Do you set yourself any challenges?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you set yourself any challenges?

• Total voters

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
Do you set yourself any challenges? Avoiding certain mods or playing in a different way?

On my latest world i have decided to not use electricity or anything electrical. So I'm just using Tico, ars thuamcraft and rotary craft. I find challenges like this fun and would like to hear if anyone else has any.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
This time I'm not using any automated mining. Other automated stuff, sure, but no mining.

verid

Jul 29, 2019
On our server we reconfigure to have basically dense ore everywhere and ban automated mining. That makes for a good balance.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Im looking at upgrading to 1.6 and setting challenges by:

• removing MFR
  • Installing gregtech
  • Installing iguana tweaks for Tinkers Construct to nerf it a bit.
  • Possibly use iguana tweaks, but maybe not all of them. 1 coal and stick = 1 torch, etc. but maybe not the 5 times harder stone.
  • Setting forestry to Normal instead of the default settings, which is Easy mode.
  • removing EE3.
  • Setting quarries to require 300 mj to run at max speed.
  • Removing computer craft.
  • Setting TE3 to, if it still has them, upgraded steel recipes, and disabling tesseracts. MIght just remove TE3 altogether.
  • Removing ender storage.
  • Set MPS to gregtech recipes.
  • INSTALLING OPENCOMPUTERS! with gregtech recipes!

I also thought about removing automated mining, but with gregtech it would be too much, as I dont get to play as much as the guys on my server do. Plus automated mining without teleportation is a fun challenge. Ride the train to your quarrying area, etc.

My group moved up to 1.5 about... 4 weeks ago I think. They are already bored with DW20 1.5. One guy runs his base off of saplings off of a multifarm... and puts the logs into a DSU. When I ask him why he doesnt run a boiler for he logs he says 'and power what?' So we are setting up our own challenges, DW20 was a huge letdown. :/

When I asked one friend, who has only played about 2 months now, what he thought of MFR he said 'why do people even use this mod? You might as well play creative mode'. He has not even heard of the arguments on forums about people using this phrase, I had a good laugh. Told him 'dont say that on the ftb forums, you will get a warning'

Reactions: xbony2

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hmm not as such, but I tend to try and do things the smartest(IMO) way and not the easiest.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
My challenges tend to be
Do something different to the last world you were in

So.. pumped lava? Don't do that anymore as an example

This round, I set myself the challenge that i wasn't allowed to use any form of automated quarrying until I could get a pair of tesseracts and a way to power the automated mining through the tesseracts

verid

Jul 29, 2019
When I asked one friend, who has only played about 2 months now, what he thought of MFR he said 'why do people even use this mod? You might as well play creative mode'. He has not even heard of the arguments on forums about people using this phrase, I had a good laugh. Told him 'dont say that on the ftb forums, you will get a warning'

We turn on GregTech recipes for MFR (and disable IC2/TE/etc. recipes) and drastically increase MFR machines' power cost. That balances MFR quite nicely for our play style.

Reactions: Mevansuto and zorn

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to try to do things differently, odd ways of making power, odd ways of using it, weird interactions between mods things like that and doing it all while having a base that looks nice. Another thing I also do as a challenge is having everything on demand all items automated with an AE system that keeps a set amount of everything (base resources basically) "in stock". Bit harder to do now but I had a 1.2.5 world using EE2 that had everything auto produced and a massive logistics pipes system that could auto craft anything I wanted I could literally request a dozen HV solars and have them appear, was fun to setup. Lot harder to do that sort of thing now but I'm getting there.

Reactions: zorn

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently giving myself the challenge to only craft vanilla stone tools 1 time, and after that only use TiC tools
I also had a challenge to not die in a world before I had a way of storing experience, but because I was playing on hard I had to restart a world over and over and over and over, so at 1 point I just stopped that challenge.
I also had a challenge to only use the bat morph if I had to crawl through a 1x1 area, but because I've restarted a world so often I now just want to keep playing a world, so I also stopped doing that...
and also, I never ever smelt an ore in a furnace, I'll only allow myself to use an ore if I can double it or more.

budge

Jul 29, 2019
On my latest private server, I removed any and all forms of pseudo-creative flight and player teleporting (item/fluid/energy teleporting was still in). This meant no Modular Power Suits, no Gravisuite, no Mystcraft or Dimensional doors. It was fun; we ended up using a high-speed rail system and Archimedes' Ships (yeah it's flight, but it's COOL flight :)). Until someone discovered the bat morph...

I think our next world will reintroduce those excluded mods though, because they have other benefits that I've missed. Like pocket dimensions!

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
usually per map i'll set the rules of "the game"

in 1.4.7 i played a monk. i had to:
-avoid killing animals and villagers. allowing them to be killed is just as bad.
-protect villagers when i can, and ensure their safety.
-avoid magic and high tech.
-be self sufficient.

i haven't decided what i'm playing this time.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Im looking at upgrading to 1.6 and setting challenges by:

• removing MFR
  • Installing gregtech
  • Installing iguana tweaks for Tinkers Construct to nerf it a bit.
  • Possibly use iguana tweaks, but maybe not all of them. 1 coal and stick = 1 torch, etc. but maybe not the 5 times harder stone.
  • Setting forestry to Normal instead of the default settings, which is Easy mode.
  • removing EE3.
  • Setting quarries to require 300 mj to run at max speed.
  • Removing computer craft.
  • Setting TE3 to, if it still has them, upgraded steel recipes, and disabling tesseracts. MIght just remove TE3 altogether.
  • Removing ender storage.
  • Set MPS to gregtech recipes.
  • INSTALLING OPENCOMPUTERS! with gregtech recipes!

