Complete Advanced Genetics Guide - Becoming Supernatural

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
HDyVSYm.png

"Become Supernatural, why don't you?"
Prefer to read on the official wiki? See the guide there: http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/Getting_Started_(Advanced_Genetics)

Key:
Key Word/s = Blue
Important = Orange

Last Updated: 22/05/14
Will be updated (hopefully) soon.

Contents:
Introduction
Why use this mod?
The Basic - "How it Works"
Notes
Complete Gene List
Walkthrough
Links
FAQ

Why use this mod?
Advanced Genetics is one of the best mods I know, it combines real life with Minecraft, and we all know that's good!
This mod takes Steve and pushes him to the limits. Want to fly for complete free; no jetpacks that need charging required. Well, you can do that with this mod.
Want to teleport or eat grass? Add extra hearts or take no fall damage, Advanced Genetics covers it all!

Now, you might be thinking: "I've got my jetpack though! Why bother with anything else?"
But doesn't that jetpack require power? And does it not take up an armor slot in your inventory? Imagine a world without jetpacks, where you could fly for absolute free!

This mod really lets the players stretch to the limits, want to fly, teleport, throw random potions for free or even eat grass off of the ground, then you've come to the right place! This mod is perfect for anyone progressing through their survival world, no matter what stage you are at, stone pickaxe or diamond pickaxe! Advanced Genetics can help you out!

I would absolutely recommend this mod for any modpack.

"Become Supernatural, why don't you?"

Introduction

Welcome to the "Complete Advanced Genetics Guide", a detailed, long and complicated guide to the whole of Advanced Genetics. A brilliant mod created by ObsiLP!

I shall be covering everything from A to Z on Advanced Genetics, please read carefully to ensure you understand.
Without further ado, please read on! :)

The Basic - “How it Works”

Advanced Genetics is a mod created by ObsiLP focused on transferring genes into your own player body to make them more “supernatural”. It's all about dedication, time and effort, all of which is needed to learn this mod.
I would definitely recommend it, no matter what stage you are at in your world, this mod fits in anywhere!
Advanced Genetics is quite close to real life, but with more of a "fictional" aspect to it.

Below is how it works in a basic description:

1. The player must collect Skin Scales from the entity they desire the ability from (list of abilities further down). This requires using a Scraper (*oooooh*), this item pretty much does what it sounds like, it scrapes.
The scraper only has one use: Scraping Skin Scales off of other entities!

2. The player must then complete a long, long process of changing Skin Scales to Cells, then to Encrypted Helixes, then to Helixes and so on...
This process is usually quite slow, and the machine used to convert each item eat away at the fuel you give them, so be warned!

3. The player must then complete a special Gene that contains a certain ability within it, once completed, they can combine it with a Syringe of their own blood. Then finally centrifuge it!

4. The player will stab the Syringe that contains the ability into themselves, giving themself the desired ability. This can be the ability to fly, teleport, throw potions or even eat grass! This mod truly brings in some wacky and fun abilities available to the player.

Notes

- The abbreviation for Advanced Genetics should be “Adv Genetics”, this has been used commonly and should be the correct abbreviation.

- Advanced Genetics is all about jabbing, transforming, processing and blacking out; so please look away if you’re squeamish.

- This guide should pretty much cover nearly everything, please comment below if there’s something you think I should add/remove/edit.

- There are no crafting recipes shown in this post, please use NEI to find them.

- Every machine in this mod requires power, and eats it up quickly; I suggest using a Steam Dynamo with Conduits to power.

- If and when the player dies with their abilities they shall lose them, this can be prevented.
(Read further to find out how)

- Advanced Genetics is incompatible with Special Mobs.

Complete Gene List

All abilities are obtained by scraping Skin Scales, processing them and then combining them with your DNA via a Syringe.
Below is the complete list of possible abilities with their official names, and a reasonably long description outlining the effects.

No-Fall (Chicken) - You’ll take no fall damage just like a chicken would, no need to hold shift anymore!

Infinite Milk (Cow) - Other players can milk you with a bucket, good for parties!

Speed (Ocelot) - You can run faster just like an ocelot.

Avoid Creepers (Ocelot) - Creepers are scared of you and flee from you if you become too close.

Wooly (Sheep) - Other players can shear you for wool!

Eat Grass (Sheep) - You can eat grass instead of anything else, no need for farms anymore!

Climb (Spider) - You can climb walls just like a spider!

