Double clicking to empty inventory

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I run a tree farm and often have to transfer my apples and saplings into my ME storage network. So I open the chest they are in, grab one stack in my hand, and then double click on a second stack in the chest while holding the SHIFT key down. This instantly populates my inventory with as many stacks of apples as I can fit.

Then I go over to my ME Terminal, right click on it to "open it", and while I'm connected to it like that, I grab one stack of apples in my inventory, and I shift-double click with it on a second stack of apples.

90% of the time, the apples all go into my ME storage at once, as should be. But 10% of the time, the apples don't go into my ME - instead, they all end up on the floor in front of my ME Terminal. I have to wait until the game "picks them all up again" (its automatic as long as I'm standing over them), and then I have to do my double-click trick again.

My question is - why does this happen to me approximately 10% of the time? Does my explanation make sense to anyone else? Have you also experienced this issue? Where does it come from? It has nothing to do with Applied Energistics because the same thing happens why I try to put a large amount of stacks into a chest at once. To my way of thinking, this appears to be a "de-sync" problem just like boats - it seems as if the game forgets I am connected to an inventory (whether it be my ME Storage Network or just a plain old chest), and has nowhere else to put the apples except dump them all onto the floor in front of me.

Yes, of course I know I can just run ME cable into an ME Interface and be done with manual transfer. But that's not my question here. Just trying to head off anyone who wants to offer me that "helpful" advice. :)

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I knew you could doubbleclick in the ME interface to transfer all similar items, but it is so buggy for me I dont bother using it(If I have to transfer large amounts of items to the ME network I use my Enderpouch instead). But I had no idea you could use the double click in normal inventories. I always use the Ctrl+shift+click to transfer all similar items and Space+click to transfer entire inventory.

Reactions: MigukNamja

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Cool rhn, thanks - that's why I post this long-winded stuff here, because perhaps some of you experts have a better method. I'll try what you described as an alternative. (Edit: Your commands aren't working for me, maybe those key commands are from a mod like Inventory Tweaks that isn't in my modpack?)

But yeah, it is indeed buggy for me too, but it has nothing to do with AE since the same thing happens with any inventory from time to time.

It's merely an annoyance obviously, nothing that's gonna make me quit playing or anything. But I'm always curious about stuff like this.

I'm playing a pack without the EnderPouch/EnderChest stuff. I greatly miss the Pouch, that's for sure. You're correct, having an EnderPouch directly tied into your ME Storage Network is the best thing ever - you NEVER EVER will run out of inventory space when you're 1000 blocks from home base again!

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Cool rhn, thanks - that's why I post this long-winded stuff here, because perhaps some of you experts have a better method. I'll try what you described as an alternative. (Edit: Your commands aren't working for me, maybe those key commands are from a mod like Inventory Tweaks that isn't in my modpack?)

But yeah, it is indeed buggy for me too, but it has nothing to do with AE since the same thing happens with any inventory from time to time.

It's merely an annoyance obviously, nothing that's gonna make me quit playing or anything. But I'm always curious about stuff like this.

I'm playing a pack without the EnderPouch/EnderChest stuff. I greatly miss the Pouch, that's for sure. You're correct, having an EnderPouch directly tied into your ME Storage Network is the best thing ever - you NEVER EVER will run out of inventory space when you're 1000 blocks from home base again!
Yeah I am pretty sure it is from Inventory Tweaks. Was rather sure that was a must for any modpack by now :p

Reactions: MigukNamja

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
why not transfer automatically with import bus and/or <insert long distance item teleport block here>

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
And which is the mod that is always re-arranging my inventory (when I didn't request it to do that) at random intervals?

I swear, I spend more time putting items where I want them in my inventory, because of whichever mod is re-arranging stuff. It's been happening for months now, and I still don't know why it happens. (Yes, I seem to be OCD and no, I can't seem to help it. LOL)

I know that isn't very descriptive, but perhaps someone will understand what I'm talking about. it's another one of those "no big deal" but very annoying things that happens in my worlds.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
And which is the mod that is always re-arranging my inventory (when I didn't request it to do that) at random intervals?

