D20 Pack, random freeze and high CPU usage.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Basically what happened is, I loaded up my world (I was on a ladder that goes from bedrock to ocean-level land.) I go up, no problem, as soon as I got out at the top and walk forward, I check my inventory and suddenly my game slows-down to a crawl and goes on to fully-freezing, suddenly hear my Laptop's fans going crazy and see my CPU is at 100%, I had to kill it via task manager, so no logs unfortunately.

I've had some slowdowns while surfacing from mining before (I have a couple of exits/ entrances to my "mines."

Its on an island in a large-biomes ocean, so not much to render above, but a lot of caves and ravines below.
(Tho it really hasn't had a problem like this before.)

Any ideas?

(On the D20 subject, on the tab that shows different versions, there's the 5.0.1, the 5.1.0, the 5.2.0 and THEN there's the recommended, and the Modpack itself shows the newest to be 5.1.1, so anyone mind explaining what's the deal with all that?)

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I had similar issues to you, and a quick look at the support site revealed this argument:
Code:
-XX:MaxPermGen=512m

Which seemed to do the job (if you still have issues, try reducing it to 128m).

Also,with regards to the multiple packs, the 5.1.1 is the current recommended version, while the 5.2.0 is currently in testing. If you select the recommended version it will auto-update to 5.2.1 (as it probably will be then) when it comes along, while selecting 5.1.1 now will keep it on that until you tell it to upgrade.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
I had similar issues to you, and a quick look at the support site revealed this argument:
Code:
-XX:MaxPermGen=512m

Which seemed to do the job (if you still have issues, try reducing it to 128m).

Also,with regards to the multiple packs, the 5.1.1 is the current recommended version, while the 5.2.0 is currently in testing. If you select the recommended version it will auto-update to 5.2.1 (as it probably will be then) when it comes along, while selecting 5.1.1 now will keep it on that until you tell it to upgrade.

Ah, thanks!
So where do I change this MaxPermgen thing?

Also, would you happen to know where it says what these test versions do?
I hear the latest D20 update has some problems with memory leaks and whatnot so i may just skip straight to 5.2.0

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
You put the argument into the launch options (possibly under advanced under the options pane).

The pack update info can be found under the dev section of the forum, as I recall. The new version also has useful xycraft stuff (the fabricators and tanks are awesome!)

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, in "Aditional Java Parameters" I assume?

Also, neat, finally Xycraft does something other than take space, cause lag and turn caves into Discos. :p