Jump (Horse) - You can jump higher like a horse!

Water Breather (Squid) - You can breathe underwater infinitely! How useful!

Fly (Bat) - You can fly just like if you were in Creative mode! All controls are completely the same as flying if in Creative mode. This can be considered cheaty as it requires no power.

Produce Stew (Mooshroom) - Other players can obtain stew from you with a bowl! Nice!

Teleporter (Enderman) - You can teleport yourself to where you’re looking by pressing “H”!

Save Your Inventory (Enderman) - When you die,your entire inventory is put into a Death Ender Chest. You can retrieve these items upon respawning.

Swim In Lava (Zombie Pigman) - You can swim in lava! You will take no damage at all.

Shoot Fireballs (Blaze) - You can shoot basic fireballs! (That do not destroy blocks)

Explode Yourself (Creeper) - Create a Creeper hissing sound and expand as if you were about to explode. Press "U" to use.
Warning: You will explode if you press "U" 8 times and this will cause you to die.

Destroy Blocks With Fireballs (Ghast) - You can shoot advanced fireballs that destroy blocks with a resistance lower than 20.17!

More Hearts (Iron Golem) - Increase your heart capacity by 5 hearts! Which can be very useful especially in battle.

Throw Potions (Witch) - Throw random potions where you’re facing by pressing “P”! NOTE: These are actually RANDOM, so be careful.

Withers Hit (Wither) - The entity you hit is given the “wither” effect the actual Wither can give hit the player with.

Ender Health (Enderman) - Craft a “Health Crystal” and store it in your inventory, it will take damage instead of you! If the Health Crystal is placed within 20 blocks of the player, he/she will be healed.

Infinity (Skeleton) - Shoot with the Genetic Bow infinitely without any arrows at all! NOTE: The Genetic Bow does have limited durability.

Slimy (Slime) - Upon death, you drop Slime Balls! COOL!

Resistance (Zombie) - You are given the resistance effect! This makes you harder to kill.

Walkthrough

Get Scraping!

First, we’ll need a “Scraper”, a wonderful tool capable of (you guessed it!) “scraping” Skin Scales off of animals/monsters. To use, simply right-click animals/monsters when near and they will drop Skin Scales onto the ground. Scraping a entity does actually hurt them so be careful how much you scrape specific entities such as bats or chickens due to their low amount of health.

If your Scraper breaks due to its durability running out, craft another one!
I would recommend crafting 3+, you will need a lot of Skin Scales!

Now pick up all these Skin Scales obtained from your chosen animal. Note that they do not stack! So your inventory will become full very quickly.
I recommend take a Golden Bag of Holding or some sort of backpack to contain all the Skin Scales you will be collecting. And I would like to mention that you will be collecting a lot!

NOTE: You must obtain at least 20-ish Skin Scales from the animal you wish to obtain the ability from, and a few more from random entities! I.e. Chicken Skin Scales are used for a gene that prevents fall damage, Endermen Skin Scales are used for a gene that lets you teleport etc.

Once you’ve got your 20-ish Skin Scales from your chosen animal and a few more from any other entity, it’s time to craft a DNA Analyzer!

Place your Skin Scales in the DNA Analyzer (will require power, like every other machine in the mod, I suggest using a Steam Dynamo with a stack of coal at the least!) and it shall slowly turn them into "Cells" for the animal the Skin Scales came from. These Cells are used for the Basic DNA Dictionary (this shall be used A LOT in the next few recipes)

You will also find that you receive “Organic Drops”, these are the waste the DNA Analyzer produces when converting a Skin Scale to a Cell. Hold onto these and store them in a safe place, they might be extremely useful later on!

From this point on, it is mostly about putting things in machines and waiting, but keep going and I know you'll be pleased with your new abilities and the end.

The Machine Process

Now it's time to craft a DNA Extractor to place those Cells in! As always, it will require power to run!

It shall immediately begin extracting the Cells into Encrypted Helixes.
After the Extractor has finished its slow process of encrypting the cell, you will receive an “Encrypted Helix”. ("oooohhhh!")

Craft a DNA Decrypter and place the the Encrypted Helix in it, where it is decrypted into a "Helix" and shall reveal any traits it has, i.e. Such as “flying” or “teleportation” genes. Cool right?!

Craft a DNA Splitter, place the Helix in it, here you can isolate which trait you want, if you only get the option of “Basic Gene”, just click that. It's better than nothing. (You might get lucky next time!)

