Desperate for Agrarian Skies lag fix!

Indalor1

Jul 29, 2019
Ok before anyone asks, Yes I have tried increasing ram and changed the java options and added the advanced java script in the launcher. Nothing seems to work. And yes I spent hours searching and trying different fixes for lag that others have posted here and elsewhere. It starts from the word go so it isn't any pipe or duct or power or video issue with fire or water or moving parts.

My issue is every time I try to open anything with a GUI or inventory the game pauses or freezes from anywhere between 2 seconds to a full minute before it continues. Basically making interacting with almost anything non-vanilla, (or even vanilla like a chest), nearly unplayable. Open a chest (empty or full) and have to wait 10 to 20 sec for it to finish opening! open any machine to interact with it's GUI and again it freezes for as much as a minute.

I have spent hours looking for and trying different fixes for this but nothing seems to work. I'm Desperate now. I love the mod pack but it's pretty much more time waiting for something to open than actually playing time so basically unplayable!

HELP please?

Oh and yes I have thoroughly searched the support archive.

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
To help keep you sane, list everything you have done. Details. I can try to help but when I'm not sure you already tried it.. You would probably get annoyed but the suggestions from me and other users.

What version of AS are you on? Is this a SP game or a MP game? What does "it starts from the word go" mean? You mean on a fresh map you have the same issue? Did you always have lag or did it start? If it did start somehow, when? What has changed? etc.

Indalor1

Jul 29, 2019
Single Player. The lag started from the moment I first logged in on the first map (the small house with the hill and water next to it)(and did the same with the platform as well). That was 4 or 5 updates ago. Now on the latest update as of this morning 7/5/2014 (3.1.1) nothing has changed.

Ok lets see.. first I tried adding dedicated ram. I have 16 gigs on my computer so I dedicated 10 full gigs just to Minecraft. Didn't change a thing.

Then I figured it might be a java problem so first I tried updating both 32 and 64bit java (I have both on the comp because I have a couple of older games that won't work on 64 bit). Didn't change anything either.

Then I saw a posting in the FTB support saying it might work to add in a JVM argument to the launcher http://support.feed-the-beast.com/questions/6987/insane-lags-on-agrarian-skies . This actually made things worse so I deleted it immediately but somehow lost all of the completed quests in the quest book.

I tried turning off NEI. Nothing changed.

I set all the video setting in the game to bare minimum. Again no change.

Same with audio settings. Nothing.

I even disabled InventoryTweaks because a friend who plays hates it and never seems to have lag. Still nothing.

I saw somewhere, not sure where now, that it could be my security settings on my virus protection with Java so I even added java as a specific exemption and that actually crashed the game and corrupted my latest save.

I turned OFF my virus protection to see if that would help and still no change.

At this point I'm at my wit's end. For a while I just just accepted the issue as something I would just have to live with but it has finally driven my bonkers. The farther into the quest lines you get the more often to have to open a GUI or inventory.

Last edited:

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
Oh wow, this is an odd issue. When you start agrarian skies there is nothing that could cause real lag.

Set the RAM amount back to 3,5GB or so. 10GB is way too much anyway, it could cause issues.
How do any of the other FTB packs perform? same issue there?
Did you ever try to update your graphic card drivers? motherboard chipset drives? etc. I'd look at those things instead of something in Mincecraft itself.

Indalor1

Jul 29, 2019
Actually I hadn't tried either the graphics or the chipset updates. I have now and still getting the same annoying problems with opening GUIs and inventories.

Also I have never had this problem with any of the other mod packs. I have played Magic worlds 1 and 2, Magic Farm 2 and 2 of the tech modpacks and never had any issues with opening things. I even started a new Monster game earlier this afternoon and played for 4 hours and had no issues of any kind. So it appears it is only Agrarian Skies.

If I wasn't already bald I'd be pulling my hair out.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
AgS has Ex Nihilo, which adds barrels. For me, barrels are a source of FPS lag, but I assume they could also be the source of my lag as well. I only have a few barrels, so lag is minimum, but still present. Do you have (m)any barrels, or is the lag present as soon as you load the world for the first time?

Indalor1

Jul 29, 2019
The issue is there from the very start.

But my roommate tells me I should be a bit more specific. I haven't had actual video lag, this is an inventory and/or GUI issue. When I am not opening anything I have pretty much zero issues. It only gets annoying when I open something that has a GUI or inventory.

Indalor1

Jul 29, 2019
Ok it looks like I fixed the problem. It seems I had a buggy version or improperly installed version of java 64bit. I must have made a mistake installing it and it wasn't running properly. I uninstalled all forms of java and reinstalled it and everything seems to be working fine.

Thank you all for the help.