Filler clear tool

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

L0neGamer

Jul 29, 2019
When I use it, it does not drop the blocks.... is this a bug? in other packs where I've used it, it drops the blocks as entities, but now they just disappear.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
When I use it, it does not drop the blocks.... is this a bug? in other packs where I've used it, it drops the blocks as entities, but know they just disappear.

The filler dropping blocks was a bug that was just patched the last update cycle. You can TECHNICAL grab blocks if you run after it, but that is really hard to do.

So yes, to confirm, it is not a bug.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
That it dropped blocks wasn't a bug. It got nerfed because so many people started using it as a miner instead of a filler.

At least I remember years ago I experimented with fillers for tree harvesting, so if it really was a bug it's been in BC and ignored for years.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
That it dropped blocks wasn't a bug. It got nerfed because so many people started using it as a miner instead of a filler.

At least I remember years ago I experimented with fillers for tree harvesting, so if it really was a bug it's been in BC and ignored for years.

Yeah, perhaps "exploit" is a better term for that, and I have been known to confuse the two terms in my posts. Thanks!

Reactions: whythisname

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019

It's been ignored for so long because in the past, people using Buildcraft generally used it because they installed it manually and wanted to use it- and use it properly.

Now it's part of a much larger modpack with tons of options. A very popular modpack, in which people (seemingly including OP) use the cheapest of methods from each mod to obtain what would be riches in a vanilla world but can be considered paltry in the FTB packs. The filler was doing alright until FTB made heavily-modded Minecraft as accessible as Vanilla Minecraft, diluting the player base.

There's nothing wrong with the want to amass materials, or use the cheapest methods, just stating what happened. Not trying to fanboy or be a hipster about modded Minecraft in the least. Rather, I think it's excellent what FTB is doing and it's a great way to expose modded Minecraft to those who otherwise wouldn't even bother.

Reactions: whythisname

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
The filler was doing alright until FTB made heavily-modded Minecraft as accessible as Vanilla Minecraft, diluting the player base.

You do know that FTB is not the first mod pack, nor the first really popular one, right?

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
I can understand why you'd want the blocks to remain though. Nothing quite as depressing when your low on materials to watch it delete a huge copper seem. I do chase it so I can grab what I can, but I never set it up for mining purposes. That always seemed like a good way to lose items anyway, you're inventory just isn't large enough, and running after blocks seems tedious work, i'd rather be do other things while a quarry mines at a resonable speed.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Running after blocks is next to impossible if you run a filler off of a Redstone Energy Cell at any decent output. If you're hurting for resources, use the ever-so-cheap mining turtle to excavate the area. Just guesstimate how much fuel it needs for the size you want and keep an eye on it.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
It's "balanced" now...

Used to be a good way to take down structures and erect them somewhere else with the builder...

oh well

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
I hate turtles, I did programming for a living, it's work, not fun. If I wanted to type a bucket load of code i'd be making mods, not playing them. Computer craft is like inception, coding within coding within coding, it's horrible and tedious. Turtles may be cheap to make and use materials wise, but they are a headache, and watching walls of text just bores me. After having seen Guude's let's play I can safely say, turtles are never the best answer. There's always a better way, it's just more material intensive. And to be honest i'd rather go branch mining for materials than spend my time debugging a turtle, it's minecraft, not codecraft.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Turtles are never the best answer for you, then.

You were just bashing that guy in the other thread for reasons you don't like him.. I don't particularly like your negativity and melodramatic ranting as evident in that reply and this one.

To have a turtle excavate, the command is simply "excavate X" where X is the dimensions. The command "excavate 9" would excavate a 9x9 hole. No programming, no walls of text, and perhaps the easiest automatic mining method available, especially early game.

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
You were just bashing that guy in the other thread for reasons you don't like him

Way to put this out of context, you mean the guy who wants permission from the mods to swear at people and be offensive without getting banned. Yeh, he's so loveable, i'm sure everyone should take a positive attitude to that kind of person, ofcourse my response was negative.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
After having seen Guude's let's play I can safely say, turtles are never the best answer. There's always a better way, it's just more material intensive.

Your idea of "better" and my idea of "better" may not be entirely related, but I consider "better" the way that uses the least amount of resources. I consider "joy" a resource that is used when I am doing something boring/tedious (such as manually building sugar cane farms), "time" a resource that I often have little of, but can invest greatly on a simple project if I am getting joy out of it instead of invest joy, and the least important resource being MineCraft in game resources. I'll willingly spend a boatload of in game resources if it saves me time and keeps me from investing joy without a good return. But I'll pinch every diamond-penny that I can if I get to spend my time writing an interesting LUA script to do something I could have done in five minutes, as I enjoy it.

Thank the internet gods (Al Gore?) that I am not a professional programmer, because hating programming would be a horrible life.

And to be honest i'd rather go branch mining for materials than spend my time debugging a turtle, it's minecraft, not codecraft.

Go for it. Or make a quarry. Quarries are much easier to do than mining turtles. Or, better yet, IC2 miners so you get loads of resources without all of the extra junk, and the destroyed terrain. Good luck!

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
It's not out of context. Were you not bashing the guy? Were you not- in your own words- insulting him? Let's not get up in arms when you have to taste what you dish out. If you want to continue this take it to PM with me and let's not clutter up this thread with an off topic argument. There was a good bit of on-topic in my post that you could have responded to, as well.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
I may be completely wrong ... but wasn't there a config setting exactly for this behaviour? Granted, this does not help in SMP, but for SSP it should be possible to switch it back to the old setting - that is, if I remember correct. ;)