Direwolf20 - Ore density and worldgen stats

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Following on from the mining stats for Horizons, discussed here

just completed a new set for Direwolf20, mining 100 chunks of a plains biome to bedrock (BoP disabled) with silk touch.

DW20 results for all ores, grouped by mod are here: http://i.imgur.com/rlC4CLu.jpg

Compared to Horizons, the DW20 sample yielded
  • 20% less diamonds
  • double the certus quartz
  • 50% more copper and
  • 80% more tin
Everything else in common between the two packs was comparable.

So there you go - what to expect when you head off with your trusty pick-axe ... have fun !!

Last edited:

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
it would be more interesting to see a comparison between dw201.6 and either a dw1.4 or better a dw1.5. But this is pretty cool.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
it would be more interesting to see a comparison between dw201.6 and either a dw1.4 or better a dw1.5. But this is pretty cool.

Running a 1.5 DW20 now, so should have results for comparison this evening :)

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
ah gotta fight hard for diamonds again... i loved my gold to diamonds from ee3

Couple more hours and I'll have the comparison from Direwolf 1.5 to 1.6

Already I can tell you that Iron and Gold are significantly down in the new 1.6 pack, compared to Unleashed and DW20 1.5

Will post a side-by-side later tonite. I hope this helps guide Eyamaz and Jade when they next tweak the oregen settings.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
it would be more interesting to see a comparison between dw201.6 and either a dw1.4 or better a dw1.5.

TL;DR: DW20 1.6 has half the iron and gold of 1.5, but double the silver and 5x the Aluminium

Okay, so here's a quick summary of the marked differences between the DW20 1.6 and previous DW 1.5 v2(1.1.3)
Same sample size/biome as before - stats expressed on an average per-chunk basis.

The DW 1.6 results fall short with
  • 25% less Diamonds than previously
  • half the Gold (only 11/chunk versus 23 in 1.5)
  • 60% the Iron (100 vs 175)
but has increased with
  • 5 times the Aluminium
  • double the Silver (28 vs 14)
  • 50% more Lead and Ferrous

Coal (+5%), Copper (+20%), Tin (-10%) and Uranium are similar between packs.

Worth noting: there are no Stony Hives in 1.6, so all your princesses will have to be acquired from mundane hives on the surface.

It is my understanding that Unleashed and DW 1.5 ore gen configurations were buffed above vanilla, so what we may be seeing is a return to the default values for iron and gold in 1.6.

Its late where I am, so graphics will have to wait till the morning.

Last edited:

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
big ups big ups...

hmmm... don't like less diamonds but I can get by that I guess. Both the iron and the gold can be answered easily enough from the twilight forrest (which this change makes absolutely necessary to have Twilight forrest now). There is no reason to have that much aluminum unless I'm missing something. Too much silver, Appreciate more lead. Ferreous needed a bump because it was seemingly difficult to get shiny. Need more copper than +20. Introduction to saltpeter (tons of it everywhere) will make tree farming useful and may have just declared my energy source for me. The still kinda lacking of copper will still push me away from forestry tree farming and back to MFR unfortunately.

groundhog

Jul 29, 2019
TL;DR: DW20 1.6 has half the iron and gold of 1.5, but double the silver and 5x the Aluminium

It is my understanding that Unleashed and DW 1.5 ore gen configurations were buffed above vanilla, so what we may be seeing is a return to the default values for iron and gold in 1.6.

Which begs the question, what do you thiink should be the ore settings? Was there too much iron/gold/diamonds in the previous 1.5 packs or is vanilla levels enough? In Direwolf's first episode of his new LetsPlay, he commented on the lack of Iron, which bears out what you're reporting.

big ups big ups...

hmmm... saltpeter (tons of it everywhere) will make tree farming useful and may have just declared my energy source for me. .

What do you have in mind?

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Just because of the copper needed I will not do a forestry tree farm. I will do a mfr tree farm, take the outputted wood, cook it, and throw it at 1 to 2 boilers and run industrial steam engines, as well as around many generators. Once automated, it will be renewable, self monitoring, and good source of mj. Its iron resource heavy, but its much less complicated than bio mass farms and I've never seen any shortage of iron ever since I started in 1.4.7.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
The aluminum gen seems ridiculous. I had so much of the crap in early packs, I started voiding it with cobble. Why they would add more now is beyond me.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
The aluminum gen seems ridiculous. I had so much of the crap in early packs, I started voiding it with cobble. Why they would add more now is beyond me.

I've started looking at some alternate configs, but the launcher bug has stopped me from providing a new update and some recommendations for the FTB modpack team.

Based on what you've seen or the stats above, what would you recommend is the right level/qty ?

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, it is hard to say since many of the mod ores are biome specific. Emeralds are only in extreme hills. BOP gems only spawn in certain biomes. Red project gems are also biome specific I believe. I know in packs with GT, the bauxite ore(aluminum) was only in the plains biomes. I doubt any relation between that and the aluminum we have, but you mined only plains biomes and have a huge amount of aluminum. Could be a COFH world gen tag that does it. I don't know how all of it works, just theorizing here. I have noticed when I find diamonds in the DW20, they tend to be in clusters of 2-4. I haven't found any large 4-6 ore block ones at all, but I have found a reasonable amount of them so far. I also notice the lack of lapis, which is fine with me since it tends to be another thing you end up with more of it than you need.

To truly get good numbers on world gen, you would have to analyze and even amount of each biome and then make averages. I don't think the main ores are affected so much by biome, but a mountain biome has a lot more stone for certain ores to spawn in at higher Y levels, where oceans have less. Not sure how it would affect the overall numbers though.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt any relation between that and the aluminum we have, but you mined only plains biomes and have a huge amount of aluminum. .

Yes, started in plains but have extended the study into other biomes now, to get a better sense of biome-variation on actual oregen.

What I'm interested in is your impressions of Aluminium. It appears to be spawning at higher levels and density than specified in the configs.

So in your opinion, is it a little excessive or many times over-abundant? TiC is one of the few mods I'm yet to explore, so I dont know how much Aluminium is "enough" ...

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
It is excessive. There are only a few uses for it. It is made to make heart containers which give can double your health hearts, but it is only 4 ingots per heart, so only 40 ingots. You can use it make alumite which you need for your 1st tools to mine cobalt and ardite in the nether. You really only need enough for a few tools and parts. The last use is for aluminum brass which you use to make casts. Once again, there are only a limited number of parts casts available so you don't need much. A recipe or 2 uses blank casts in the recipe. After that, it is useless except for making blocks. If you want to build with it, I guess it is ok. You probably could get through the game til you start a new world with only a few stacks and still never run out.

Reactions: un worry

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Aluminum brass casts aren't just for tools. Those of us who have discovered drawbridges are happy there is plenty of aluminum. Seeing those numbers for silver the first thing that popped into my head was factorization mirrors(again).

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
shouldn't aluminum blocks also work for beacon bases? and you can always use them for decoration aswell... people often forget that you can use your resources for aesthetic purposes aswell

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
This sounds good, 1.5 dw20 is so bad you can just hand mine and do anything you want, other than make hv solars.

Looking forward to 1.6 and actually needing to run a quarry ...

In dw20 diamonds spawn in clusters of 10, so if people are seeing 3-4 that's a definite drop.