Creating the perfect mining world in mystcraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Is there some combination of mystcraft symbols, that will make a good mining world? I would really like to include as many dense ore symbols as possible without the world spontaneously disappearing in about 5 seconds due to decay. However, i'm not sure how many I can include, and I don't want to test it incase the world suddenly collapses beneath my feet, I die and then i'm stuck forever.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Even one Dense Ores can lead to that. You're not going to avoid instability while using Dense Ores unless you get lucky with what instabilities you get (all surface effects) and make it a cave world.

KriiEiter

Jul 29, 2019
Are you trying to get as many cycles out of it before it collapses, or one that is stable forever? Because any dense ore symbol will make it automatically unstable.

-Edit- Ninja'd :p

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
my suggestion, don't use dense ores. dense ores make things just too easy, and with dense ores you will always get instability, so you'll have to babysit your mining setup to make sure it doesn't get destroyed.
but if you really want dense ores,you could try turning the instability off

for me a perfect mining world is a flat, one mushroom biome world with eternal day.
because it's flat you don't need to remove any blocks to set your things up, by using a mushroom biome no enemy mobs can spawn, and by using a 1 biome symbol, no other biomes spawn. and by using eternal day you can power your mining setups with solar power if you want.

KriiEiter

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer a Single Biome, Desert (no passive mob spawns to hog CPU power), Flat, Strongholds (because you can get random chest drops occasionally), Eternal Day.

You can stack quite a few stronghold symbols without getting any instability.

Reactions: justjort

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Well, as long as I don't get anything that will destroy the world (decay, meteors etc) I can live with it. Or rather, my quarry can.

Gimpanse

Jul 29, 2019
What I did:

1. Create a descriptive book with the following features:
    1. Single Biome
    2. Mushroom Island
    3. Bright
    4. Normal Fog/Normal Sky
    5. Flat
    6. Eternal Day
    7. No Weather
    8. 2xDense Ores (or more)
    9. Charged
    10. Meteors
    11. Scorched Surface
  2. Get a linking book for the overworld (if possible with the "following" attribute)
  3. Get an empty book
  4. Visit the world
  5. If you have mining fatigue or spontaneous explosions, get back to the overworld and delete the descriptive book, and start at 1. again
  6. Otherwise immediately dig down and place a block above you. This should stop the scorched surface from hurting you and also stop the hunger effect if it's there.
  7. Blindness and Weakness or even hunger don't really matter
  8. Meteors and most likely some form of decay will slowly start to eat away at the age, but for quickly strip mining valuable ores, you should have enough time, since meteors start at the top level (which is Z 127 for flat terrain).
  9. So dig down to Level 10-16 (whatever you prefer for diamond mining) and create a small room. If you feel safer, you could bring some obsidian with you to create a small room that does NOT touch any of the surrounding blocks (to counteract some of the decay that might happen). I don't know if meteors can punch through obsidian though, so you shouldn't get too comfortable.
  10. Once you are at your desired mining level, use the empty book you brought with you (step 3) to create a new linking book there. You can now travel between the overworld and your mining spot to dump ore and such.
  11. Start mining as fast as you can. Once the world decays too much, leave it and destroy the linking book that leads there and start again from step 1.
For mining, I recommend something fast, i.e. a mining laser or wand of excavation, although diamond drills also give good results. I managed to get 3 stacks of diamonds and an inventory full of ores without returning to the overworld. This should also net you level 30+ since you get a ton of coal/diamonds/redstone that drop XP.
What's your opinion on this setup? Could this be improved?
I read somewhere that it's possible to copy/paste descriptive books to remove some of the instability, but I never found out how.
bye
Gimpanse

Reactions: justjort

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
My "perfect" setup :
Single biome extreme hills
Dense ores (only 1 is good)
Cave world
Caves
Ravines
Eternal night ( more creeps above, less creeps below )
Bright ( no torches )
Charged
Meteors
other bad stuff you have

whit these things i was able to create a dense world without any kind of decay!!!
the cave world + extreme hills combo made meteors and all exposed to sky bad efects useless against me, and the mining fatigue is not a problem wen you rock either advanced diamond drill or efficiency IV/V diamond pickaxe.
I was able to get 4 stacks of diamond ore and half a stack of iridium ore (silk touch is great for these rare ores).

