Compare your VPS host, value for money and specs

Francis Baster

Jul 29, 2019
Hey there, I am currently running a small 16 slot MindCrack server and wanted to see how my VPS host compared to some of the plans that you guys are using in terms of value for money and server specs. I am currently with Redstone host using their Diamond plan, and I will go over my experiences with them.

Customer service:
Terrible. My support tickets are always promptly answered but with some of the most useless information imaginable. Ever since I chose to get a fresh install of CentOS and set things up myself, they have refused to provide any technical support. I guess this may be the norm, but a few helpful pointers when I was getting started would still have been appreciated.

Uptime:
Very reliable. Have had no downtime that I am aware of caused by my VPS being down.

Hardware:
AMD Opteron 4174 HE @ 1954MHz
According to my OS 3657728 kB memory,
which includes 2248MB dedicated RAM and 1324MB burst RAM according to Redstone Host.

Uplink:
500GB Data cap.
According to Redstone host my uplink speed is 100MBit/s, but I have not checked this myself. If anyone knows a quick and easy way to check uplink speed it would be appreciated.

Storage:
40GB Hard disk

Price:
$26.95 USD per month.

Output of /proc/cpuinfo:
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 16
model : 8
model name : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4174 HE
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 1954.245
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 6
core id : 0
cpu cores : 6
apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc nonstop_tsc pni cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy altmovcr8 abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw
bogomips : 4600.33
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate [8]

processor : 1
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 16
model : 8
model name : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4174 HE
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 1954.245
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 6
core id : 1
cpu cores : 6
apicid : 1
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc nonstop_tsc pni cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy altmovcr8 abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw
bogomips : 4600.36
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate [8]

I would appreciate if you guys could share some of your experiences with other hosts, cheers.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Customer service:
Terrible. My support tickets are always promptly answered but with some of the most useless information imaginable. Ever since I chose to get a fresh install of CentOS and set things up myself, they have refused to provide any technical support. I guess this may be the norm, but a few helpful pointers when I was getting started would still have been appreciated.

Not answering your question, but just adding a comment on this. I have several years of technical support experience, and staff are usually only given (fairly limited) training on supported versions of software, and therefore are normally only allowed to give out advice/help/support with those. Usually there's a disclaimer somewhere in a customer's agreement, that if different software is used, support won't be available. It's for good reason, a company doesn't want to be held liable for a customer messing something up on incorrect advice given by a member of staff. Sometimes you will find someone who will help you out despite the rules, but it all depends on who you get when you talk to them, how your relationship is with them, and how busy the person is that day. Some support staff will read up about other versions of software, but not all will.

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
Uplink:
500GB Data cap.
According to Redstone host my uplink speed is 100MBit/s, but I have not checked this myself. If anyone knows a quick and easy way to check uplink speed it would be appreciated.

On unix systems ifconfig will display the interface configuration and the current link on it. It also allows you to adjust it but I recommend leaving it alone in hosting environments unless you -really- know what you're doing.

Francis Baster

Jul 29, 2019
Not answering your question, but just adding a comment on this. I have several years of technical support experience, and staff are usually only given (fairly limited) training on supported versions of software, and therefore are normally only allowed to give out advice/help/support with those. Usually there's a disclaimer somewhere in a customer's agreement, that if different software is used, support won't be available. It's for good reason, a company doesn't want to be held liable for a customer messing something up on incorrect advice given by a member of staff. Sometimes you will find someone who will help you out despite the rules, but it all depends on who you get when you talk to them, how your relationship is with them, and how busy the person is that day. Some support staff will read up about other versions of software, but not all will.

Yes I guess from their point of view they would be liable if any advice they gave me contributed to me mucking things up.