Dw20 1.6.4 bat morph?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Skidd2

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so here's the deal: I've rebuilt my PC, but lost all of my worlds, so after re-installing everything (yes, Windows too) I want to start a new world, and find a good place for a base. so, after mining/caving for resources, I come across a bat. First thing through my head: "Yes! now I can go get off of this tundra beach area!" So, I kill it and get its morph. I select and favorite it, and morph into it, but... something strange happens: I can't fly! ( I know its a op argument, but that is besides the point here)
"okay", I think "Why can't I fly?" first thing I notice, that the morph doesn't have any attributes to it. so it boils down to one question: Since this is a fresh install (within the last day) is there some config option that I need to change from default (which i don't know WHY it would be set to off) so I can fly around with the bat morph looking for a spot to call home?

EDIT: upon further digging, I found the config option:
# Disable the flight ability until a player has reached the nether?
# 0 = No
# 1 = Yes
I:disableEarlyGameFlight=1

Which begs the question... since getting to the nether is easy, (gem tools from PR) why has this been disabled by default?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
It's an early attempt at balancing the mod. It's harder to get to the nether than it is to kill a bat on your first day.

TrJace

Jul 29, 2019
in the newer version there is a config that requires that you kill the wither before you can fly

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
and who would bother grinding skulls just for that?

I think that's a pretty solid requirement TBH. I didn't even know morph had that option and it makes me want to give it a shot.

I removed it from the DW20 pack because it simply removes so many aspects of the game due to being OP, maybe i'll give it a shot on my next world.

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
I think that's a pretty solid requirement TBH. I didn't even know morph had that option and it makes me want to give it a shot.

I removed it from the DW20 pack because it simply removes so many aspects of the game due to being OP, maybe i'll give it a shot on my next world.

Couldn't agree more, I disabled morph aswell from my server for the exact same reason. Its essentially free flight with no compensation. However on the topic of killing the wither I do feel that that is so late game that you might as well just disable the mod if your trying to make it that hard just to obtain flight.

Reactions: Padfoote

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Couldn't agree more, I disabled morph aswell from my server for the exact same reason. Its essentially free flight with no compensation. However on the topic of killing the wither I do feel that that is so late game that you might as well just disable the mod if your trying to make it that hard just to obtain flight.
Well thats not the only use for the mod:p

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
Well thats not the only use for the mod:p
I realize that. Obviously it can be incredibly useful, Bat morph for creating tight space wiring (case and point). Don't get me wrong, it is definitely a cool idea. Just feel like it needs some more balancing. Possibly a kill count, which to obtain the morph you need to kill a certain amount of a certain mob to obtain it.

Skidd2

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you know what, I do think that as a balance, you could require the player to create an item, like for example: for the bat, you could require a "wings" item, or for a blaze, you could have a "blaze turbine" or something... that could have potential, because you could cause every item have some mid-tier created item, or something that most people will get, but not have immediatly. y'know?

Reactions: Jack0928PC

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Ideally one should have to find and kill "The Thing" to gain the ability to gain morphs, but all in time.

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Rare spawn mobs should give you morphs of their smaller less deadly counterparts. Want a bat morph? Well here is Dracula he will give you wolf and bat, just watch out he is hungry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
I kinda enjoy hunger overhaul combined with morph, it makes that hunger hit a bit more of a concern especially when hunger kills you in 2-3 hits and most vanilla foods only give 1-2 hunger haunches.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you know what, I do think that as a balance, you could require the player to create an item, like for example: for the bat, you could require a "wings" item, or for a blaze, you could have a "blaze turbine" or something... that could have potential, because you could cause every item have some mid-tier created item, or something that most people will get, but not have immediatly. y'know?
But then no mod support.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
When I tried an early version of morph it was set so that you lost all your morphs when you died, and so you had to go out an re-aquire them. Sucked big time when I died as a bat while exploring underground ravines.

As much as it sucked at the time - I think losing your morphs when you die is a great way to help balance things.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
When I tried an early version of morph it was set so that you lost all your morphs when you died, and so you had to go out an re-aquire them. Sucked big time when I died as a bat while exploring underground ravines.

As much as it sucked at the time - I think losing your morphs when you die is a great way to help balance things.

This is currently a config option that is defaulted off. Sounds like an interesting twist on things, so I'll be turning this on.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
My MPS has glide wings and super jump so I really only use the bat's size. If I get stuck/lost I have the portal gun.

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Want a bats size but don't wanna be so OP?.....kill a darkling get into those one block holes and climb walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk