Disabling neutral mob spawns

420Kebab1337

Jul 29, 2019
I am currently developing my own third party HQM modpack. It's going great.

My pack runs of a preset map. Don't want to spoil too much, but the modpack is completely based around exploration. However, I do not want neutral mobs to spawn. At all. No neutral mobs in the entire map. The only way to get neutral mobs is by the use of spawn eggs and safari nets. You could say I could just set the mobspawning gamerule to false, but this also disables hostile mob spawning, which is something I want to increase.

So, how do I disable neutrals from spawning? (Cows, sheep, squids etc)
And how do I increase the hostile mob spawn rate? Just a bit. (Zombies, skeletons etc)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Orien

Jul 29, 2019
For increasing spawn rate of monsters,I believe deadly world can do that. As for passive spawns I don't know. I might do a little more research and get back to you.

420Kebab1337

Jul 29, 2019
For increasing spawn rate of monsters,I believe deadly world can do that. As for passive spawns I don't know. I might do a little more research and get back to you.
Thanks for the help.
Should fix my hostile mob spawn rates right up.

Still need to get rid of those passive mobs though.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
For disabling passive mob spawns you can use biome tweaker. You'll need to enter the biome ids of every biome you need to disable the spawns in and then use the remove all spawns script with type "CREATURE"

Biochao

Jul 29, 2019
There's Mob Spawn Controls 2. It has a 1.7.10 port but it seems to be a dead mod. The author hasn't updated the original post from the 1.7.2 version...
Also, the post doesn't specify mod pack permissions, so as I just found out, getting permission for a public pack will be difficult...

Orien

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the help.
Should fix my hostile mob spawn rates right up.

Still need to get rid of those passive mobs though.
Actually not sure deadly world can increase spawn rates but it can increase dungeon and spawner rarity, you sould consult the tools for pack makers page (found Here) for more info on stuff like that.

420Kebab1337

Jul 29, 2019
For disabling passive mob spawns you can use biome tweaker. You'll need to enter the biome ids of every biome you need to disable the spawns in and then use the remove all spawns script with type "CREATURE"

Could I have some more help with that? I literally have no idea how any of that works, neither do I know how to script the slightest.

EDIT: Actually, I have a slight memory of reading somewhere that passive mobs can't spawn in ocean biomes. So, if I just set the entire map to an ocean biome using WorldPainter, passive mobs shouldn't spawn, right?

Last edited:

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Could I have some more help with that? I literally have no idea how any of that works, neither do I know how to script the slightest.

EDIT: Actually, I have a slight memory of reading somewhere that passive mobs can't spawn in ocean biomes. So, if I just set the entire map to an ocean biome using WorldPainter, passive mobs shouldn't spawn, right?
Passive mobs can spawn in oceans. Deserts however, they cannot spawn in.

420Kebab1337

Jul 29, 2019
Passive mobs can spawn in oceans. Deserts however, they cannot spawn in.
Would it somehow be possible to forcefully change an entire area into a desert biome then?
If that's not possible, then could you give me somewhat of a guide or something like that on the Biomes Tweaker mod? I have no idea how to write a script like that you talked about.

Orien

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing, I believe that passive mobs will not spawn if grass isn't present , for example in crash landing, the world is made of dust, so passive mobs won't spawn.

420Kebab1337

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing, I believe that passive mobs will not spawn if grass isn't present , for example in crash landing, the world is made of dust, so passive mobs won't spawn.
Yeah, I know. But theres alot of grass in my map. Taking it away would ruin the map.

So, is it possible to forcefully change the biome into a desert biome? I really need some help here guys :s

Biochao

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just curious to know if you did what I just did. I've been looking for another way to disable passive mobs and searching Google for Biome Tweaker as thephoenixlodge said, results in Biomes Tweaker, a different mod, being the first result. I was confused when I didn't see what thephoenixlodge was talking about in the config.

With Biome Tweaker once you run it, it generates a list of biome .json files with all the mobs that can spawn. In them you can just remove the mobs you don't want.

420Kebab1337

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just curious to know if you did what I just did. I've been looking for another way to disable passive mobs and searching Google for Biome Tweaker as thephoenixlodge said, results in Biomes Tweaker, a different mod, being the first result. I was confused when I didn't see what thephoenixlodge was talking about in the config.

With Biome Tweaker once you run it, it generates a list of biome .json files with all the mobs that can spawn. In them you can just remove the mobs you don't want.
Ah, I see. So, since my entire map is already set in an ocean biome, I just install the mod, run the game once, close it out, edit the jsons for the ocean biome and remove every script that has with a passive mob to do? Sorry, I've never edited json files before.

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
The Biome Tweaker http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/228895-biometweaker NOT BIOMES TWEAKER. I made that mistake and was super confused! He has a video you can watch that explains everything(if you can find it, I can't seem to find it now.) however the wiki also explains it in depth https://github.com/superckl/BiomeTweaker/wiki

In the pregenerated config file add a file array something to the effect of
"ExampleTweaks.cfg" (quotes included) and then create that same file in the folder. That file will be where you define your biomes you want to change and attributes about it.

Here is an example of my config file for my pack Hubris:
myBiomes = forBiomes(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) //Defines which biomes I want to target by their ID
myBiomes.set("topBlock", "Thaumcraft:blockTaint") //Sets the surface block of all the biomes under myBiomes

taintBiome = forBiomes(192) // My second change
taintBiome.addSpawn("net.minecraft.entity.monster.EntityZombie", "MONSTER", 200, 4, 10) //This adds mobs and can also remove them
taintBiome.addSpawn("net.minecraft.entity.monster.EntityCreeper", "MONSTER", 100, 4, 10)
taintBiome.addSpawn("net.minecraft.entity.monster.EntitySkeleton", "MONSTER", 100, 4, 10)
taintBiome.addSpawn("net.minecraft.entity.monster.EntityEnderman", "MONSTER", 100, 4, 10)
taintBiome.addSpawn("net.minecraft.entity.monster.EntitySpider", "MONSTER", 200, 4, 10)
taintBiome.addSpawn("net.minecraft.entity.monster.EntityChicken", "CREATURE", 300, 4, 10)
taintBiome.addSpawn("net.minecraft.entity.monster.EntityCow", "CREATURE", 300, 4, 10)
taintBiome.addSpawn("net.minecraft.entity.monster.EntityPig", "CREATURE", 300, 4, 10)
taintBiome.addSpawn("net.minecraft.entity.monster.EntitySheep", "CREATURE", 300, 4, 10)

420Kebab1337

Jul 29, 2019
I see. Thanks so much for the help.

oceanBiome.removeAllSpawns("CREATURE")
oceanBiome.removeAllSpawns("WATER_CREATURE")

This will remove all/most passive mobs from spawning in my map right? (Cows, chickens, squids, sheep, wolfs, pigs etc), since my entire map is an ocean biome already.

EDIT: nevermind, seems like my map has all kinds of biomes.

EDIT 2: So far what I've done is I went on my map, went around the whole map with F3, writing down every biome the map currently had. I then went into .minecraft\config\BiomeTweaker\output and edited every biome that I wrote down and removed all the passive mob spawns. So far I haven't seen any passive mobs. So, will this work?

Last edited:

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
Editing output does not work from what I remember. You have to configure through the new file you made.

420Kebab1337

Jul 29, 2019
Editing output does not work from what I remember. You have to configure through the new file you made.

Honestly, I have no idea about how to use this kinda stuff and it's extremely confusing to me.
Do I simply just create a new cfg file in .minecraft\config\BiomeTweaker and copy in the lines:
Code:
taigaBiome.removeAllSpawns("CREATURE")
taigaBiome.removeAllSpawns("WATER_CREATURE")
forestBiome.removeAllSpawns("CREATURE")
forestBiome.removeAllSpawns("WATER_CREATURE")
plainsBiome.removeAllSpawns("CREATURE")
plainsBiome.removeAllSpawns("WATER_CREATURE")
oceanBiome.removeAllSpawns("CREATURE")
oceanBiome.removeAllSpawns("WATER_CREATURE")

Or do I do this:
Code:
myBiomes = forBiomes(4, 1, 16, 2, 5, 0) \\ The id's of the biomes I want to remove passive spawns from
myBiomes.removeAllSpawns("CREATURE")
myBiomes.removeAllSpawns("WATER_CREATURE")

I'm sorry for bothering you with this, but as you can tell I'm very new to this and I've never done anything of the likes before.