Factorization processing. Is it worth it? Also, a concept.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I was bored a bit and derped with some Factorization in my test world. Tried to automate it with routers and AE.Now I think about it, and... well, in Ultimate you probably don't need to triple your Iron/Gold/Silver/Tin/Copper output while you are at the level when you can make such machine, so, is it worth it? Industrial Grinder probably gives you more stuff that you actually need for GT, and even with standard Industrial Grinder's doubling + bonus. you have tons of iron/gold/other stuff.

Anyways proof of concept:
2013-05-05_20.16.39.png

Two routers next to the mixers put a bucket in slot 0 and dirty gravel in slot 1. Buckets refilled automatically via Liquid Transposer (unpowered on the screenshot, but it works if you give it some power)
Six routers next to crystallizers put reduced chunks in slots 0-4 and one of them extract items from slot 6. Because of the way AE works all the inserting routers are filled almost simultaneously, so most of the filled crystallizers will have the same metal in all the slots.

EDIT: It doesn't fill the slots how I want it to fill the slots :p
Oh well, so, I think I just need to fill only one slot of Crystallizers to reduce the number of routers. Meh.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't it take like 20 minutes to process an ore with factorisation? I could find an extra ore from mining in that time.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, i'm not sure if it's worth it. Might be worth it to process some of your ore, but definitely not all of it, because the Crystallizer is a huge time sink... Also, automating it is hard. I'd say it's only worth it to process ores you're really hurting for. Even then, i'm torn. Honestly, it's probably not worth it, but i don't understand the Industrial Grinder 100%, so i just use Pulverizers or do it with Induction Smelters. Induction Smelters are really good because you can use Rich Slag to get more ingots later.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
If you have an industrial grinder, then you still get loads of bonus stuff even without mercury/sodium persulphate cells. I also don't think its worth building an ore processing system when it only works for 5 ores.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
It's worth it if you think it's a fun system to build, maintain, and operate. It's not worth it for the ore yield. There's a reason you see it mentioned so rarely. The reality is that come mid-game in most FTB packs, having enough ingots to keep your operations growing shouldn't be an issue so tripling the yield instead of doubling it isn't really an attractive outcome when it's such a headache to obtain.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I have never played around with factorization (yet), but doesn't the crystalizer processes up to 5 stacks at once?

Or was I mislead and it's 5 items at once?

In the first case, it would mean 5 stacks of precessing at once, putting down the time per item to very little time per item (less than 4 seconds).

Seeing that nearly everybody seems to hate on the damn thing, I guess the answer is 5 items at a time, and not 320.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
5 items at once. And those items must be the same. It is very hard to automate.

OK, guys, I got it. Maybe I'll use it like a fun system to tinker with, but meh...

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I have never played around with factorization (yet), but doesn't the crystalizer processes up to 5 stacks at once?

Or was I mislead and it's 5 items at once?

In the first case, it would mean 5 stacks of precessing at once, putting down the time per item to very little time per item (less than 4 seconds).

Seeing that nearly everybody seems to hate on the damn thing, I guess the answer is 5 items at a time, and not 320.

No, it's 5 stacks at once, but it's not a 'time per item' consideration. It's just a pain in the ass system that is poorly tuned in terms of power consumption and poorly executed in terms of investment vs. reward. Access to resources is not an issue by mid-game if a person knows how to make use of what is available to them. Tripling ore yield is not an incentive when a single high speed quarry can produce better results with less infrastructure.

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
No, it's 5 stacks at once, but it's not a 'time per item' consideration. It's just a pain in the ass system that is poorly tuned in terms of power consumption and poorly executed in terms of investment vs. reward. Access to resources is not an issue by mid-game if a person knows how to make use of what is available to them. Tripling ore yield is not an incentive when a single high speed quarry can produce better results with less infrastructure.

It's not 5 stacks at once, it's 5 items at once (1 in every slot, although you can put a stack into each).

[edit]
Think about it, if it was 5 stacks at once then a single output slot wouldn't be enough.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
True, but that would make the machine much more awesome.

I mean, if you had to fill every slot with a full stack to get max efficiency, and make the most out of the time, it would make it a viable solution for bulk processing.

I'm sad now...

As for the output, it could have either overflow/hidden slots (like forestry apiaries), or convert the output to blocks or some kind of compressed output.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Could be wrong but the slow part is the crystalizer thing.. You can still process ores like all the others in about the same time.. Just not get the 3X output.

Most people opt for TE or IC2 though.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
It's not 5 stacks at once, it's 5 items at once (1 in every slot, although you can put a stack into each).

[edit]
Think about it, if it was 5 stacks at once then a single output slot wouldn't be enough.

Split hairs more. You can put in 5 stacks at once compared to other machines where you can only typically have only 1 stack at a time. Additionally, it processes 5 items in the same amount of time as it processes 1. We don't need to get our dork on and nitpick every detail in a discussion. I know how the machines work...I've used them...and they're not all they're cracked up to be.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
It's worth it.... for some things.

Silver and tin for example. Mostly silver. It can return up to 3 silver and two lead.

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
In my world... I am running
  • 2x banks of 40 grinders, 2 routers each.
  • 3x banks of mixers, 4 routers each.
  • 1x bank of Slag furnace, Two heaters each, 2 Routers.
  • 6x banks of 6 crystallizers, each for a separate Ore. 7 routers each
    • 5 routers for Ore into slots 0, 1, 2, 4, 5
    • 1 Router to insert Ore into the Other 5
    • 1 to extract the output.
  • This is an update to my 1.4.7 system which had an extra router to insert acid.