[1.12.2] Factory Tech: A challenging automation-focused tech mod (October 29: 1.6)

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
Just released 1.1.6, which fixes some bugs, adds a bunch of config support, and adds an easter egg!

Due to the config support and my not trusting myself to not make typos, 1.1.6 is marked as a Beta version on CurseForge and 1.1.5b is still available to download.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
LargeImpressiveGecko-size_restricted.gif

S

Suntanned Duck2

Hello, new to the forums and your mod but loving it so far. I was just curious though, is their something in the configs or a way to remember how long your parts for each of the machines lasts before you refill the machines again. Thanks.

Reactions: Closet Gamer

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, new to the forums and your mod but loving it so far. I was just curious though, is their something in the configs or a way to remember how long your parts for each of the machines lasts before you refill the machines again. Thanks.
Glad you're liking it! In the config, you can set a custom multiplier for the lifespan and salvage chance for each part in each machine. Note that each part has a set number of operations where it's guaranteed not to break, and this is what the config changes; after that, there's a % chance of breakage that increases every operation.

I'd like to toy with making this more intuitive and powerful in the future.

S

Suntanned Duck2

Sounds good. :) Ok just took a look and seems good to me.

But my original question was more so to do with a durability counter or interface text display showing how many uses it until something breaks. I don't want to sound like I need to have such a feature for things like in tech means a multi-meter or power reader since I rarely use them but just a display like how with ticks (rate or range of ticks involved to accomplish) its handy to know.

Might just be me being so used to other mods obviously, which I shouldn't be too careless saying something like that. But just curious so I know when a replacement part will be need. I could just mass produce the parts but then I find that to be a bit silly. I know it might be messy with interfaces now that I think about it, with the 3 or so parts to display on an interface and text to state their uses would be awkward.

But maybe just state the amount of uses on a part tooltip would be better before its consumed. Just an idea, of course.

In short, display of durability of parts on a tooltip since it would be easier to know before its consumed. But knowing I can change the percent in the configs is still a good sign. :) Sorry if I worded my question badly where that wasn't understandable. But the answer you gave was also beneficial though so not complaining. Just an idea though, nothing else. What do you think? Obviously you did say you wanted to make it more intuitive so that's understand. The more a mod improves or gets more out of it, is always a good sign to me.

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
It's not possible to give a tooltip indicating a part's current health since that's stored in the machine, not the part. I could give some sort of GUI indicator, though.

Anyway, here's a quick update which balances some recipes. In particular a lot of automation components are less annoying to craft. (Seriously, 6 different things to make an Item Redistributor? What was I thinking?)

The full list is in the changelog on the top post.

EDIT: Changed the behaviour of pipes so that they can only be filled by the Extraction Pump and other Factory Tech pipes. The reason this is important is that my pipes remember which direction the fluid was traveling and will only pass fluid in that direction. However, if a tank from another mod auto-outputs something into the pipes, previously they would get jammed; now, other mods' tanks simply can't fill them directly.

Last edited:

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
New update! This one adds something that a lot of people have been asking for: a machine for autofarming. The Seed Disperser is a Tier 3 (circuit boards) machine that scatters seeds into surrounding farmland. It needs to be on the same Y-level as the soil (not the crops) to function. It currently supports most Vanilla crops (I believe all except mushrooms, cacti, cocoa, and chorus), and I plan to add HarvestCraft integration in the very near future.

This update also adds the Buffer Crate, which is like a regular crate in every way except that automation will never take the last item in a stack from it. This allows for buffer systems that won't clog up with a single item and leave no room for anything else. Finally, it makes a couple of tweaks to Auto Ejectors. They can now insert items directly into another inventory; unlike Stack Movers, though, they will spill items if there's no room. They also spit out items with significantly less force than before, making it easier to automatically push items onto a main bus.

As always, 1.2.2 is marked as Beta on CurseForge as there may be a bug or two with the new stuff that I missed.

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
Just released perhaps the most nostalgic version number of all: 1.2.5! This one's got an exciting changelog; for example, I finally got rid of the old Automation Utilities models for Stack Movers!

Full changelog is in the OP, as usual.

Reactions: Closet Gamer

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
Just released version 1.3, with an exciting changelog! The handbook and the machine config have both been cleaned up significantly and are now much more user-friendly. To compensate, the code for both has become even more nightmarish. :p

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
Someone named WazWaz brought up a fantastic issue on the GitHub, that the Mining Machine is patently terrible. Basically, it is nearly impossible for it to turn a profit.