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
Just keep moving ! :)
it took 2 hours on the same place for the meteors to reach Y 64

Gimpanse

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah it definetly takes a while. And its more exciting to hear the explosions come closer as you are mining ;-)

Are cave worlds really that much better? I don't have any means of flying ingame so I am not so sure that they are really better for strip mining. I don't really know how they affect the world gen to be honest.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
If you lucky with the instability (no explosions/decay blocks- meteors are ok), you should be able to build a frame bore and get it moving fast enough to avoid any main issues.
(I'm not sure if crumbling effects frames, but mining fatigue might be an issue if you miss place a block).

Alternately create a stable age, then you'll have time to build a much larger mining contraption. (thaumcraft brain in jars to collect the XP too)

Generally single biome, mushroom island, flat.

If you go for a non- mushroom biome, make it eternal night so there's less spawns underground.

If you're going for meteors, eternal night with redwood/fir tree biomes (more stuff for the meteors to hit)

Edit for Gimpanse ^^

Cave worlds are better - lower water table and a lot of exposed ores. bring a jetpack.
-Unless you have meteors, when a solid world will give more protection.

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
Cave worlds are the best ones to find iridium in my opinion, and make sure you put a couple of ravines marks, those will give you lot's of diamonds, don't forget that some ores are biome exclusive that is why I generally go for extreme hills or forest ( for lot's of bauxite ).

Gimpanse

Jul 29, 2019
Ah I forgot about the jetpack... Gotta build one soon ;-) It's really sad that Equivalent Exchange is no more (I don't really consider EE3 to be a continuation. No red matter, no rings, no destruction catalyst. It's just a new/separate mod in my opinion...) or I would have a ring of flying by now.

Ah I disabled GregTech or whatever causes Iridium/Bauxite to spawn in the world because I really dislike the more expensive recipes for Tier1 of IC². Maybe I'll play with it enabled in the future, since the advanced GregTech gadgets look really interesting.

ECrownofFire

Jul 29, 2019
I would use specific biomes depending on what I need (Extreme Hills for emeralds, Plains/Forests/Meadows for bauxite, etc). I really don't like Dense Ores because Decay moves too quickly for my tastes. I think that it's better to get a stable age I can mine forever than to create a new one. Too much time setting up an entire system is time I could better spend doing stuff with the things I mine.

If I could, I would like a Dense Ores age that doesn't have Decay or Spontaneous Explosions. Meteors I'm not sure about, that depends on if I can use some high blast resistance block (Reinforced Stone?) to stop them. Charged and Scorched Surface I don't really care about, because I can just move underground.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
I have not messed with dense ores yet.. But can't you build a base in the sky, have the base inside it and other then maybe losing the Quarry and some pipes... The base should stay intact and not get destroyed.. Or did that change in an update?

I mean losing a quarry is a big deal.. But I would think dense ores would pay for it 100 fold.

ECrownofFire

Jul 29, 2019
I have not messed with dense ores yet.. But can't you build a base in the sky, have the base inside it and other then maybe losing the Quarry and some pipes... The base should stay intact and not get destroyed.. Or did that change in an update?

I mean losing a quarry is a big deal.. But I would think dense ores would pay for it 100 fold.

Depends on how far down you get. A quarry costs 11 diamonds, which you're VERY unlikely to be able to get in time.

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
Like i said in my post, by choosing one dense ores and a bunch of bad effects i was a ble to create a world whit no form of decay at all, that might be just a lucky low chance but it is worth a shot...

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on how far down you get. A quarry costs 11 diamonds, which you're VERY unlikely to be able to get in time.

Its that fast? WOW..

Anyway what about setting the quarry in the sky.. All you would need is basically 4 block in the sky not touching the ground.. 3 markers in the corners on 3 of the blocks.. and the fourth block next to the marker block with a quarry on it.

Reactions: mattyboy12

Gimpanse

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think a quarry is viable in an instable world. And I also think you are unable to get an age with dense ores that doesn't have either meteors, decay or erosion. All three will eventually eat up the entire world making your quarries moot.

And it doesn't really matter. If you need valuable resources fast (diamonds, gold ore, lapis, redstone, red power gems, etc.) and don't have GregTech (I don't know how it interacts here...), multiple dense ores are fine. Just make it a fire-and-forget world. You can get good enough mining equpiment easy enough to get several stacks of diamonds in less than 30 minutes in such a world. By that point, the decay probably got to the lower levels of the world and you can scrap it.

For automated mining, I would use a simple flat world biome with 64x64 quarries. But I am not sure this is optimal.
It may be better to use quarries on a cave world (on the top layer covering it). They *should* skip through the vacant space, only picking up the valuables. Quarries in a normal flat world pick up tons of cobblestone and dirt before they get to anything worthwile... Any thoughts on that? How could you further optimize quarries in a Mystcraft age and how the hell do you reliably power them?