Emerald pipes

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Greytusks

Jul 29, 2019
So, I head they are supposed to be a sort of advanced wooden pipe.

Anybody know how to use them yet? Buildcraft site didn't say much.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
http://www.railcraft.info/buildcraft-emerald-pipes/
I think your going to like these. There are both Item and Liquid versions of the Emerald Pipes.

Emerald Pipes are upgraded versions of Wooden Pipes.

The Liquid Pipe is simply just an extraction pipe with the flow rate and capacity of Gold Pipes, removing one of the major bottlenecks of Liquid Pipes.

Now the Item Pipe is bit more impressive than the Liquid version, so impressive in fact that it may prove to be game changer.

It posses a GUI with 9 filter slots, these slots define what items the pipe will extract from the inventory. Even more useful is the fact that it extracts items that match the filters in a blocking Round Robin manner. Meaning you have a pipe that can spit out two cobble for every dirt, or some other combination.

I’ll let you think about that for a while. The typical response eventually seems to be “MIND BLOWN!”

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the link. From the picture in there, they seem to still need an engine to pump the items. *sigh* Having them being able to filter stuff though is nice.
Well, toss one of those autarchic gates or however you spell it on there :p

Toraxa

Jul 29, 2019
Autarchic gates are really nice if you just want to run the pipes without the engines. Now if only we could run filters and transposers without timers using them.

budge

Jul 29, 2019
I wish the sorting machine's auto-pull feature could be added to filters and transposers as a sort of in-place upgrade, similar to Factorization barrels with their interdimensional storage upgrades.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower machines with upgrade slots, now that would indeed be interesting :p

However, I think the autopull feature is limited to blutricity powered machines for a reason. They can do this precisely because they're powered.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Autarchic gates are really nice if you just want to run the pipes without the engines. Now if only we could run filters and transposers without timers using them.
Indeed. I'd love there to be an advanced version that combines the transposer block with the timer block (with some random other materials to complete the crafting grid). Basic same amount of resources used, but no need to have a redstone signal travelling across blocks as a result.
The Sorting Machine gained this upgrade by default. Filters and Transposers need the same love and attention too.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed. I'd love there to be an advanced version that combines the transposer block with the timer block (with some random other materials to complete the crafting grid).

This exists already; it's called a relay. It's the tier 2 transposer, in the same way the sorting machine is the tier 2 filter. Redpower's recipe scheme is pretty unmistakable in that regard.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
A relay though won't pull out of an inventory though, unless I've totally overlooked that functionality.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Emerald pipe + autarchic gate = filter without timer.
Now if only I could get BC pipes to properly interact with barrels instead of ignoring everything that is in the middle of a line! :mad:

As for Relays, well, they're supposed to be the inventory you (or something) puts things inside, but that doesn't work too well with things like the Cargo Manager from Steve's Carts.
And yeah, I'd love to see some kind of Blutricity-powered Filters or Transposers that don't need annoying click-clacks hidden under them as well.

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
And yeah, I'd love to see some kind of Blutricity-powered Filters or Transposers that don't need annoying click-clacks hidden under them as well.

There is one: The RP2 Manager. They'll maintain the number of items you specify, and any other item gets ejected to the tube network.

Here's an example:

2013-01-29_20.08.25.png

In this setup, I have 2 cargo managers. One acts as the drop-off point, while the other is the refuelling station. Both cargo managers have a RP2 manager on top of them. The RP2 manager in the drop-off point is configured to not maintain any items, while the other manager maintains a stack of charcoal. And I have a relay that accepts items ejected by the drop-off point manager.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019

At the risk of sounding like a broken record... that exists already, too :p It's called a sorting machine.

Seriously, all the tools are there already. You just need to find the right one for each specific situation, and use them - even if it means using them in a way that is not their main purpose. Just because a sorting machine can sort, there's no reason to only use it for sorting... if all you need is autopulling or managing stack size, it will do that just as happily. And it's no more expensive than any other blutricity powered tier 2 upgrade to a transposer or filter would be.

EDIT: And yes, the manager works too, but being tier 3 it's quite a bit more expensive.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Is there a way I can setup the Deployer to work without a timer? I've got a scrapbox producing system, with a timer controlling it, but due to the random nature of being able to craft scrap boxes, the timer is in effect wasting ticks. Can I setup some alternate method so that the deployer only deploys when there is actually something to deploy?

For my treefarm, I used the minecart itself as a timer. Just one Cargo Manager, Filter attached to that, and then some evenly spaced detector tracks connected via redwire to the filter. Cart unloads it's cargo, refuels and refills saplings, then the detector tracks activate the filter to pull out the excess. Cheaper build, and works great.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower has an inline item detector that sends a redstone pulse everytime an item passes through.

Set up one directly adjacent to your deployer. Whenever a scrapbox passes though the detector and enters the deployer, a redstone pulse will be created, and the deployer deploys.

Now, depending on when the pulse triggers, the scrapbox triggering it may not have arrived in the deployer yet. But that's not an issue. The second scrapbox that will be produced will cause the first one to be deployed, then will sit in the deployer until the third one comes along etc.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Thanks. I'll try that. Although only playing single player, I'd like to minimise any unnecessary updating. Slowly learning the power of redpower. My most recent discovery was the Relay. Great little block that helps tidy up builds.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone tried these with machines that automatically eject items everywhere? It would be nice to finally have a better way to manage Forestry farms, where every item would go its own way and not back through the input pipes.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
There is one: The RP2 Manager. They'll maintain the number of items you specify, and any other item gets ejected to the tube network.

If memory serves, each manager takes nine red doped wafers, for a total of 36 redstone dust.

That's too high of a cost for most uses of filters.