Epic just dropped the subscription fee on the Unreal Engine!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Now anyone can download the dev-kit for free. There used to be a $19/mo. subscription to get access.

How many (show of hands, please o/ ) would like to see a version of Minecraft written using a real graphics engine at it's core?

Imagine a couple of scenes:

1). Blowing up your (or a) base with a nuke and seeing blocks fly everywhere, generating "splash damage" when they hit, instead of a server crash.

2). A "Knockback" weapon throwing the mob with "ragdoll" effects (flailing arms, bouncing when they hit. etc.)

Probably won't happen, with the requested 5% royalty on quarterly sales over USD3000, but it's fun to think about :D

Reactions: Padfoote

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Dynamic lighting is what would help improve the game the most IMO... I would include "shaders" in that category - much better and more realistic lighting/shadows.

The biggest way to improve this game would be finding a way to eliminate "loaded" and "unloaded" chunks, but I'm not sure a new graphics engine would help with that. All chunks should be loaded and active at all times, but I'm pretty sure we'll never see that happen.

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
Great, that subscription fee is money I will never get back. They gave me 30 dollars to spend in there store though... :p

Reactions: RedBoss

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Dynamic lighting is what would help improve the game the most IMO... I would include "shaders" in that category - much better and more realistic lighting/shadows.

The biggest way to improve this game would be finding a way to eliminate "loaded" and "unloaded" chunks, but I'm not sure a new graphics engine would help with that. All chunks should be loaded and active at all times, but I'm pretty sure we'll never see that happen.

Quasi-infinite world + all chunks persistent = not possible with a computer smaller than your average planetoid. You pretty much have to choose between limited persistence (chunkloading one area) or limited worlds.

There are ways around that though. You could have a system that dynamically loads regions that have important events triggered in them, so you could have a world changing and moving around you, while only having small parts of it loaded at any one time.