Disposing of unwanted blocks from a quarry

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
As many know, when you run quarries, you get a bazillion cobble, dirt, sand, etc, and eventually you get to a point where enough is enough and you need to get rid of it. I've read that the BC void pipes are less CPU intensive for this purpose than dropping the blocks in lava, so I had a setup with my Tesseract feeding into BC pipes with two diamond pipes and two void pipes to deal with all the 'junk', then anything that passes the 'junk filters' moves on to an Enderchest, with a filter sucking the items out and dumping them into the pneumatic tube system.

I've re-engineered my setup to be the tesseract -> relay -> pneumatic tube ->Sorting Machine -> pneumatic tube system. The sorting Machine is using the 'Any Item Whole Stack With Default Route' mode, with the default route no color and anything I want disposed of black. It seems to be working well. Seems to be faster and overall more efficient.

Now, the 'dilemma' is what to do with the junk? Since as far as I know, there is no RP tube equivalent to the BC void pipe, at the moment, as I mentioned, I have the junk being coded black, and I have a relay with the pipe leading up to it painted black, so this is where the junk is going. That's spitting the junk blocks straight down onto an obsidian BC pipe, which is connected to a gold pipe, then a few stone pipes then finally a void pipe.

The question is, what's more 'efficient'? The way, I'm currently doing it, just have the relay dump into a pit of lava, or is there really no significant difference?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Well the RP answer I use is to just use an ejctor to sit unwanted items into a lava pool or into a simple Obsian pipe and void pipe setup.

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
Well the RP answer I use is to just use an ejctor to sit unwanted items into a lava pool or into a simple Obsian pipe and void pipe setup.

Which is essentially what I'm doing, with a change or two... If there is no significant benefit either way, then I'd probably leave it as is, but if just dripping them into lava is 'easier' on the server, then I'd change it (not like it's a difficult change).

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I have not noticed any issue with either of them. But I prefer to two pipe system over the lava just becuase you can cram that into just abotu any build and it does not make a light or sound update.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I think you're missing the best option which is to void pipe it long before it ever gets sorted in the first place. First pipe off my quarry---or more likely tesseract receiving input from tunnelbore is diamond, one of its branches is a void pipe. Lately 2 of the branches have been void pipe, I'm getting really picky.

Reactions: Dravarden

Zund

Jul 29, 2019
Void piping is better because it immediately deletes the entities, while dumping items into lava causes them to catch on fire briefly before disappearing. It's a fairly small difference individually, however if you continue to scale your mining operations upward it can become significant.

CrafterOfMines57

Jul 29, 2019
Now, the 'dilemma' is what to do with the junk? Since as far as I know, there is no RP tube equivalent to the BC void pipe, at the moment, as I mentioned, I have the junk being coded black, and I have a relay with the pipe leading up to it painted black, so this is where the junk is going. That's spitting the junk blocks straight down onto an obsidian BC pipe, which is connected to a gold pipe, then a few stone pipes then finally a void pipe.
To the IC2 Recycler!

Reactions: Whovian

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
I have not noticed any issue with either of them. But I prefer to two pipe system over the lava just becuase you can cram that into just abotu any build and it does not make a light or sound update.

Good point.

Void piping is better because it immediately deletes the entities, while dumping items into lava causes them to catch on fire briefly before disappearing. It's a fairly small difference individually, however if you continue to scale your mining operations upward it can become significant.

Well, I USED to do it this way..... BUT, I got tired of re-applying my 12 (At the moment) item junk filter... Plus doing it at the receiving end simplifies the quarry end to three blocks (quarry and two tesseracts), aside from a handful of cobble to place it and the markers on. Previously, I would have the quarry, an energy source (Originally a solar array, electric engine, redstone energy cell and a few redstone conduits), the quarry, BC pipes including the diamond pipe and void pipe and the Enderchest. This was before the Tesseracts were added. Modifying the same setup to use tesseract simplifies it a LITTLE, but not much.

To the IC2 Recycler!

Except they're too slow, and I really have nothing to do with the scrap... I set up a MassFab which has been running off an Ultimate hybrid solar panel (was actually running off nine for a while) for several months so I have over 900 STACKS of UU! UU is generated at an INSANE rate with nine Ultimate solar arrays!

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
You could use an IC2 Recycler, which actually uses the stuff for something and you aren't wasting it. You could macerate the cobble into sand and transmute the dirt into sand, then smelt it into glass. You could send it to an incinerator. Or, if you don't want to use it for anything (and don't feel like incinerating it), don't send it to the sorting system and instantly send it into a void pipe. I highly recommend using a recycler though.

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
You could use an IC2 Recycler, which actually uses the stuff for something and you aren't wasting it. You could macerate the cobble into sand and transmute the dirt into sand, then smelt it into glass. You could send it to an incinerator. Or, if you don't want to use it for anything (and don't feel like incinerating it), don't send it to the sorting system and instantly send it into a void pipe. I highly recommend using a recycler though.

I've used them playing Tekkit. They work, but honestly serve little purpose for me in FTB... I have a cobble generator which will give me all the cobble I want weather I'm quarrying or not (It feeds into a standalone wooden chest), which then translates into unlimited sand and glass.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I've used them playing Tekkit. They work, but honestly serve little purpose for me in FTB... I have a cobble generator which will give me all the cobble I want weather I'm quarrying or not (It feeds into a standalone wooden chest), which then translates into unlimited sand and glass.
Are you referencing the sand or the recycler?

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have GregTech installed? If so, recyclers are SUPER helpful.

Although some of Gregtech is nothing more than a pain (IE: MatterFabricators.... Why build something that is more expensive to make, uses more energy, but is orders of magnitude SLOWER than it's counterpart??), the Gregtech recycler seems to be a decent machine, but what am I going to do with the scrap? As I said, I already have TONS or UU, so using a recycler's just taking junk, and making something that's only marginally less useful.

I'm really just interested in the most efficient, least intensive way to dispose of all that junk... and Saice made a very good point with regards to the light and sound updates when using lava.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Although some of Gregtech is nothing more than a pain (IE: MatterFabricators.... Why build something that is more expensive to make, uses more energy, but is orders of magnitude SLOWER than it's counterpart??), the Gregtech recycler seems to be a decent machine, but what am I going to do with the scrap? As I said, I already have TONS or UU, so using a recycler's just taking junk, and making something that's only marginally less useful.
Fertilizer?

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I void pipe the cobble and dirt long before it hits my sorting system.

For the rest of the unwanted items, I simply pipe them into a chest where they are they piped out into a void pipe. Definitely not the most efficient set up, but it works.

ECrownofFire

Jul 29, 2019
I either void pipe it directly from the quarry, or just stick it in a Deep Storage Unit (on the Ultimate pack). 50 thousand cobble and counting...