Though if you manage to get a special trait on the Helix, make sure you choose that trait! It’s very rare to get anything other than a “Basic Gene”!

Now, if you were lucky enough to receive a non-basic gene (AKA: A gene with an ability)
then craft a DNA Breeder and place it in the right slot of the DNA Breeder, this will then display how much material it requires to create a completed gene that contains your desired ability.

To progress and create your completed Gene, you must add more genes to it. Genes of the same type will add 2, while a Basic Gene will only add 1.

Jabbing Yourself

Congratulations if you’ve reached this far! Well done if you've just skimmed through this post.

Anyway, the time has come to create the most important item we’re going to need...the “Syringe”! (Dun, dun, dun...!)

Once a Syringe has been acquired, you must jab yourself with it by holding right-click until the animation is complete, then releasing to quickly jab yourself. This should give you a blackout for a few seconds, but the Syringe will now be filled with a sample of your own blood. And you will see that the item appears filled rather than empty.

Craft a Centrifuge, and place your Syringe with the sample of your blood in it, let it Centrifuge it using the fuel you give it.
Finally, take out the Centrifuged Syringe and move onto the next step.

Combining the Syringe and the Completed Gene

To proceed your Gene must be fully complete, you won’t be able to continue unless you do so.

Ready? OK! Read on!

Craft a DNA Combiner and place the Completed Gene with the desired ability in the left slot and the centrifuged Syringe with a sample of your blood in the right slot. It shall then instantly start combining the two and will eat at your fuel!

Once they have been combined (after another slow process), you now are left with a Syringe combined with your gene. Centrifuge the Syringe once again and take out the output.

One last thing!

Need an Injection?

You have been brave to come this far. It must have been hard scraping Skin Scales and slowly placing different items into machines. I can't imagine how you did it, but you did.
Your reward is so close.
It isn't far now, don't give up!
Keep going!

Only one last objective must be completed:

You must inject yourself. DO IT NOW! NOW I TELL YOU! NOW!
Hold right click just like you would to take a sample of your blood, let the animation complete and let go.

*Nausea shall occur for a few seconds to the player*

And there you go! You now have the trait of the entity you chose! Look at the Complete Gene List to find out how to use it.
And remember, with great power comes great responsibility.

WARNING: DYING WILL CAUSE YOU TO LOSE ALL YOUR ABILITIES! READ ON A BIT FURTHER TO FIND OUT HOW TO CREATE BACKUPS!

What’s that I hear you say!? You want another ability!? Alright then!?

You’ll have to complete the whole process AGAIN but with a different entity’s Skin Scales to obtain a different ability. Look at the Complete Gene List to find out about other abilities the player can obtain.

Other Machines + Items

Auto-Scraper

This clever machine can be used to automatically collect Skin Scales from entities, it (like every machine it needs power to run!)

Microscope

This Microscope can slowly analyze Syringes that contain a gene and have been centrifuged.
You can then read it by selecting the different genes shown in the GUI.

The Microscope requires no power.

Combustion Generator

This generator produces power for the machines in this mod, just place some coal in it and place down machine on all of its sides and it will automatically share the power it’s generating from the fuel.

This does not have to be used to power the Adv Genetics machines, IC2’s EU or TE’s RF can be used instead.

Death Enderchest

This Enderchest has a unique abiltiy to store your inventory when you die, but you must have the “Save Your Inventory” gene within you for it to work.

To use, simply craft it, place it down in the world and right-click it. The next time you die your whole inventory will go in in there and can be retrieved!

To break, you must use the Crescent Hammer.

DNA Remover

This is key to removing any genes from your player if he/she wishes to do so.

Read about how to use it in the “Removing Genes” section.

DNA Insulator

When provided with power this machine will convert a Helix or Cell into an Insulated Helix or Insulated Cell.

The Insulated Helix can then be placed in the DNA Cloner

DNA Cloner

This machine will utilize a Insulated Helix to spawn a copy of the mob the Helix was made from. You can modify the mob's genes by placing a Syringe with the genes you choose in the upper slot of the interface.

Can Crash Your Game.

Basic DNA Dictionary

This is is used in many crafting recipes for Advanced Genetics' machines, and requires Cells in its crafting recipe.

DNA Auto Splitter

This is a automated version of the DNA Splitter. It'll produce Basic Genes only. It of course (as like every other machine) requires power to run.

