Do you like to live close to other players?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Sprung

Jul 29, 2019
I play on a Mindcrack V8 server with some friends and coworkers. It is about 6 weeks old.

Personally the most frustrating thing for me is when people take advantage of my industriousness. I spend a lot of work making a full compliment if machines including grief tech stuff only to log in and find other players using all if my stuff for their own use.

I think they do this because they don't want to make it themselves. It gets annoying when you can't use your own stuff. And they also tend to put huge loaded in the grinder or centrifuge and then leave for long periods of time.

Long story short I have had to move my base twice further and further away from the spawn to avoid this. The downside is no I can't show off my cool stuff because its an ocean away.

How do you all tackle these sort of issues?

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
I think the simple solution is to set up a basic set of machines as a sort of shared machine room. yes, this costs you some resources as the industrious one, but it lets you create your 2nd set in your base and have it (hopefully) be left alone.

Making and labeling a shared room, then making your own is the super-nice way of saying "this is my own personal shit, do not mess with".

Reactions: Museli

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
We use the MyTown mod, which is based on Townie. It lets everybody control who can use use/place/break/pick up stuff in their "towns", or even prevent people from entering at all.

On the social engineering side, I strongly recommend voice chat ala Teamspeak. Text chat is terrible for those "I like you and all, but GTFO out of my base" conversations.

Vilmos

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds like a good compromise. It does bug me when I make a sorting system and people come in and create chests in the middle of the floor and dump all sorts of random shit in it. I mean 5 meters away there is a chest what will sort all of the junk into barrels! Argh!

Vilmos

Jul 29, 2019
One MFFS set to kill can correct that behavior very rapidly. Especially if you set up the security to strip all their stuff from them. Nothing like taking everything the trespasser has. Of course I'm considered somewhat anti-social and been told I'm mean.
By the naked villagers I'm guessing! :p

Reactions: Confidential1207

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I like to be the guy that makes the fancy stuff that other people can leech off of, contributing in that fashion helps to give me a sense of goal that I would otherwise be without.

I mean, if I wasn't the fancy-junk-guy, I'd probably just peter out after I built a house out of sandstone and obsidian and warded glass ;)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I'm completely the other way around. I like cooperative play and will attempt to build for other people specifically so they can use the stuff I construct.

And then I get annoyed when they go off and do their own thing. Like, seriously dude! I have a tungsten-ready industrial blast furnace right here! Do you know how much that cost? And you want to build another one just half a screen over yonder? Gah, such a waste of resources! :eek:

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, or you could just force them to logg into a computer when they wanna go in(like a guestbook), dump their shit into marked chests if it's still there when you logg in.

Just the fact that you're tracking the room use should dissuade most of 'em.

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
For the current server/map I play on(~30 people), I got off to an early lead machine wise verses the other players(with a few exceptions), and I traveled a bit from spawn to build my base(~400 blocks; though the closest 'factory' to spawn at the time). At first I didn't mind the others coming over using my factory, until about 2-3 weeks in when those of us that did have a stable factory ran into the same problems as OP. We'd log in and find 3-4 people using our machines, things we were centrifuging would be taken out so people could spin sticky resin, chests left haphazardly, materials and resources would go missing, etc. (Please note here, that the members that were experiancing these problems didn't/don't consider it griefing, but rather lack of communication and consideration; I mean there was no real harm done, just an annoyance)

After a week or two of dealing with this, me and the others that were experiencing the same problems got together and eventually came up with the solution to wrap our machine rooms with warded glass. We left signs stating we'd build a community factory(ComFac) at spawn if players would donate the required resources. Left chests w/ signs at spawn and in 3 days had the materials to get it up and running.

At first the comfac was used quite heavily, but about a week after it was up and running, it began seeing very little use. I mean, new players to the server use it quite a bit, but the original lot are never seen in it except to donate any excess materials they have. It may be vain of me, but I feel as though the machine lock out prompted those 'abusive' player's to get their own setups going.

Afterthoughts:
As for the MFFS setups, depending on the server and how close-knit the players are, I'm generally against such things. I mean, I don't mind if someone needs to use my machines real fast, but I don't like having to wait hours while someone processes every ore they found after running a 64x64 quarry in a mystcraft age to bedrock with the extra ores attribute on the age.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I like living near other players and letting people use my machines as long as it doesn't interfere with my own use. I usually just toss left-behind items in a Lost and Found chest and tell people not to use the In Demand stuff like Crystallizers.

Reactions: Flipz

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
The problem here is when people abuse of you allowing the use of your machines.

When they are unused, as log as enough power is being produced, that's not a problem for anyone.
But when people put massive amount in the machines, and just walk off or even log off, it starts to get ugly, because they definitely don't think about other people, and certainly not about the owner of the machines.

On some servers, it even ends up with some resources in the base and machines to "disappear" when the owner is not there, and that is the worst part of it.

I tend to also be part of the guys that let others access my machines, but if I need to use them myself, I won't wait for their stuff to finish, and put it in a chest.
As soon as any resources of mine disappear from my base without my consent, I shut off the entire energy generation, effectively shutting down the whole machine room.

It's quite easy to do, really, just a redstone signal on a transformer or a storage unit usually works just fine.