I swear, I spend more time putting items where I want them in my inventory, because of whichever mod is re-arranging stuff. It's been happening for months now, and I still don't know why it happens. (Yes, I seem to be OCD and no, I can't seem to help it. LOL)

I know that isn't very descriptive, but perhaps someone will understand what I'm talking about. it's another one of those "no big deal" but very annoying things that happens in my worlds.
I would have said Inventory Tweaks, except you don't have it. It have this stupid feature of using the default binding for sorting the inventory to the R key. And it does it no matter what GUI you have open. So searching the ME terminal, typing in chat window etc. will sort your inventory... That binding is a must to change IMO.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I prob do have Inv Tweaks installed in my modpack (Beyond Reality) - I just didn't look to see. I'll go take a look and check the keybindings for it and turn off the stupid reorganizing key. Thanks again rhn, you've always got the answer!

Yep, its in there, I think it's an optional mod in the pack but I did add it in apparently.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I prob do have Inv Tweaks installed in my modpack (Beyond Reality) - I just didn't look to see. I'll go take a look and check the keybindings for it and turn off the stupid reorganizing key. Thanks again rhn, you've always got the answer!

Yep, its in there, I think it's an optional mod in the pack but I did add it in apparently.
Btw the key bindings are not changed the usual place, but you need to open the inventory and then press the little [...] to open the menu.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Btw the key bindings are not changed the usual place, but you need to open the inventory and then press the little [...] to open the menu.

Awesome, that's def why I never changed it before. I always go right to "Options - Controls". Since it isn't in there, I never gave it any thought. Done, and my OCD thanks you profusely. :D

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Awesome, that's def why I never changed it before. I always go right to "Options - Controls". Since it isn't in there, I never gave it any thought. Done, and my OCD thanks you profusely. :D
there is also the middle-click to sort which can be annoying, changed in the same menu

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I have this happen in the 1.7 packs I am playing too. The only thing I have been able to find is it seems to happen when I am farther away from where I want to drop the inventory. I have the Botania ring that increases my reach. When I try to transfer items from several blocks away, they always end up on the ground. If I am in the space directly adjacent to the chest or ME interface, they never seem to drop on the ground. No idea how to fix it, but this is the only difference I have noticed between when they drop on the ground or don't.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I have this happen in the 1.7 packs I am playing too. The only thing I have been able to find is it seems to happen when I am farther away from where I want to drop the inventory. I have the Botania ring that increases my reach. When I try to transfer items from several blocks away, they always end up on the ground. If I am in the space directly adjacent to the chest or ME interface, they never seem to drop on the ground. No idea how to fix it, but this is the only difference I have noticed between when they drop on the ground or don't.

Good input. I'll keep an eye on how close I am to my ME Terminal and see if there's a correlation there. Pretty sure it happens to me a lot when I'm literally touching the terminal screen with my nose (lol), but I'll keep an eye on it, not that we can do anything about it.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
there is also the middle-click to sort which can be annoying, changed in the same menu
I stopped worrying about having my items arranged in a certain pattern in my inventory (barring the hotbar) a while ago. I find middle-click sorting useful but I turn off the R keybind for that.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I stopped worrying about having my items arranged in a certain pattern in my inventory (barring the hotbar) a while ago. I find middle-click sorting useful but I turn off the R keybind for that.
most annoying about the pair of binds is that they are the same as the default show recipe binds of NEI

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
most annoying about the pair of binds is that they are the same as the default show recipe binds of NEI
Yup. That often screws it up when you want to look up recipes for an item in your inventory. You end up looking for the wrong item.

In many mods checking if a player can interact with some block is a hardcoded calculation (it checks if the distance is less than 8). The Botania ring doesn't circumvent that (as far as I can tell from the code) so it might cause problems with modded blocks.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Every time I install a new client, I always go into the controls and do the following:

1. Map all commands I won't ever use or will only use late-game into keys I don't normally press, like tilda '~' or 'Page Up'
2. After that, make sure no other keybinds conflict

And, I love inventory tweaks. It's a "must-have" mod just after NEI.

Reactions: rhn