Genetic Bow

If the player has the “Infinity” ability, this bow will not require any arrows to fire.
This is very useful for archer players, and will benefit them greatly.
Please note that the Genetic Bow does have a durability and is not completely infinite due to this.

Heal Crystal

Similar to the crystals that appear in the End when battling the Ender Dragon, the Heal Crystal will heal the player when in a short range distance. This distance is increased to 20 blocks away when the player has the "Ender Health" gene within them.

If carried in your inventory, it shall take damage instead of you, which is pretty useful along with the "More Hearts" ability!

Removing Genes

What’s the I hear you say?! You don’t want these/this gene/s anymore!? Alright then.

So, firstly, we need to craft a DNA Transmutator, a machine that changes a completed Gene into an "Anti-Gene". The name is pretty self-explanatory as to what it does.

So you’ll have to make your ability all over again, getting the Skin Scales, processing every item and completing the actual gene. This should again take a fairly long time, though it wouln't be fun it were easy, would it?

After you have completed the Gene in DNA Breeder (adding basic genes/ genes of the same type to complete it), you need to use a Syringe again and stab it into yourself by holding right click until the animation is complete and letting go.
This Syringe will now have a sample of your blood on it which you will see upon holding it.
Centrifuge the Syringe and that's that bit done.

Craft a DNA Transmutator and place the completed Gene in the right slot and you'll see on the left how many Organic Drops you need to make the Gene into an Anti-Gene.
Organic Drops are the waste of the DNA Analyzer, and you should have quite a few from earlier on actually make the Gene you put into yourself.

Once you have completed the Anti-Gene by inserting Organic Drops into the DNA Transmutator until it was complete, it's time to combine it with the centrifuged Syringe:

Craft a DNA Remover, place your Centrifuged Syringe in the slot on the right and your Anti-Gene to your desired ability to remove in the left slot. It will slowly (requiring power) combine the Anti-Gene into the Syringe.

Finally, centrifuge the Syringe filled with the Anti-Gene and jab yourself to remove that ability!
And there you go! You will no longer have that ability you removed!

NOTE: To remove another ability you must perform the whole process again but with a different Anti-Gene.

Player Death and How to Keep Backups!

Now, before you go off and kill yourself with those genes you have inside you (losing all abilities), make sure you keep a few backups. To make a backup, simply make inject yourself with as many genes (abilities) as you want, then craft another Syringe.

Jab yourself again, centrifuge it then store it away in a safe place, it can be used later to restore your lost genes (abilities).

NOTE: I recommend making a few of these and making at least another one every time you use one.

Links
Getting Started - Advanced Genetics (Official FTB Wiki):http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/Getting_Started_(Advanced_Genetics)

@Padfoote's amazing Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic
Advanced Genetics Official Mod Thread
Official Advanced Genetics Site
Official Advanced Genetics Wiki
Official Advanced Genetics Bug Tracker
Didn't find my guide useful? Want to watch a video by someone else instead, okay!

I died, why can't I do this/that?
When you die you lose all your abilities or to use the proper word: Genes.
Read further up to learn how to keep backups without having to start over again.

Can you add/remove/edit this/that?
Maybe, depends on the subject. Comment below with any mistakes or errors I made.

Genes like Wooly don't work!
If you injected it into yourself, you cannot shear yourself, ask another player to do it for you.
Though you can put genes on other entities.

Why can't I inject my Syringe?
Genes must be centrifuged before you can inject it.
If you combined it with a gene you must centrifuge it again.

Great guide!
Thanks! Please like and comment below with your opinion! :)

Thanks To:

The entire FTB Team!

@Padfoote for his Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic, which gave me the inspiration to create this guide!

Everyone who commented, liked or read this guide! :)

And most importantly: ObsiLP, for creating such a brilliant mod! :)

Thank you for reading, please post below on what you think and don't forget to like! :)

UPCOMING:
- Possible FAQ
- Spoilers...?
- More...?

Last edited:

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, this mod is cool, speaking from prior knowledge. I didn't know that you could make backups though, that's good.
EDIT: 'Avoid Creepers-Ocelot-You can run faster'? I think it means that creepers don't explode.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing left to do is add the recipes, and I'm too lazy to install Adv. Genetics to my test pack :p
I'm already struggling with crafting recipes on the wiki! :p
For now I'm going to get all the articles done with the recipes, then I might have a go at adding every recipe into the guide on the wiki.
I don't really want to take piccies of crafting recipes and upload them here.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Reactions: RealSketch