If all fails, I setup a small MFFS force field and only give access on demand, or setup a "request/input - output" chests system, and put the things in myself.

The worst part is that usually, all this is caused by one or two persons, where all the others are mindful of the system in place, and it ends up hurting all the ones that didn't abuse it.

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
The problem here is when people abuse of you allowing the use of your machines.

When they are unused, as log as enough power is being produced, that's not a problem for anyone.
But when people put massive amount in the machines, and just walk off or even log off, it starts to get ugly, because they definitely don't think about other people, and certainly not about the owner of the machines.

On some servers, it even ends up with some resources in the base and machines to "disappear" when the owner is not there, and that is the worst part of it.

I tend to also be part of the guys that let others access my machines, but if I need to use them myself, I won't wait for their stuff to finish, and put it in a chest.
As soon as any resources of mine disappear from my base without my consent, I shut off the entire energy generation, effectively shutting down the whole machine room.

It's quite easy to do, really, just a redstone signal on a transformer or a storage unit usually works just fine.

If all fails, I setup a small MFFS force field and only give access on demand, or setup a "request/input - output" chests system, and put the things in myself.

The worst part is that usually, all this is caused by one or two persons, where all the others are mindful of the system in place, and it ends up hurting all the ones that didn't abuse it.

I don't think its so much that people intentionally abuse the system, but rather there's issues with text communications. I mean, without verbal cues it's hard to tell when someone is joking or when they are serious about a topic. As with my case, it wasn't so much that the 'abusive' players were lazy or trying to take advantage, but rather they didn't realize they were causing issues.

When us 'abused' players got together, we discussed the whole redstone thing, but in the end felt it didn't send the direct message we wanted. I mean having an on/off lever could be confused with "trying to save power". Where as a box of warded glass says "stay the f*** out" :p

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
Just a quick note to clearify: I like playing with and as a community. I enjoy having RESPECTIVE neighbors. As of right now, I participate in as many, if not more, other-users' projects than I do my own. I mean, that is the point of SMP, isn't? But with that said, there are times when I want to do my own thing, or have my own private project on the server. So I usually travel until I find a desert or mountain ridge to build on and setup there, then link via rails, nether portal, mystcraft portals, etc to a central hub.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
I purposely live over a 1000 blocks from any living soul.
This is not because I am anti social, It's because I prefer unspoilt views and space to spread out.

That said, I leave my base open, and anyone is free to visit. Anyone can use my machines etc if they want it's no big deal.
It's just pixals.
I don't know any of the people I play with IRL. They just know not to take the piss I guess.
It's all about the people you play with that makes or breaks a server. Sure we have had our share of selfish gits, but they tend not to last long.
And yes I agree most of the time when problems arise it's missunderstandings rather than intentional.

I don't want to play on a server where I have to keep all my stuff locked up or surround my base with forcefields.
But for that to happen you need a server with mods that take a zero tollerance approach to arseholes.
Any thieving or griefing etc and they're out the door. Those tend to be the same people who intentionally abuse your good will as well.

Also I was offline for several weeks around Xmas. I came back to find my base in the same state I had left it in.
If your not playing with people who respect your property and respect you then it's time to move on imo.

Reactions: dc0110

kev12east

Jul 29, 2019
One MFFS set to kill can correct that behavior very rapidly. Especially if you set up the security to strip all their stuff from them. Nothing like taking everything the trespasser has. Of course I'm considered somewhat anti-social and been told I'm mean.
your not mean! I do the same thing with my enemies houses...best thing is to strip them of there quantum and use it for yourself! :p

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I was on a classic server once. I built an ENTIRE underground city, about 200 blocks large. No griefers found it, no matter how much they tunneled around.
I opened up a 1-block opening. 3 griefers instantly ran in and tore the place apart.
TL;DR (in which case you are incredibly lazy) build your entire base underground.
Alternatively, you could simply make a flying base waaaay up in the sky. Pull out your mining laser and whoop some **** if somebody tries to get up there. The jetpacks have limits, and the only thing that will reach you is a gravi suite. At that point, you hit the self destruct button. Flawless.
MFFS, as somebody said before will also work.
You could also try to leave a trap, make a crappy shelter and put a book in it that links to somewhere called "Machine room". Put some other useless books around it that lead to really boring places (with ways back of course) that make it look like an actual house. The machine rooms linking book will be disarming and will lead them into the nether, directly into a ghast farm.
You could also put up a sign saying something such as "I need one copper cable to fix this power line. Fill the hole in if you have any". Have it going into a batbox, which powers some crappy unupgraded machines, and then have a gated structure pipe underneath the batbox. Set it to emit a redstone signal if there's energy in the batbox. The redstone signal will go to a toggle switch/latch/whatever, which will activate a crap ton of industrial TNT below. Or, you could have a barrage of mining laser turtles mine the wall to the right and all shoot some scatter lasers, and just obliterate anything nearby. A sand attack would also work.
Building underground with warded stone blocks is probably your best bet, though. Put a 5-thick wall of them, then have a bunch of arcane doors that lead into your house. Then you can have your useless uncreative crap beautiful machinery and logic circuits inside.

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
@peggle this thread isn't really about griefers, so much as if you people or nature as your neighbor :p