The main issue is, I believe, not with FT at all, but instead with Vanilla's ore generation method (which I hate, but that's another story). In Factorio, you have huge piles of coal, iron, and copper that you can put Mining Drills on to get a steady supply of ore for a really long time. In Vanilla, ores are evenly dispersed through the world, and physically digging them out isn't worth automating unless the area is massive (such as Quarries and Borers from other mods) or they're cherrypicked with something like a Digital Miner. Even if I divided the part consumption rates for the Miner by 20, it still wouldn't be worth it since you'd have to keep picking up and moving the thing.

One idea that I have to fix this is to make the Miner something more like the Fluid Drill, where you place it down in a chunk and it'll generate ores on its own. It would always consume parts at the same rate; the difference could be that it only succeeds in pulling up a piece of ore x% of the time, giving cobblestone instead otherwise. This success chance, as well as the type of ore, would vary by chunk, giving the player reason to explore and find the best place to set up mines.

To balance it out, what I will probably do is make it so that if too many Miners are operating in the same chunk (alternatively more than one within a certain number of blocks of each other), they will all simply shut down and refuse to run because of interference. Then, the Terraneous Extractor will be more of a direct upgrade, where it can generate any ores in any location, as well as being faster and more efficient (but requiring higher-tier parts).

Thoughts?

C

Closet Gamer

Someone named WazWaz brought up a fantastic issue on the GitHub, that the Mining Machine is patently terrible. Basically, it is nearly impossible for it to turn a profit.

The main issue is, I believe, not with FT at all, but instead with Vanilla's ore generation method (which I hate, but that's another story). In Factorio, you have huge piles of coal, iron, and copper that you can put Mining Drills on to get a steady supply of ore for a really long time. In Vanilla, ores are evenly dispersed through the world, and physically digging them out isn't worth automating unless the area is massive (such as Quarries and Borers from other mods) or they're cherrypicked with something like a Digital Miner. Even if I divided the part consumption rates for the Miner by 20, it still wouldn't be worth it since you'd have to keep picking up and moving the thing.

One idea that I have to fix this is to make the Miner something more like the Fluid Drill, where you place it down in a chunk and it'll generate ores on its own. It would always consume parts at the same rate; the difference could be that it only succeeds in pulling up a piece of ore x% of the time, giving cobblestone instead otherwise. This success chance, as well as the type of ore, would vary by chunk, giving the player reason to explore and find the best place to set up mines.

To balance it out, what I will probably do is make it so that if too many Miners are operating in the same chunk (alternatively more than one within a certain number of blocks of each other), they will all simply shut down and refuse to run because of interference. Then, the Terraneous Extractor will be more of a direct upgrade, where it can generate any ores in any location, as well as being faster and more efficient (but requiring higher-tier parts).

Thoughts?

Sounds like a good plan mate, and you make a good point about MC's ore generation - it makes static quarries a massive pain in the neck that need to be a) massive or b) moved very often.

I like the idea that you propose, especially the upgraded option. It'll avoid having to move some rather complex infrastructure when the resources dry up. I beleive the immersive engineering miner works by creating imaginary rich ore veins, similar to factoio. It is a large multi-block that you don't want to move often.

I was thinking about other passive methods of ore generation - what about a cobble grinder with water to make cobble slurry. You could then have some separation methods. Here are some ideas:-
1) Magnetised extraction chamber to separate the iron particles, yielding iron nuggets (or small dust) & gravel
2) Various catalysts for gold, copper.. these could be large multi-block vat type structures with pretty visual tanks
3) multi-stage filtering lines

Keep pushing on ;)

Cg

------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD

Last edited:

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
In that vein (hah get it?) I think something like a heavy mineral separation might work nicely - sort of like automatic panning for gold. Panning works very well for separating out heavier ore or metal particles and nuggets from lighter gangue/sand etc. You can even do it with something like pyrite (panning for fools gold!) because of the density difference.

With copper, they usually find things like chalcopyrite-rich areas, pulverise the material to liberate the ore from the gangue, and then use something like mineral flotation to concentrate it. Obviously you may not want to go to that level of detail, as there's a fair old bit to it!

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands

This is very similar to how the immersive engineering Excavator works. Each chunk has a chance of having some vein, supposedly below bedrock. The presence type and size of the vein are generated and stored per chunk, abstractly. You can find this information with a core sample drill.
Once you find a vein you like, you place an Excavator and let it "mine" the vein in that chunk.