Dumb Tinkers Contruct Tricks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
In light of the Modular Suit thread... I present the Dumb Tinkers Construct tricks thread...

Here's our first example.

This is a time to which it is more efficient for you to farm your wood than forestry multi farm, steves cart, or even MFR tree farming.

1) create lumber axe. Doesn't have to be high tech or even modified. Just build a straight up stone lumber axe.
2) plant rows of oak wood with no space in between each sapling. Between each row I put down torches to give the dense trees light, but whatever.
3) Wait for all the trees to grow.
4) walk up to first row of trees. Cut bottom log of any tree.
5) watch the entire row explode and rain logs down upon you.
6) go to the next row and repeat until done with rows.
7) Drop your jaw and don't forget to laugh out loud.
8) ?????
9) Something about profit?

Whats actually happening. the lumber axe cuts any tree 3x3 (logs with leaves on top of logs). Why would the lumber axe blow up trees that are farther away than 3? Because oak logs grow together righ next to each other, tinkers thinks the whole row is one tree. ergo hit the bottom log of any tree and everything explodes. Your only wear and tear on the lumber axe is from cutting the one log which is hardly noticeable.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
Huh, I didn't know oak trees could grow right next to each other like that, does that work with any tree?

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Should do if they use vannila-esc code.
Oak is the only vanilla tree that will grow together. I don' know about modded trees. There is no information on that stuff. I might test it though. Should make for good times.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Oak is the only vanilla tree that will grow together. I don' know about modded trees. There is no information on that stuff. I might test it though. Should make for good times.

Yeah I'm also pretty sure Oak is the only one. Afaik all the others require a certain amount of room around them.

That said, I have to try that lumber axe :D

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
I once flattened an entire hill and cut down several trees with a lumber axe... So be careful what you're hitting with them! (The server also didn't appreciate it too much...)

Reactions: SonOfABirch

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
So... does that axe work on Seqoia trees? cause... dayum.

If I might hijack the thread a little, anyone know where to direct a newb at TC to some videos or some such in the vein of the Beecademy videos that could help me start? There's just so many materials and stuff I dunno where to begin :x

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
all of the bee stuff is way over my head. The tree breeding is up there too. I just collect it thinking one day I will be dumb enough or smart enough to start learning it.[DOUBLEPOST=1375113466][/DOUBLEPOST]haven't really seen a sequioa, but I imagine it would. it goes 30 blocks up.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019

If I might hijack the thread a little, anyone know where to direct a newb at TC to some videos or some such in the vein of the Beecademy videos that could help me start? There's just so many materials and stuff I dunno where to begin :x

Most of the info you need should be in the books you get, the first book will tell you all you need to make your basic work stations, once you make one of those the next book will appear and tell you about most of the materials, and once you make some seared bricks the third book about smelteries will appear.

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019

I know it works on Thaumcraft greatwood trees. I chopped that thing and it quite literally exploded and sent wood everywhere. It was awesome.

My question it's...would it work on one of those massive twilight oaks? *shiver*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

FrankieTheSnake

Jul 29, 2019
I think configs allow you to say what trees the axe can bring down, altough FTB should cover that (I'm not sure tho so if I'm wrong don't yell at meh :))

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
The axe works whenever there are leaves less than 30 blocks from the one you're chopping.

For instance, it won't cop down an entire redwood from the base, but it'll top it from near the top (and it zapped about half the energy from my advanced jetpack to do it, but netted me about 12 stacks of wood + the bark).

EDIT: After experimentation with the BoP trees and stone axes, I think it also won't work when it would break the axe to do it.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Post count leeching grammar police. Who the f cares about that crap.

Post count leeching? I was commenting a friendly spelling correction that he may have otherwise not known, in a thread that is already thriving. Have some love and tolerance, will you?

The best thing about this bug is that mDiyo will actually fix it instead of just making the lumber axe cost tons of Iridium, like many other modders would do.

Reactions: Jess887cp

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
I know it works on Thaumcraft greatwood trees. I chopped that thing and it quite literally exploded and sent wood everywhere. It was awesome.

My question it's...would it work on one of those massive twilight oaks? *shiver*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Well, I used my MPS axe module (with treecapitator installed. Don't judge me), and coincidentally chopped one with it this morning. It completely dropped my power supply to zero and got me, what, 13 stacks of wood? (I THINK it was the sickly oak tree). Ill post a screenshot today when I get back to my computer...

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Well, I used my MPS axe module (with treecapitator installed. Don't judge me), and coincidentally chopped one with it this morning. It completely dropped my power supply to zero and got me, what, 13 stacks of wood? (I THINK it was the sickly oak tree). Ill post a screenshot today when I get back to my computer...
not going to hate to much... lumber axe essentially is the tree capitator mod, minus the wear of the tool.