Favorite Biomes and Starting Locations

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
Favorite Biomes and Starting Locations are what I am looking for in this thread. I figured this thread could be useful to people starting new worlds or looking for a new place to call home. ALSO MAKE SURE TO SAY WHY.

Mine would be plains bordered by extreme hills and hot springs. My favorite starting location is hot springs or the biome that is covered with barley. (Name??) why? Extreme hills has emeralds, hot springs has surface ores and lava and spring water. And the barley and plains biomes are generally flat and have lots of food. ALSO ONE MORE RULE. DO NOT MENTION DESERT/OCEAN OIL FIELD BIOMES as they are obviously the best starting biomes. Thank you for your time. :)

Signature or Sign-Nature?

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
well firstly, I don't really use oil so the last two aren't that obvious.

but i say plains. why? because its easier to build on

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Oil field isn't really the "best". It gives you a bit of a boost in energy, but no more than can be got from dartcraft, or a decent tree farm.

Personally, it depends on what my plan for the world is going to be. If I might be starting bees any time soon, then obviously, I go for a normal/normal biome (I'd quite like bees to become acclimatised to the place they are, so you don't get modest breeding into non-desert species), and probably others in reasonable range (so as to breed those lines).

To be honest my usual impetus is that I can't be bothered to build a starting base. I've settled in TC mounds, redwood trees, desert temples, villages and Ars Magica towers, all to prevent myself from needing to build stuff.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
If BoP biomes are included then Jade Cliffs are my favorite biome to settle in. The terrain is cool and underground you'll find Emeralds that I like to use with TiC to get an early Silk Touch Pick/Hammer.

There are many biomes I like visiting before settling down though, to get the "specialties" they have (mostly various plants/trees). Especially the BoP Orchard, BoP Apple Trees are among my favorite trees as they give so much food along with a little wood. I'm not really a huge fan of farming, so getting 2 important things (food and wood) in 1 go is great imho.
Orchards are a biome I like to settle in as well, because they have such an abundance of easily harvestable food.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Why is a desert a good biome to start in? I often look for a plain or small island near a larger landmass.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
BoP Orchards for the win, whenever i started a BoP world i looked for them 1000 blocks around, for starting they are soooooo good, lots of food, shelter and easy to build (even better with some imagination)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
whatever I first come across that gives me a flat 3x3 chunk space.

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
Why is a desert a good biome to start in? I often look for a plain or small island near a larger landmass.
Deserts have lots of sand for glass, cactus for stuff, oil for power and are generally flat. Plus no rain

Reactions: zorn

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
You can't beat flat ground

the problem with BoP is that almost seems impossible to find. That thing is chaotic. Went back to natura, settled in a swamp and was completely pampered with space and usually rare resources.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
Jade Cliffs. Jade Cliffs. Jade Cliffs.

I need to post a screen shot of the base types I like to setup in them after work.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
For me I would say plains. Just for the simple reason that I don't have to do as much terra forming to start my base. In addition it is a bee friendly biome. My 2nd choice would be a good forest of some type.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I find an insection of biomes with a plain and hot humid together for bees, I usually stick with a 3 way intersection but if I can find more I'll go with that.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
Deserts. Lots of cinderpearl (use forune pick on these and tons) + cactus + glass. Fairly flat. Little rain.

I live in a plains just for level ground.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Anything that has lush green grass. I started an ssp world since my Internet isn't reliable anymore and I spawned in a bamboo forest. It has a crag biome in the distance which makes for an awesome view as the bamboo climbs the large mountains. Just past the crag are 3 natura redwoods with two intermingled. It's a near perfect start and the first world I haven't left spawn.

I like the lush rainforest the most but since I play on hard mode they're covered in those tiny poison spiders. It's very annoying.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
The more I play with bop or ebxl the more I like them... but the more I like vanilla biomes even more. Depending on what I was planning to build: plains (factory, city etc) or extreme hills (castle, gothic houses etc)

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Any biome with a nearby treasure trove or village. My best start had a desert pyramid tome and a village across the river.

My most recent start made me value logs. I started in one of those big flower biomes next To the one covered in leaves, and it took me till night just to find sparse logs in a hot spring. I was having oak withdrawals.