F7 (light levels) not working

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Running a newly launched customised DW20 1.6.4 pack with a new map and everything.

F7 that shows light levels refuses to work.

Some Googling says to turn off vertex shaders for Powersuits .. but it's on false already.

Any idea what else it might be?

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Yeah. NEI is working just fine (except for F7 hehe)

I checked the keybind in the NEI options menu, and it is properly bound to F7.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Haha no. It's not just my problem.

Everyone on the server is experiencing it. Other overlays, like the F9 chunk boundaries is working just fine.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Have you checked your controls to see if any other mod is also using the F7 key for anything?

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah you will need to download a different mobspawn highlight mod to make it work, some reason Mo Creatures interferes with the NEI F7

Reactions: RedBoss

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Theres one I used to use called Mob Spawn Highlighter. Ive been having the same problem, it must be because of custom Mob spawner, Im not actually using Mocreatures. (CMS fixes a compatibility issue with Optifine causing Magnum torches to not work FYI)

Reactions: tedyhere

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Theres one I used to use called Mob Spawn Highlighter. Ive been having the same problem, it must be because of custom Mob spawner, Im not actually using Mocreatures. (CMS fixes a compatibility issue with Optifine causing Magnum torches to not work FYI)
Yes Mob Spawn Highlighter is good and it is more than likely because of Custom Mob Spawner mod. The way it changes normal mob spawning wrecks most anti-mob spawning mechanics that use the vanilla system. I hope you have things that kill mobs, push them out, or keep them from coming in an area, those work best

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
How does this F7 function work? I mean obviously it detects light levels, but I never even realized this function existed. Does it to you where mobs are capable of spawning (hostile or neutral)?

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
How does this F7 function work? I mean obviously it detects light levels, but I never even realized this function existed. Does it to you where mobs are capable of spawning (hostile or neutral)?
When you press F7 you will see one of three things on the ground-
1. Nothing: Hostile mobs should not spawn on this tile. (Light level > threshold or object in the way)
2. Yellow X: Hostile mobs should not spawn during the day, however during the night this tile can support mob spawning. (Sun provides enough light to prevent spawns)
3. Red X: Hostile mobs can spawn here any time. (Light level < threshold)
I don't believe it indicates anything regarding neutral mobs, only hostile.

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
Well isn't that lame. What governs neutral mob spawns? I have a grass farm and have found a sheep and a cow wandering through it on a few occasions. You might think, "Did they wander in from outside?" The only problem with that, is that I live 8 blocks above a chasm that spans the exact dimensions of my house from 66 to bedrock.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Well isn't that lame. What governs neutral mob spawns? I have a grass farm and have found a sheep and a cow wandering through it on a few occasions. You might think, "Did they wander in from outside?" The only problem with that, is that I live 8 blocks above a chasm that spans the exact dimensions of my house from 66 to bedrock.
I think neutral spawns are mainly biome type and exposure to sky, though I could be wrong. I don't know how the game determines when to actually spawn a neutral mob, either, I'd be interested in finding this out, too (especially when Twilight Forest spawns 100-200 of any given neutral mob, what is that all about...and how do I limit that!)
F7 is nice, though, when you want to spawn-proof your living and mining areas. It can be a bit cheaty though; if you're looking down a dark pit and can't see the bottom, F7 and suddenly red X's show how deep it goes.

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
I think neutral spawns are mainly biome type and exposure to sky, though I could be wrong. I don't know how the game determines when to actually spawn a neutral mob, either, I'd be interested in finding this out, too (especially when Twilight Forest spawns 100-200 of any given neutral mob, what is that all about...and how do I limit that!)
F7 is nice, though, when you want to spawn-proof your living and mining areas. It can be a bit cheaty though; if you're looking down a dark pit and can't see the bottom, F7 and suddenly red X's show how deep it goes.
I think I'm a little cheaty anyways. I always set my brightness to highest, that way I don't need a million torches to see down a hallway. I was actually going to try that out when I get home, though. I have 4 Arcane Lamps and a Magnum Torch. I doubt anything will spawn, still looks like a fun feature.

Last edited:

Kahless61

Jul 29, 2019
The F7 light levels only apply to hostile mob spawns, not neutral mobs spawns. It shows blocks that have light level of 7 or below.
Furthermore, in 1.7, hitting a zombie can cause it to summon another zombie nearby in any spot that has a light level of I think 9 or below. F7 does not show those spots, but this shouldn't be an issue unless a zombie gets in the area in the first place.

As far as the original question goes, it looks like you have a key conflict between two mods. See if you can't change the key binding for either mod.

The Skeptical Tech

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, it's Mo' Creatures.

I installed that once, and when I went to use F7 nothing showed up. I was so confused until I removed the mod and things started working again.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
As far as the original question goes, it looks like you have a key conflict between two mods. See if you can't change the key binding for either mod.

It's a mod conflict, not a key one. Having Mo' Creatures installed just breaks NEI's mobspawn overlay. No amount of keyrebinding fixes it.