Chest Organisation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Overmorrow

Jul 29, 2019
Before I get too far into any world to get Applied Energistics or Logistics Pipes systems set up, I usually have a line of chests with signs on so I can organise them manually and find what I need. These are the chests I start off with, and what I keep in them.

When some start getting full I usually upgrade them with the Iron Chests mod, and sometimes split them into separate chests when the time comes.
  • Gems & Minerals - Any precious materials such as diamonds and redstone.
  • Metals & Ingots - Any processed metals that are ready to be used.
  • Unprocessed Ores - Any ores that I haven't processed yet.
  • Tools & Armour - Weapons, tools, armour, utilities like torches and saddles, and anything of the sort.
  • Food & Farming - Self explanatory.
    • Seeds & Saplings - Any seeds or saplings that can be planted easily.
    • Flowers - Botania and Biomes O Plenty add a lot of flowers, this helps to keep the chests spacious.
  • Mob Drops - Anything that mobs drop, such as spider eyes, string, and feathers.
  • Machines - Mechanical parts,
    • Components & Parts - Machine parts that can't be used on their own.
    • Pipes, Wires & Cables - Anything that transports energy, redstone, fluids, or items.
  • Magic - Anything magic related.
  • Misc Items - Flint, books, clay, sticks, and stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.
  • Misc Blocks - Cobblestone, fences, carpenter's blocks, anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
I do occasionally end up with some chests becoming full sooner than others (Gems & Minerals gets full of redstone, coal, and apatite, Misc Blocks with cobblestone and wood, etc.) and these end up either being condensed into blocks or moved to barrels.

How do you organise your chests?

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Barrels for coal, ingots, diamonds, redstone, wood, and cobble. The rest gets dumped into random chests because I'm too busy working on my next project to bother with sorting.

Reactions: Pyure

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Mostly like OP, but I also like to sort by mod. Chests for Thermal Expansion, MFR, Buildcraft+LP, etc.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I pretty much do the same. If I have anything automated, it normally ends up with a barrel on the output. Everything else is in labeled chests. I sometimes end up with a few misc. chests.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty much the same but I keep wood, saplings etc in it's own chest as well as coal and redstone.. also have mod chests, I tend to only set up an autosorting system quite late so has to be organised

Also separate out my ingots, copper and gold, iron and silver, tin, ferrous and aluminium each in chests

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I try to use TE StrongBoxes as soon as I can make them because I can easily move them. The first spot I select for a base is usually not permanent so it is handy if I can just carry everything I own with me. After that AE is a big priority for me as I really fail hard at organizing chests :)

eliandarkbrood

Jul 29, 2019
Well... i usually start off with a few disorganized chests... then a cheap sorting system with barrels until i get to AE. On my last Agrarian skies build i kept my barrels as storage for my AE system, and it worked wonders.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
I usually end up with a massive wall of barrels. Heck, now that I think about it, my next world I should just make my starter house out of barrels (instead of what I usually do, which is skip the starter house and just sleep as soon as it starts getting dark.) My current world I had about 100 different barrels, but now I've got an AE system set up, so I have 5 barrels of things constantly being created (stone, cobble, gravel, sand and glass) and 8 hopper barrels feeding 7 ore types (iron has 2) into my Mekanism 5X ore setup, along with 16 drives full of disks (lots of block storage cells) and a filing cabinet full of mana beans.

I tend to let tons of resources build up before I get around to setting up much automation (I've had an autonomous activator with an efficiency 5 fortune 3 magical crops unbreakable pick running for 15 hours or so now, and it still hasn't finished with my ores that can be fortuned), so I can't really rely on chests for long.

KurShedir

Jul 29, 2019
I usually start as soon as I can with extra utilities sorting pipes (especially mod sorting pipes) and a few barrels. Logistic pipes are more fun than this, but playing with low fps is not.

3nd3r w1gg1n

Jul 29, 2019
I just started a new world the other day and I now have 12 double chests, "Soaryn chest" style. It started out organized but that was days ago of random inventory dumps.

I am trying to go magic mod only this run to change things up, which is why I havent implemented something yet. Is there a magic based storage method? Idk thaumcraft, so golems are daunting to me.

Im on the tppi pack

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
My chest organization usually goes as follows. Plant, animal, wood, mundane blocks, fancy blocks, gems/dust, ingots, overflow. With the help of XU sorting pipes I can add a chest for magic and tech as well.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I just started a new world the other day and I now have 12 double chests, "Soaryn chest" style. It started out organized but that was days ago of random inventory dumps.

I am trying to go magic mod only this run to change things up, which is why I havent implemented something yet. Is there a magic based storage method? Idk thaumcraft, so golems are daunting to me.

Im on the tppi pack
Well, just organize like you usually would. I'm sure you had a "tech" chest, which you can replace with TC. In general TC isn't inventory intensive, since it uses ordinary items and isn't really made for mass/automated production, aside from alchemical stuff. But that is easily managed by barrels.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Barrels for cobble, dirt, sand and gravel
Double chest for geostrata, chisel and railcraft stone types plus sandstone.
Chest for TiCo casts (usually near the smeltery for obvious reasons)
Then double chests (upgrading to iron/gold/diamond as I acquire them) for:

-Metal ores and ingots
-Gems and other non-metal minerals
-Wood stuff
-Animal produce including mob drops plus seeds and crops
-Manufactured components and tools

That's fairly generalised but by the time these are overflowing i'm ready to start putting them into ME storage.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, in "vanilla" FTB, getting to AE can be done within the first few hours.

BnB is like playing hardmode vanilla, where the end game isn't diamond. I haven't built a machine yet...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Usually aim to set up my ME network before storage really gets a challenge. But in the very beginning:
Barrels for all the high quantity items. Itemducts winding behind them separated by microblock covers to form a long "chain". A dropoff chest for the itemducts to "sort" from. As long as it is a long chain it will try and deposit items in the first available barrel, so no Servos needed. Simple and cheap.

Chests for all items in small quantities. Updating and splitting them up as needed.