Creating new Texture Packs from existing ones?

Tayu

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to use a texture pack that I really really like, for all the items that are in minecraft by default? And have it just use the FTB textures for anything that wasn't included in minecraft?

I'd really like to use Ovo's Rustic texture pack, but it was just for regular minecraft. Is there a way to basically use it for all the regular stuff (dirt, cobblestone, gravel, etc) but have all the "new" items be whatever they currently appear as? (pipes, generators, etc)

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
that's how resource packs work, if there's not textures for an item it'll use the vanilla texture

Tayu

Jul 29, 2019
that's how resource packs work, if there's not textures for an item it'll use the vanilla texture
How exactly do you set this up? I've tried with lots of texture packs, and they don't seem to do that, or even edit anything..

Tayu

Jul 29, 2019
Note, that I'm trying to do this for Unleashed. Which doesn't have a "resource pack" on the option window. It only has "Texture Pack" button

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Resource packs and Texture packs are two different concepts now in minecraft.

What it sounds like is you are trying to use a resource pack for a texture pack and that is why it is not working. You did not mention the version of minecraft you are playing, but it seems you are using a 1.6 resource pack in a 1.5 texture pack...this won't work.

You need to make sure the textures you are using are made specifically for the version of minecraft you are playing for them to work correctly.

Tayu

Jul 29, 2019
You're missing the entire point. I know why it's not working. It's FTB Unleashed 1.5.2. It can't take resource packs.

I want to know how I could take an existing texture pack (or resource pack) and modify it to work for FTB. Basically having the textures for all the vanilla minecraft items, and the default for all the added FTB items.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
if it is a texture pack made for 1.5 then it should already be set up folder structure wise, same with 1.6 resource packs. just drop it into the textures directory. if the textures are not loading when you select the pack, then the pack maker did set it up right. you can also use a program like 7zip to look inside a mods jar file at the directory structure to verify where the textures should go

If you were looking for a simple answer, there is not one if the pack does not work, there's a lot of work involved to do it after the fact.

A good base for the structure would be to grab one of the established packs like soartex or bdcraft and look how theirs is setup and just replace any textures you want in there.

Tayu

Jul 29, 2019
I tried using a base to get it to work, and it partially worked. But a lot of the textures remained from the base I used (which was some Simple Texture thing). So it was a bit odd. Stone Brick remained unfixed while Stone Brick Stairs was updated, etc. So I don't know why it didn't ALL convert..