Do Clients Need to Share WorldGen Mods with Servers?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Title says it all. If I'm running a server, and I install, say, Realistic World Gen, will clients without the mod still be able to connect?
This isn't a huge issue I absolutely need to know the answer to, but it'd be nice to know for the future without having to bother with setting up a test for it. :p

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Only if the mod doesn't add blocks, items or any other new mechanics. It should be fine.
As the server sends the terrain map to the clients. You see it when you first log in to a server it will state "Downloading terrain". It even does it in single player since that one update.
If that terrain map has block data the client knows of, it has no reason to error. It's the reason totally Vanilla clients can join server even if it has plugins comeing out the whazoo.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Only if the mod doesn't add blocks, items or any other new mechanics. It should be fine.
As the server sends the terrain map to the clients. You see it when you first log in to a server it will state "Downloading terrain". It even does it in single player since that one update.
If that terrain map has block data the client knows of, it has no reason to error. It's the reason totally Vanilla clients can join server even if it has plugins comeing out the whazoo.

Awesome. My next world with friends will definitely use Fun World Gen, made by the same guy who made Realistic World Gen. :D I mean, I could use RWG as well, but I prefer ridiculous floating islands and stuff, or whatever it is Fun World Gen adds. :p

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Wow RWG looks amazing. Definitely giving that a try when I eventually move to 1.7.10 I think.
Although it seems a LOT less "grand" than ATG... :p

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
ATG is hit and miss with me. Sometimes you get situated on an un ideal part of the equator. At least unlike vanilla style distribution bop uses. In ATG you can keep trekking north or south untill the climate suits you.

Reactions: rhn

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
It does depend strongly on the mod in question. The only way to find out is to experiment. ATG for example adds its own technical biomes that the client will not understand if its not installed.

The mods explicitly tell forge whether the client or server part is necessary so the acid test is to set up an experiment where you run a server and connect to it with a client and see if it loads or not.

Last edited:

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I would say that you do need it, because unless the mod is something like customoregen (just changes how/where ore generates) then the likelihood is that a world gen mod adds at least one thing to the game.
For example, I believe the Skylands world from Better World Gen ("fun world gen") has specific things in it that aren't in other mods; new biomes.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm... Yeah, I'll probably do a test soon, then I'll come back here with what I find.
Although I think Fun World Gen IS it's own standalone mod now; Better World Gen got divided into that and RWG.

Reactions: jordsta95

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
ATG is hit and miss with me. Sometimes you get situated on an un ideal part of the equator. At least unlike vanilla style distribution bop uses. In ATG you can keep trekking north or south untill the climate suits you.

And I do adore the climate arranging that ATG uses that ensures that you don't get a desert right next to a snow biome for example. But wish it had a bit more variation in the landscape except just "rolling hills".

Reactions: jordsta95