Easy way of obtaining seed oil?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
To my knowledge, you can't do without.
It doesn't require much power, so an hobbyist steam engine will be more than enough to power it.

I recommend melon for the actual product to transform, because they tend to give way more seed per harvest.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, I'll have to try melons for this - I had been using flax-seed. I checked my supplies and out of all the seeds, I had just heaps and heaps of them and too much string. What the heck do I need all that string for? I mean really. Sheesh.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
If you have an industrial centrifuge from GregTech, you don't need a squeezer, IIRC.

At least, if he didn't add that recipe after the last FTB update... Greg updates so fast, you never know.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, I'll have to try melons for this - I had been using flax-seed. I checked my supplies and out of all the seeds, I had just heaps and heaps of them and too much string. What the heck do I need all that string for? I mean really. Sheesh.

I use the string for the same thing I use the seeds, bee frames :) My melon farm is too efficient, got 50k seeds in my me network atm, will have to give the golems a few days holiday!

NTaylor

Jul 29, 2019
I just use normal seeds but one of the first things I actually do in a world is use redpower to make really efficient farms that give me thousands of stacks of seeds as long as I keep it stacked with bonemeal.

ALittleHulk

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I got it working, but when the arrow fills up nothing happens and it just goes back to the start? I have cans in the correct slot too?

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
If you're up for a little bit of tree breeding, walnut trees aren't too hard to get, and they yield a huge amount of seed oil. Go a bit further with it and you can get chestnuts, which give you even more (though they ripen slower unless you cross them with walnut trees for highest sappiness, so personally I just stick with walnuts).

Reactions: Molten

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
It only gives a small amount of seed oil per seed (like 0.025 bucket for wheat seed).
Most of the things that use seed oil also use relatively small quantities, so your best bet would be to pipe it to the correct machine with waterproof pipes (wooden to extract, and others fo the rest of the way, same as extracting items from a chest, just using waterproof versions).

ALittleHulk

Jul 29, 2019
If you're up for a little bit of tree breeding, walnut trees aren't too hard to get, and they yield a huge amount of seed oil. Go a bit further with it and you can get chestnuts, which give you even more (though they ripen slower unless you cross them with walnut trees for highest sappiness, so personally I just stick with walnuts).
I didn't even know there were new trees ;-; I hate my life.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I got it working, but when the arrow fills up nothing happens and it just goes back to the start? I have cans in the correct slot too?

it produces a tiny amount of seed oil, you need to get a good amount in there to start seeing it in the liquid storage part

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't even know there were new trees ;-; I hate my life.

As others have said the seed oil that is gained from Wheat, Pumpkin, and Melon seeds is very small but with a sufficient farm you will get enough of them in time. While you have bees going start working on a small amount of tree breeding to get Walnut and/or Chesnut trees. When the leaves of those mature you will get a nut for each leave block. The amount of oil you get from those is SO much more. You will never need seed oil again after those. So start with melons or pumpkins and then work for the nut based trees.