Do modders get jealous?

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
As the title suggests, do modders get jealous in some way when their mod gets in a way replaced by another

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
I would think a little bit, But I personally have not had this happen to me.

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's fine to be a little jealous but also think how awesome it is if someone took what you did and made something better

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
Not that your saying it's a stupid thing, I'd be bummed if my mod got beaten after being popular or something

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Not that your saying it's a stupid thing, I'd be bummed if my mod got beaten after being popular or something

there's always people on the world that are more talented than yourself, I've learned to accept that and actually admire it aswell

Reactions: 1SDAN

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I get jealous at other modders' abilities because they often surpass mine. Instead of letting that bog me down, I let it push me to learn more, and try harder. I've also never released anything truly substantial, and a lot of that is because of the feeling of inferiority when you see the product others are putting out.
I can see someone feeling a sense of injustice when they work really hard on a mod and it gets largely ignored because someone with a bigger name makes basically the same thing. This is evident in LiquidXP vs OpenBlocks and Framez & RIM vs Funky Locomotion. It bugs me a bit when a "popular" modder decides to create something that is truly already there as created from someone less well known. I understand the concept of innovation and all but there is also such a thing as trying to improve the original existing thing, which is often possible with open-source projects.

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the argument is tho if you have a modder who maybe more experienced or not but who can produce a mod which operates well and doesn't produce well, then almost as natural selection people will shift to it.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I believe the argument is tho if you have a modder who maybe more experienced or not but who can produce a mod which operates well and doesn't produce well, then almost as natural selection people will shift to it.
except the MC modding scene is dominated by the popular streamer/youtuber, if they start using a mod then their fans will also start using it in favor of what could be the better mod

as long as most of them are using their favorite the rest of the community will follow. For example (from my experience) enderIO has been around a while but only recently gained popularity once DW20 put it in his pack and spotlighted it in his let's play

Arkandos

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I doubt they feel human emotion.
es1nQh8.jpg

Reactions: PierceSG and 1SDAN

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I think it is important to keep a friendly competition here. I have a good example of how it should be myself. As some may know I recently made a dimension builder in my RFTools mod which can be seen as a more technological version of Mystcraft (not exactly but almost). This was not made as a replacement for Mystcraft. I still love mystcraft very much and actually use it in my own world. I like the mystical feel that mystcraft gives. RFTools dimension building is much more technological. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that apparently XCompWiz (Mystcraft developer) feels the same. He recently commented in my forum saying the following:

Cool! This dimension generator stuff looks neat.
635356669595335315.png
This mod seems to provide a more tech-themed variant of what Mystcraft does.
635356669596273706.png
Your dims aren't as fully fleshed as Mystcraft's, but I expect that will change over time.
635356669595017022.png
If you want any tips be sure to shoot me a message! I'd love to hear how you handled things as well.
635356669596273706.png

That's what I consider the right spirit and I would feel exactly the same way if someone else make some other mod that does something similar to mine.