.
Yea it is Plum. It is bred with Lemon+Cherry.[DOUBLEPOST=1414926005,1414781184][/DOUBLEPOST]I think the Yield trait actually determines how much drops you get when harvesting the leaves: When I cut down a plum tree I get like 20 plums vs. 6 lemons from a lemon tree.
But a lemon in the squeezer gives 400 mb of fruit juice vs. 100 mb from a plum. I'm not sure if the plum actually yields four times as much as the lemon. The best would be a lemon with high yield.