Fireproofing flammable blocks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zuiko

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to prevent a flammable block from burning when the block is in close proximity to lava? I tried putting a water source block on top of the flammable block hoping it would put out the flames before it is destroyed or prevent the fire in the first place but it doesn't seem to work that way.

The reason I am wondering is I started playing with the Ampz pack and for some reason the copper wires are flagged as flammable (like bookshelves or wood), which is problematic for trying to keep heat generators (which must sit on lava source blocks) connected. The wires randomly burn.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
you could encapsulate the wires in construction foam. Don't know if that will help or not, but CF does not burn.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
you could encapsulate the wires in construction foam. Don't know if that will help or not, but CF does not burn.
Ampz uses UE, not IC2, mate.
I'd suggest using a different type of wire if you can. Or, if you can only afford copper, make hidden copper wires, which IIRC don't burn. IIRC you can make those in Ampz. If you have Mekinsim I'd suggest looking into it's, uh, Universal Cable? Been a long time. Anyway it looks very fancy and shouldn't burn(not to mention should work with IC2 and BC3 as well as UE without a converter of some kind).

Reactions: PeggleFrank

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Universal cable won't burn. Heat gens are very low power producers anyway to you probably will want to move on from them fairly quickly

Reactions: PhantomRage

PhantomRage

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, they are burning up due to extreme voltages I believe (too many heat gens maybe? never understood how UE power worked). I usually just would upgrade to a better type of wire imo. Universal cables are great in terms of transfering any type of voltage power.

neiromaru

Jul 29, 2019
Fire takes up a block space on the face of the block that is burning. So if you cover every side of the flammable block there is no space for the fire to form.

Well unless it burns like an entity, I've never used UE so I can't be sure. I know I've used this to prevent wool from burning despite one of it's faces being in direct contact with lava. (the lava itself "covered" that face).

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Fire takes up a block space on the face of the block that is burning. So if you cover every side of the flammable block there is no space for the fire to form.

Well unless it burns like an entity, I've never used UE so I can't be sure. I know I've used this to prevent wool from burning despite one of it's faces being in direct contact with lava. (the lava itself "covered" that face).

glass microblock covers works too. they fill the blockspace, and will thus prevent any fire entity from spawning, while still not entirely filling up the entire block.
for wool next to fire, one can make a wool antiblock, then add the glass cover to give a cool impression of having a glass firestop plate embedded in the floor :cool: (too bad the TiCo clear glass is not compatible with forge microblocks. cuz that would be just pure win.

Jul 29, 2019
Universal cable won't burn. Heat gens are very low power producers anyway to you probably will want to move on from them fairly quickly

Their output can be bumped up a bit by surrounding them with lava source blocks (one below, one on the same level as the generator in the cardinal directions and one on top. I didn't test the diagonal.)

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not familiar with UE so I might suggest something that won't work xP

Like others said, covering all sides should prevent fire from spawning. Also, it has a higher spread radius above the lava than below it (it's kinda like fire I believe, 1-2 down and ~6 up), so putting the wires on the under side and the lava on top might be smart as well.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Heat gens are very low power producers anyway to you probably will want to move on from them fairly quickly
i wouldnt be so sure. heat gen can also burn stuff for power similar to coal generator, including liquid fuels.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
i wouldnt be so sure. heat gen can also burn stuff for power similar to coal generator, including liquid fuels.
I actually would be sure. You have to spam them once you get past a certain point, especially in mixed mod uses. In the RR 1.5.2 pack I've used them to power my manual TE machine line. I setup 4 heat gens with all sides covered and it was fine, for a while. Once you start loading hoppers with ores, running magma crucible, and more it tops out.

I like them. They're cheap, but to me it's like the ic2 generator. Good for starting out but not good enough once you start getting established resource wise. But by all means, enjoy them.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I actually would be sure. You have to spam them once you get past a certain point, especially in mixed mod uses. In the RR 1.5.2 pack I've used them to power my manual TE machine line. I setup 4 heat gens with all sides covered and it was fine, for a while. Once you start loading hoppers with ores, running magma crucible, and more it tops out.

I like them. They're cheap, but to me it's like the ic2 generator. Good for starting out but not good enough once you start getting established resource wise. But by all means, enjoy them.
have you tried to put fuel into them?

heat gen basically is a mekanism`s equivalent of IC2 generator, with ability to generate free power and better looking.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I've thought about trying to optimize them, but I just felt the effort was better placed in a more complex energy project