Cotton Farming

FaTal Cubez

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but here goes. Anyways, I need an automatic cotton farm. That's fast. Alright, so this is what I have so far. I tried using a harvester with a fertilizer that's about 15x15. It's very fast, but it seems too hard to support considering the power input and the amount of fertilizer it takes. So, I resorted to using Turtles to place bonemeal on a 3x3 grid of cotton seeds and have a harvester with no upgrades to clean up the mess.

Here's the issue. Cotton seeds have a really annoying property about them. When you bonemeal them, you either get the plant that has white speckles on it, or you get one with pink seeds on it. If you get the one with pink seeds, you can no longer bonemeal it and have to wait for it to grow instead. Is there a workaround? Some way to detect if the plant has the pink seeds and mine it out and replace the seeds or whatever (through turtles).

If anyone has any other suggestions for a string farm (has to be fast and fully automatic), then I will gladly listen. Thanks in advance! :)

EDIT: I am using Direwolf20 Modpack version 1.6.?

-Fatal Cubez

Last edited:

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think there's a faster way of harvesting cotton. If you need string why not just get a few sheep and set up an mfr harvester. 4 sheep in this setup can fill a standard barrel in less than an hour. Pulverize the wool and get the string.

FaTal Cubez

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think there's a faster way of harvesting cotton. If you need string why not just get a few sheep and set up an mfr harvester. 4 sheep in this setup can fill a standard barrel in less than an hour. Pulverize the wool and get the string.
Thank you for the reply! I wasn't aware that sheep could get their wool harvested in that manner, I will definitely check that out! :D

Reactions: RedBoss

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
DW20`s pack still(insert IC2 is dead joke here) has IC2. so you can get loads LOADS of fertilizer for Fertilizer by just recycling cobble.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Note for others, the FTB Team have disabled the option to pulverize Wool in order to get String in FTB Monster.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Note for others, the FTB Team have disabled the option to pulverize Wool in order to get String in FTB Monster.
Think that was done to avoid the dye "exploit". You can still Macerate the wool into 2x strings however.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Diamond dolly a spider spawner. You can find some
In dungeon (duh)
Roguelike dungeon (duh)
Mineshaft (duh)
Under some greatwood trees with some string thingy i frorgot the name (kinda duh)

Did you try using blood magic's ritual on it? (Cant remember if BM is in dw or not...)

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Think that was done to avoid the dye "exploit". You can still Macerate the wool into 2x strings however.
i don't think it was about dyes per say, but it probably was because of bonemeal/ink sac/cocoa beans exploit. which isn't the smartest way to go about it.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
i don't think it was about dyes per say, but it probably was because of bonemeal/ink sac/cocoa beans exploit. which isn't the smartest way to go about it.
Pulverizing white wool for bonemeal was a bit of an issue, but why is Ink and Cocoa bad? Ink is a pain in the rear to hunt down and Cocoa is really easy to farm.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Pulverizing white wool for bonemeal was a bit of an issue, but why is Ink and Cocoa bad? Ink is a pain in the rear to hunt down and Cocoa is really easy to farm.

lapis was also a problem, if you've installer tinker's construct aswell
I don't mind that they removed the chance of getting dyes when pulverizing wool, but I do mind that they removed the option to pulverize wool for string
they did bring it back, but I think you now only get 2 string when pulverizing wool instead of 4...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah by dye I sort of meant all 16 of them, not just the ones named "dye". Ofc it becomes a huge issue that you can use one single item per sheep and then shear them for all eternity for copies of that item.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah by dye I sort of meant all 16 of them, not just the ones named "dye". Ofc it becomes a huge issue that you can use one single item per sheep and then shear them for all eternity for copies of that item.

but they keep dye trees
to hell logic

Reactions: RedBoss and rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
but they keep dye trees
to hell logic
Heh indeed. But might be because it was easier to spot/more wellknown that dyetrees would cause a balance issue and people could then choose to disable it. But the pulverize thing is a bit more hidden and few people choose to disable TE.