entity.player.FyberOptic

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
This could be fun, so let's do it.

It might come as a shock, but I'm a fellow who likes to play Minecraft. I've played since back when the addition of the sponge block was the best thing ever. My friends and I would fill up our confined maps with video game sprites and junk, then we'd just start on another one. Compared to Minecraft today, that seems like forever ago.

Back then, I felt like this simple building game had a lot of possibilities, so I started poking at its guts. I learned the communication protocol, and made a simple bot which pretty much did nothing. From there I started writing my own server, with big ideas like having "portals" to other maps so that everyone could have their own space to build in, before dimensions (or even survival) existed. But gradually my friends and I got burned out on the game, so it never really went anywhere.

Long after that, after I actually got into modded Minecraft (a story in itself), I piddled around with trying to make a mod of my own on and off, but it always seemed daunting. You'd find a tutorial for one thing, then you'd realize it was for a different version of Minecraft and now completely irrelevant. I was not only trying to learn Minecraft, but also Forge and FML, as well as concepts related to how MCP worked, while still not completely familiar with Eclipse or even an expert at Java itself. I'd get as far as making a block appear, or add in an item that didn't do anything, then I'd pretty much feel overwhelmed and move on.

It wasn't until I tried to contribute to the BuildCraft project that I felt like I'd accomplished anything with the game. I did a bugfix for that which got accepted, and later tried to submit some things I felt were improvements. Initially it was a quartz fluid pipe, with capacity between stone and gold, which wouldn't connect to gold pipes. Then a change to quartz item pipes to make them accelerate somewhat slower than gold instead of just decelerating like cobble/stone, which also wouldn't connect to gold. Then there was a visual thing to render pipe sleeves on the sides of tanks where pipes connected, so that the air gap wasn't there. Alas, none of those changes got merged. But I learned a lot in the process of doing them, so it wasn't for nothing.

So then I made Hopper Ducts, which was my own basic pipe mod, partially because I wanted to have something simple that I could always update myself whenever Minecraft updated, without needing to wait on the big mods to catch up. Since it was based on something already in the game, it was an easy place to start modding. I wanted something that felt like it could be in vanilla Minecraft, and apparently I succeeded, because lots of people told me that very thing. It was very encouraging, and I was rather pleased to see that people found my simple mod useful.

Not long after, I set out with the goal of making my own redstone wire with Redstone Paste. I felt like every implementation of redstone I'd seen had limitations, and/or came with a larger mod that you don't always need/want. My mind kept going back to Space Station 13, where wires could be placed in four directions on a tile, giving you full control of how you designed your circuit. That game was 2D, however, and Minecraft was an entirely different beast. There were times when I honestly didn't think I could do it. I spent quite a lot of time figuring out how to propagate a redstone signal from any side of the block, to any direction, from around corners, etc. And I spent quite a lot more time figuring out how to interact with individual objects inside of a single block space. Fortunately it wasn't my first foray into things like ray-tracing, or I likely would have given up completely.

By the time I had it ready to release, I was a bit surprised that I'd accomplished my initial goal. I'd even managed to give it a very vanilla feel (despite initially looking like puke when unpowered), and again people appreciated it. It got way more downloads than I ever imagined it would. I see videos from people in languages I don't even understand spotlighting it. Even CaptainSparklez demoed it. I realized more and more what a great community Minecraft has, which just encouraged me to keep improving my mods.

It's also encouraged me to interact a bit more with the community itself, which I'm honestly not sure why I didn't do sooner given how long I've been into mods. I've used FTB quite a bit, run a server using it, and follow things like the Forgecraft streams and Direwolf's videos with folks from here for a while now. So I thought I'd finally check out this community!

And now I've typed way too many things and most of you probably never made it this far, so that's all!

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
That...was inspirational (no sarcasm)
That is actually a nice story, and makes me more eager to learn java
;)

Thanks!

Developing in Java with Eclipse is particularly fun because of HCR. I can make changes to my mod, while Minecraft is running, and see the changes in real-time. It's an incredible time-saver.

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious if you have any links to modding tutorials you may have found helpful? Google doesn't always help me here, or gives me outdated versions that you mentioned.

Also, what's wrong with a simple "Hello"? (totally sarcasm!)

It's understandable for most big-modders why they tend to distance themselves from the community. Fanboys' screams and worship can go to overzealous levels.

Welcome to FTB, hopefully you'll like it here

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019

Not sure how to interpret that, but thanks nonetheless!

I'm curious if you have any links to modding tutorials you may have found helpful? Google doesn't always help me here, or gives me outdated versions that you mentioned.

I'd suggest checking out this guy's modding blog, for one. Go back to the first page and just skim through all the great content he's put together, complete with images. I picked up a few things from it myself initially, and have been keeping up with it. Knowing how to code is one thing, but knowing how the game actually works is another, and that's what this guy tries to explain.

The Forge website's wiki also has some good information for beginners, from how to set up a basic mod to how to create basic blocks and items, but unfortunately the site tends to be dreadfully slow. Worth the wait, though, since it's good information.

Other than that, I dunno. I figured a lot of stuff out by trial and error. It can just be hard to get started, and there's not much else advice I can offer other than you just have to dive in and start breaking stuff until you figure out what things do. You don't even have to write a mod, you can just open up the Minecraft source files and start changing stuff that you have a reasonable idea of what it might do. I remember one of the first things I did was prevent creepers from exploding by commenting out the lines that caused him to explode and to despawn. At some point I also tried to make mobs spawn everywhere I walked, though that had less success (partially because at the time I still hadn't fully wrapped my head around the client/server model and the objects I was allowed to access from each).

The one thing I can tell you though is that it's fun, and worth the effort. Like with anything else, it's something you just get better at the more you do it. I don't mind answering questions, either, if it's something I can actually answer.

It's understandable for most big-modders why they tend to distance themselves from the community. Fanboys' screams and worship can go to overzealous levels.

Welcome to FTB, hopefully you'll like it here

I'm still a baby modder compared to some of these big mods that these other guys make. I have some ideas for things, but I want to "finish" the ones I've got before I move on to something that'll take more time.

And thanks!

Ohai o/ :p
You know, I don't think I ever did one of these, meh.

Howdy again. I wasn't gonna do it initially myself, but then I figured folks might be interested in hearing the rocky (but rewarding) road it can be to get into modding, so what the heck.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Welcome to the forums, from another person who's been guilty of generating Walls of Text on occasion!

Be sure to read the rules, as well as the informational links you can find in my signature, and you'll be good to go. ;)

Reactions: FyberOptic