Request Custom mod pack launcher????

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

a7xjunky

Jul 29, 2019
I love the mod packs that FTB has, especially Ultimate and Resurrection. But I'm wondering why a launcher hasn't been developed that has an archive of mods that the user can select from to create a custom mod pack. It tells you which mods are compatible with one another, and when game instability is reached (Expl. when too many mods could possibly causing game lag and/or crash) to help you better select your mods. And once you've chosen all your mods, and maybe allowing you to name the mod pack, the launcher then allows you to directly download those mods from the archive and let's you start playing.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
It tells you which mods are compatible with one another, and when game instability is reached (Expl. when too many mods could possibly causing game lag and/or crash) to help you better select your mods.
Because that is the sort of thing that takes months of development and testing by a team of modpack developers and betatesters to figure out...

Reactions: Padfoote

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
First off, check out the new Curse Voice beta launcher... FtB will be moving to that when it exits beta. It has an easy method to add additional mods or even create completely new ones. I hear there may even be a feature to download your custom configs to a thumb drive and other means of sharing soon.

As far as the info you are asking for about Mods, the only way I know of is experience... Not only do you have mod "A"/mod "B" incompatibilities, but sometimes a completely unrelated mod is updated it can cause problems. It would be nice to have the compatibility chart you ask for but it would probably be a full time job for someone to create and maintain.

Reactions: rhn

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
There isn't a specific end setting for "instability". Nothing would be able to look at your choice of mods and say "You have 106 mods, 105 would have been ok, but this is impossible". Same with incompatibilities... you can only really figure out that two mods are incompatible by throwing them together and having things break. Which at the end of the day is why we have modpack makers, and testers.
As for the repo of mods, definitely keep an eye on curse and their launcher (if you have windows), but also multiMC and their quickmods.

Reactions: Hambeau and rhn