Essentia automation?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you like the growth lamp?

• Total voters
Jul 29, 2019
So, currently I have an automatic wheat & barley farm. I made some thaumcraft growth lamps, but am having to constantly fill up the herba (essentia) jar to power them. Is there any way I could automate the production and filling up of the jar?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, there are ways to do that. Many suggest tree farms, since tree leaves have Herba, but this prevents you from growing trees since you get zero saplings if you harvest all the leaves(sorry, people suggest using MFR for these tree farms), but there is a much easier, and better, way.

Cactus. Grow Cactus, lots of Cactus. See, every cactus block is worth 1 herba, and one can easily grow a endless amount of cactus from 1 cactus block. Using MFR is possible for this as well, too.

For filling jars automatically, there one can use essentia tubes to send the herba to the jar.. but you know as well as I do that this isn't as easy anymore. So do more research and eventually you'll have Essentia Mirrors, which can take the place of the jar by the lamp of growth.

Reactions: Dante12129
Jul 29, 2019
Yes, there are ways to do that. Many suggest tree farms, since tree leaves have Herba, but this prevents you from growing trees since you get zero saplings if you harvest all the leaves(sorry, people suggest using MFR for these tree farms), but there is a much easier, and better, way.

Cactus. Grow Cactus, lots of Cactus. See, every cactus block is worth 1 herba, and one can easily grow a endless amount of cactus from 1 cactus block. Using MFR is possible for this as well, too.

For filling jars automatically, there one can use essentia tubes to send the herba to the jar.. but you know as well as I do that this isn't as easy anymore. So do more research and eventually you'll have Essentia Mirrors, which can take the place of the jar by the lamp of growth.
I am aware of getting herba from cactus, but the issue there was that (as cactus had 3 herba, 1 water, 1 perdito), I couldn't get the right essentia to go to the right jar. Originally, I had an alchemical furnace with 3 alembics on top, but the alembic did not always end up with the same essentia, so the pipes/jars for that particular alembic would not always match with the contents of the alembic.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
jungle tree farm...use an mfr harvester and take the vines, feed them to arcane furnaces. i use it to feed quite a few lamps on my magic crops via essentia mirrors. burn the wood to feed the furnaces coal. no other aspects come from vines i think, just herba.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Leaves from a shearing MFR treefarm. 1 herba each, only herba. Alumentum+alchemical furnace+ ender JABBA barrel packed with leaves+ tubes= epic farming

myrddraall

Jul 29, 2019

I dont recommend cactus. Use jungle tree farm and the vines will only have herba. Or 2 small mfr tree farms. One getting leaves and the other sapplings

Jul 29, 2019
I dont recommend cactus. Use jungle tree farm and the vines will only have herba. Or 2 small mfr tree farms. One getting leaves and the other sapplings
Ok then, sounds good. Anyone got a simple tutorial on how to use MFR for tree farms? I have a steve's carts tree farm (5000+ saplings in storage) so I just need to collect the leaves. Recommended setup anyone?

firefudge

Jul 29, 2019
I am aware of getting herba from cactus, but the issue there was that (as cactus had 3 herba, 1 water, 1 perdito), I couldn't get the right essentia to go to the right jar. Originally, I had an alchemical furnace with 3 alembics on top, but the alembic did not always end up with the same essentia, so the pipes/jars for that particular alembic would not always match with the contents of the alembic.
Labels can be applied to alembics as well as jars, so if you just added labels to your original setup it should work fine.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
And I don't recommend trees, since you have to use two farms to get half the herba then if you used one cacti farm, since cacti can don't require splitting your crops to get anything done.

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
And I don't recommend trees, since you have to use two farms to get half the herba then if you used one cacti farm, since cacti can don't require splitting your crops to get anything done.
You don't need two farms if you grow large jungle trees and use vines for herba.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Originally, I had an alchemical furnace with 3 alembics on top, but the alembic did not always end up with the same essentia, so the pipes/jars for that particular alembic would not always match with the contents of the alembic.
You can apply Labels to the alembic, which will allow only matching essentia into the Alembic. This requires some extra infrastructure investment, since you can't use the alembic stack for much else after setting it up like this, but it's useful if you're doing a lot of automation. This can make for a good way to process Netherwart or Cactus, although if you do that I'd recommend having a void jar for every aspect but the Herbia.

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need two farms if you grow large jungle trees and use vines for herba.
Thing is I already have a steve's cart farm, so either I make another one with MFR to harvest leaves or I sort out the piping (somehow) and use cacti.[DOUBLEPOST=1397250605][/DOUBLEPOST]
You can apply Labels to the alembic, which will allow only matching essentia into the Alembic. This requires some extra infrastructure investment, since you can't use the alembic stack for much else after setting it up like this, but it's useful if you're doing a lot of automation. This can make for a good way to process Netherwart or Cactus, although if you do that I'd recommend having a void jar for every aspect but the Herbia.
I think this may work, but problem is, if I connect all the pipes between the three alembics (assuming I use cacti) then the system will block up as there might be an intersection where 2 different essentia are trying to go in opposite directions... That's why I'm looking into the MFR tree farm

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Thing is I already have a steve's cart farm, so either I make another one with MFR to harvest leaves or I sort out the piping (somehow) and use cacti.[DOUBLEPOST=1397250605][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think this may work, but problem is, if I connect all the pipes between the three alembics (assuming I use cacti) then the system will block up as there might be an intersection where 2 different essentia are trying to go in opposite directions... That's why I'm looking into the MFR tree farm
Filtered Tubes, mate. Send one type one way and another, well, another.

It's a research available after unlocking essentia tubing.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
3 alembics. 3 normal tubes, 2 void jars and one normal jar for the herba. Golem puts cactus in the furnace. Plant more if the herba runs out until you find the right balance. 1 seemed to do it for my average sized farm.

Jul 29, 2019
3 alembics. 3 normal tubes, 2 void jars and one normal jar for the herba. Golem puts cactus in the furnace. Plant more if the herba runs out until you find the right balance. 1 seemed to do it for my average sized farm.
Sounds like a plan! Trying to use an ME Interface to export charcoal into the bottom of the furnace though, but it doesn't work for some reason. I have charcoal supply, the arrow is pointing in the right direction and I've tried outputting into itemducts, stone transport pipes and a chest, all with no success :(

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Technically you can get away with 1 void jar if you label the herba jar and make sure it has higher suction.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Alchemical Centrifuge. Send logs through it. Arbor breaks down into herba and a primal. Void jar the primal and good to go.
Bingo. But it's more complicated then just using leaves, cactus, or vines, so of course only a few know this works.