Creeper repo availability and download speeds

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
This is feedback in part, and a complaint in part! :)

So, I wanted to update to latest monster modpack 1.1.1. I did the usual point and click to accept the latest modpack release, sometime at 1:00 PM in the afternoon. At 6 PM, the launcher started the MC client(!!?). Basically that amounts to taking 5 hours for a 168 MB download! What?!? Then I closed the client/launcher and restarted the monster pack again.
When I clicked on the monster pack, I was told my version is 1.1.0, and if I wanted to update to 1.1.1. So what exactly happened in the last 5 hours?! Several unprintable oaths later, I decided to download the server pack with the help of download managers and manually update to the latest version (I knows some hax0rz!).

to achieve this, I supplied the miami1 repo to Downthemall manager at ~6:30PM first, and went out on an errand. Returned at 7:45PM to find that the download had timed out after 10%! (Oaths later) I resumed the download and for safety measures, I supplied the atlanta1 repo URL (from my memory!) as an extra mirror.

I checked back the download status at ~9:20PM, only to find out that the download was stalled again because both repos had the same "timed out" errors! blaaargwaaargfflflfl

Next up, I supplied the losangeles1 repo (again, from memory!), and the download is now limping along at 85% using the losangeles1 repo at the moment.

My server proximities are closer to Europe, but somehow only the US mirrors are coming up everytime I specify a download. I have explicitly mentioned Maidenhead/Nottingham as my preference in my server location options, yet it is one of the above three US repos that gets provided to me. On top of it, the speeds are slow, the connections are erratic and as I explained it is taking nearly 3 to 5 hours to download ~170MB! To add insult to injury, in the first case, after 5 hours, the launcher told me we were back at square one!

Not feeling happy, team. Please do something.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
You think Creeperhost is bad for download speeds, just wait until the move to Curse. I don't know the bandwidth requirements or funds available but the FTB team should really consider using their own servers spread throughout the world rather than a handful of Creeperhost servers.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
You think Creeperhost is bad for download speeds, just wait until the move to Curse. I don't know the bandwidth requirements or funds available but the FTB team should really consider using their own servers spread throughout the world rather than a handful of Creeperhost servers.

:sad panda: face :(

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
I have 60,25 mbs and am always very sad when things take more than a few seconds because of the hosting company. Move along, nothing to see here..

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Update on repo availability:

1. Updated to the version launcher - correctly accessed the maidenhead server as per my setting. whhooosh, and we were done updating :)
  2. Updated the unstable 1.7 modpack. The download speeds were much much better than they were a few days ago when I was whingeing. Whooosh - Pack updated itself and we were done. :)

Creeper hosting, and FTB team. Thank you for the update to the servers :)

:well-fed panda: face :)