Cross mod power generation

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious as to what fun ways people have found to convert power in one mod to another. Say if you had a seemingly bottomless well of BloodMagic LP, but needed Botania mana? Or a Thaumcraft node larger than the sun, but needed RF? Or a near infinite amount of EE3 EMC, but needed RotaryCraft rotational energy? I want to hear every start point and every end point for power generation, bust out those super converters!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm curious as to what fun ways people have found to convert power in one mod to another. Say if you had a seemingly bottomless well of BloodMagic LP, but needed Botania mana? Or a Thaumcraft node larger than the sun, but needed RF? Or a near infinite amount of EE3 EMC, but needed RotaryCraft rotational energy? I want to hear every start point and every end point for power generation, bust out those super converters!
My all around favorite is converting stuff via PneumaticCraft.

PneumaticCraft is a mod based on compressed air, so its not much of a surprise that you can take, say, BigReactors RF in a Flux Compressor, and get compressed air in return. You can then use that compressed air in, say, a pneumatic generator to get industrialcraft EUs. I believe there is support for some other systems.

I like that it creates a challenge of converting power. PC also has "heat" which interferes with your efforts. The more energy you try to convert, the more heat you generate and the less efficient your conversion will be. Even a "small" amount, such as 15k RF/T from a standard BR turbine, will require piles and piles of compressed iron for all the cooling apparatus you'll need to set up to keep your conversions going smoothly.

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
Not able to test anything right now, so I'm just spitballing here. If Pam's Harvestcraft food has an EMC value, you could convert EMC to food, throw the food in an ExtraUtilities Culinary Generator, take the RF output from that and feed it into a RC magnestatic engine for shaft power, use the shaft power to feed into a spawner and mob grinder, and dump the drops back into EMC, hopefully for some kind of net gain.

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
You can turn food in a Lot of other energy sources botania extra Utilities
There is also if you need vis you can turn lp or Mana with a staff core for that into vis
Mana fluxfield is also interesting But i think TNT is a Good source Maybe the explosions of the TNT Generator Are absorbt by a entropynnium (arrrgh... Spelling....)

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
I'd grow carrots, potatoes, seeds, melon seeds, pupmkin seeds, acacia, oak, birch and rubber saplings and fill em into a MFR biofuel reactor (controlled by BC gates to always have all of them in the machine). The BioFuel is used to make steam in an RC HP boiler and filled into a max sized steel tank. The fill grade of the tank is used to turn the boiler on and off on demand (BC-gates-RS-Latch). The steam is then piped to any location needing energy and converted to RF with industrial steam engines or to IC2-power with a RC-turbine.
The wood from the treefarms isn't wasted but turned into charcoal to produce steel or to power the locomotives that transport the steam to places too far away for piping.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
You are not going to find one for RC. :p

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
You are not going to find one for RC.
Well, maybe not a good one, haha. Those magnetostatics might not have the best conversion rate, and are gated by RC progress, but I should be able to find a power source strong (or looping exploity thing) enough to keep a teir 5 fully powered. A bank of one tick, all four stage extractors is good enough for me.

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's unlikely that any item in RC will have an EMC value. Being able to just magically have anything you want goes against Reika's design policy. Maybe using them as an EMC source, but not as a target.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Well, maybe not a good one, haha. Those magnetostatics might not have the best conversion rate, and are gated by RC progress, but I should be able to find a power source strong (or looping exploity thing) enough to keep a teir 5 fully powered. A bank of one tick, all four stage extractors is good enough for me.
That takes 230MW each. :p

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Even a "small" amount, such as 15k RF/T from a standard BR turbine

Heh... when I started playing modded Minecraft, that was an absolutely ludicrous amount of power, and the only thing you could sanely do with it was dump it into a mass fab. (15k RF/t is about 4k EU/t)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Heh... when I started playing modded Minecraft, that was an absolutely ludicrous amount of power, and the only thing you could sanely do with it was dump it into a mass fab. (15k RF/t is about 4k EU/t)
Yep, I gather you noticed the quotes around it :)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
And it is a nice example of one of the things that make me dislike rf. Its value decreased so much

Reactions: immibis

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
And it is a nice example of one of the things that make me dislike rf. Its value decreased so much
Its not such a big deal so long as there are machines that will consume decent quantities of it.

MJ was always a problem because there were instances where 1MJ/t wasn't small enough to work with (redstone engines), floating point math notwithstanding.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Its not such a big deal so long as there are machines that will consume decent quantities of it.

MJ was always a problem because there were instances where 1MJ/t wasn't small enough to work with (redstone engines), floating point math notwithstanding.
Maybe, but I just hate to work with millions or more when it is unnecessary in my eyes it looks ugly when its not needed.

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe, but I just hate to work with millions or more when it is unnecessary in my eyes it looks ugly when its not needed.
Say what you will, but I plan on building my power generation room out of EnderIO capaciters for near infinite power storage, and my AE autocrafting room out of dense energy cells just to watch the colors change.

Reactions: Lethosos

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
Try instead of using cables from thermal Dynamiks capacitor Banks that would be funny because the Output raises and machienes are filling instand

immibis

Jul 29, 2019

An interesting point. If I think about it, that would have happened to BC power, but probably wouldn't have happened to IC2 power, because the value of IC2 power is tied to the built-in storage blocks and transformers.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
An interesting point. If I think about it, that would have happened to BC power, but probably wouldn't have happened to IC2 power, because the value of IC2 power is tied to the built-in storage blocks and transformers.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it will happen to every energy form as long as it is popular enough.
If it was ic2 we would have the same thing as mods would rise with machines that won't explode.