Eerie Biome - Thaumcraft 4

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I have inhabited an island with sacred springs on one end, and forest on the other. about 25 blocks away from the forest end of the island, is a totem. It is slowly corrupting the biome around it into an eerie biome. (it's about a 8 block radius right now)

I haven't been able to find out what an eerie biome actually does, and weather I should destroy the totem and node as soon as I am able. I definitely don't want to lose the sacred springs biome as I picked this spot specifically for growing mana beans. I also don't much like the coloration of the eerie biome, so I would prefer to keep my forest.

Any thoughts or ideas?

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Use an iron pick and destroy that thing...Not always but most of the time if there is an eerie biome the node is the cause

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Dark nodes cause eerie biomes to spread around it. The obsidian tile at the top of the obsidian totem pile contains a dark node. Break the tile to destroy the node.

Eerie biomes count as magical biomes for the purposes of growing mana beans, but then again, so do sacred springs as you've stated. Eerie biomes can also spawn furious zombies at night, try to keep that area lit up.

To "fix" the dark coloration, continue down your TC4 research til you can make ethereal blooms, and plant those around the eerie biome; it will convert it to the magical forest biome, which is a bit bluer than sacred springs, but still much better looking than eerie. You can also use these to remove tainted biomes (assuming you've removed the source of the taint so it stops trying to spread).

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, didn't know I could destroy it with an iron pick. I thought I would need diamond or thaumium since it was made out of obsidian. It's nice that etherial blooms will convert the area around them to magical forest. If I had known that, I would have stuck with my original site on the edge of a desert and village. I moved as I needed a place to grow mana beans. My new site is coming along nicely, but no villagers to trade with.

Maybe once I get to making potions, I'll convert a couple zombie villagers and make my own village. I'm playing an updated Magic World 2, so no safari nets to kidnap them.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, didn't know I could destroy it with an iron pick. I thought I would need diamond or thaumium since it was made out of obsidian. It's nice that etherial blooms will convert the area around them to magical forest. If I had known that, I would have stuck with my original site on the edge of a desert and village. I moved as I needed a place to grow mana beans. My new site is coming along nicely, but no villagers to trade with.

Maybe once I get to making potions, I'll convert a couple zombie villagers and make my own village. I'm playing an updated Magic World 2, so no safari nets to kidnap them.
Just a bit of a correction for you: ethereal blooms only convert eerie and tanted biomes to magical forest. It doesn't convert any other biome. It's sole purpose is to clean up magic gone wrong.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
ahh.. ok.. glad I moved then.

I found a magic forest biome right near spawn, but unfortunately, it had taint in it. I salvaged a few mana beans, and hopefully am far enough away that the area is unloaded. I'll try cleaning it up later once I get ethereal blooms.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Eerie Biomes are weird little things I haven't yet figured out completely. It's my current understanding that they convert biomes into eerie biomes and have a chance to spawn Furious zombies, which are the unholy birthspawn of a giant zombie from tc3 and a regular brainy/angry zombie. I believe the chance is low, if the eerie biome is the result of a dark node, sinister nodes however have a much more drastic increase in it's ability to spawn furious zombies.

Their nodes can usually be found inside totems and can be broken with iron picks. Obsidian Tiles and Totems are NOT as hard as obsidian and can be taken out a little easier even with an iron pick. Breaking the node does not repair biome damage. Ethereal Blooms do. Eerie biomes have a VERY small chance to spread if left and loaded and rumour has it they have an even smaller chance to become tainted.

It's my understanding that dark biomes will not spawn pechs like magical forests will.

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
Eerie will spawn pechs as per azanor's comment on forgecraft. Also sinister node used to be called dark, but azanor changed that to prevent dark,bright nodes. Ethereal blooms will restore the original biome. Silverwoods create magical forest. Just FYI.

G

Gold__Kai

you could install the mod villager nose in order to move the villagers to your new home if you want.