I also thought about removing automated mining, but with gregtech it would be too much, as I dont get to play as much as the guys on my server do. Plus automated mining without teleportation is a fun challenge. Ride the train to your quarrying area, etc.

My group moved up to 1.5 about... 4 weeks ago I think. They are already bored with DW20 1.5. One guy runs his base off of saplings off of a multifarm... and puts the logs into a DSU. When I ask him why he doesnt run a boiler for he logs he says 'and power what?' So we are setting up our own challenges, DW20 was a huge letdown. :/

You should keep MFR and enable GregTech recipes and up the power usage. You can do the same to Thermal Expansion. Just my advice.

I personally always set myself a goal and try not to deviate from that goal. My challenge is just to achieve that.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
@budge: I'd have been yelling at you to just disable flight control. :D

I challenge myself not to use the same mod all the time. So if I start with IC2 one time, the next time I go TE.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Geez, guys. I set myself challenges not in the technical area, but rather construction area.
Seriously, anyone there has decided to make a thematic build? Or just an epic looking base? Something that starts with a small area and then becomes a crazy, giant ass build? C'mon, inspiration is out there, you can do it.
After that, you may want to keep yourself from putting too many challenges in the technical area.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
You should keep MFR and enable GregTech recipes and up the power usage. You can do the same to Thermal Expansion. Just my advice.

I personally always set myself a goal and try not to deviate from that goal. My challenge is just to achieve that.

Im actually looking at unhinged now and trying to figure out how to increase the Harvester power usage, so it is less efficient than a multifarm. But even then, I cant figure out which difficulty setting Forestry is set at. Not familiar enough the forestry to try and figure out how to balance them.

The initial energy cost for MFR harvesters is 24 mj. Im thinking double or triple it? do you have any suggestions for MFR? I increased it to 240 and... it took 170K MJ to chop down 46 logs. :) Sounds too harsh lol.[DOUBLEPOST=1388521853][/DOUBLEPOST]
Geez, guys. I set myself challenges not in the technical area, but rather construction area.
Seriously, anyone there has decided to make a thematic build? Or just an epic looking base? Something that starts with a small area and then becomes a crazy, giant ass build? C'mon, inspiration is out there, you can do it.
After that, you may want to keep yourself from putting too many challenges in the technical area.

I do fun builds and try to make the machines fit in. This was my ultimate base:

http://imgur.com/a/FuRTp

I liked the tech challenge of gregtech, but its fun to make giant builds too. Its not easy to do really nice looking things though, IMO people go to college to learn 'Design' for a reason - it's not easy. :)

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Im actually looking at unhinged now and trying to figure out how to increase the Harvester power usage, so it is less efficient than a multifarm. But even then, I cant figure out which difficulty setting Forestry is set at. Not familiar enough the forestry to try and figure out how to balance them.

The initial energy cost for MFR harvesters is 24 mj. Im thinking double or triple it? do you have any suggestions for MFR? I increased it to 240 and... it took 170K MJ to chop down 46 logs. :) Sounds too harsh lol.

Up it to 80. Just a guess. Try that out. You'll probably have to change the difficulty of forestry to make a multifarious a better option.

Reactions: zorn

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
The many "exploits" that the game offers and the sandbox nature of FTB makes is so that self-limitation on what strategies you can/cannot go for, go a long way in extending the entertainment value of the game.

Whether it be creating fully self-sustaining/automated systems, limitations on usage of one-block renewable energy, or the strict regulation on EE usage (1.4.7 especially), are such examples.

My interest in the game is being able to engineer systems. Whether it be designing, building, modifying, expanding or upgrading them, it is always a challenge to do so, when certain limits are put into place.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
With 1.6 I have generally set myself several challenges the biggest two being no visible tech and no auto mining. I've also tried to stay away from some of the more common power generation methods like railcraft and have been enjoying solar boilers from factorization. I've also tried to maximize ore yields by using the 'right' machines for each ore so copper and lead go to TE, iron to IC2, and Silver and gold to Mek.

Also, although it is not a challenge exactly, my some what hoarding personality will not let me just smelt ores, when I started my current world I ran around for half an hour trying to find quartz for a grindstone.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
I don't play enough to go tired of non-challenging ways to play (at least I haven't yet). Though, I once played a world pretending to be some sort of underground mole-man.
1) The sun will burn me - only traverse the surface at night time.
2) The surface is "sacred". Do not gather resources from there unless extremely necessary (punching down a couple of trees to get started, shearing sheep to make a bed).
3) Do not build anything above ground.

The result is a vast hall the size of a football stadium, spanning from Bedrock to layer 55, hidden underneath an NPC village (quarries, ya know...). The only entrance is via a hatch in the remotest little hut in the corner of the village. In my giant hall, I've built a village of my own, mirroring the one above. A naturally-generated hole in the ceiling allowed me to use the searing power of the sun to generate electricity.