[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Or did you mean a likeness of monarch?

5fSd3aq.png

Reactions: Monarch_of_Gold

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
That is... acceptable. All of that, though the literal translation is a bit lost on us, even though she mentioned a concern that some might take it literally before the post was made. Your concern for your friend is touching.

- The Toastee Overlords

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I'm not certain whether I suffered more from chocolate eggs or lack of toast this past weekend.

Progress on the challenge:

The Clay Community stage went rapidly. Once all the clay was dug up using a template hut for all villagers sped development along.

The Shrine to Terrim was even built this time around.

I've moved on to the wood settlement stage and built up my own base and a couple of the key tools.

I'm excited to actually get on with some new builds now that wood isn't a problem.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Hey guys! I'm back! The Toastees aren't bad guys, just misguided is all. I explained that Minecraft is, in fact, a game and they seemed to understand. Unfortunately, their interactions did some damage to my post (as you saw), so I'll be taking some time to go back and fix that. In the interim, they're working with me to create a new system for deciding on your race, since I still feel like having a long list of traits is inadequate. What they've proposed is making trading cards for each race with specific attributes for each one. That will take a bit of a while, since we'll have to track down one of each to get a picture for the cards. But overall, they're nice guys, and I'm glad you've been introduced, cus they'll be staying for a while. :)

Toastees live in toasters, bread loaves, and slices of toast. Since you can't exactly make a house out of toast (as @Senseidragon so helpfully learned), they've suggested building toast and bread with wood, wool, clay, and concrete and maybe the toasters with stone and concrete. :D

I hope you all have fun interacting with this new race, and I hope you are all enjoying the challenge so far! Keep your eyes peeled, because new changes and additions are happening as we speak!

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Spring has sprung so I've been slow to get my updates out.

Here are the latest:

Getting our new tools and getting a bedroom in place. Also I play around with chickens and investigate the building right next to my home with all the noisy zombies and spiders in it.

The following two episodes I'm building the shrine to Logna. I find a couple useful blocks in my pack to help prevent mob spawns due to my self-imposed limitation against making torches for this run.

I move the farmer into a new house in the next episode. The farmer is the same as in the Dirt stage and will be transitioning to the head of the Agriculture guild.

Building onto my base a better storage facility.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Build updates continued:

Addressing a lack of time and wood through the use of chickens.

Now I have an idea of how I want to build but I might need some help breathing under water. So I go into a near-by rogue like dungeon hoping for some easy magical helmets.

Whew!

Spring/summer is a busy time for so I'm hoping to keep on pace with getting updates out for all of you. Cheers!

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Hey there! Finally got around to cleaning up the post! No new content yet, but I hope to change that in about a month or so. I'm planning to finish this class before dropping out for a while. I don't know how long, but school isn't working for me anymore, so it's time to quit. I have too many other things I want to work on.

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Huh. was not expecting Monarch to post before me today. I was expecting to be the only one, lol

in any event, I am trying not to post if I just do little edits here and there, but I think that what I've managed to do so far is a little bit more than "a little edit here or there" In fact, I'm basically on 4.3, Mining now. Even though I just realized I somehow didn't get around to updating Agriculture stuff in Iron Village or Gold City. *sigh* one more thing to do. I got distracted by ideas for the Mining Guild, and wanted to get them down (up?) before I forgot about them.

So, what have I done?'

NEW STUFF

Well, for one thing, I've gotten Dirt (Super basic), Wood, and Stone stages up to 4.2 (Agriculture) standards. Iron and Gold still need work.

Additionally, Stone finally has a Patron Deity (Petra).

Along with that, I've added a page for the Mining Guild, which has 2 different building types, Mine Heads and Ore Processing. this is all based on my overhaul of the Agricultural page, and some of my doodles on the Fortifications/Military page.

So, going forward, There will be 3 kinds of buildings (4 once the Nobility Update comes out): Basic, Advanced, and Expert [Professional]

• Basic is just some crap slapped together
  • Advanced can get a lot of work done, but requires some fancying up
  • Expert is where the shit gets real, and has extensive building requirements, along with (in most cases) a Gallery that shows off what the place works on. They also generally need a few Support folks as well
  • Professional will be coming with the Nobility update. Like the Nobles themselves, the build requirements will be flat out stupid, but will be able to do a LOT (while at the same time out-sizing some of the earlier stages with just 1 Professional Facility). Basically the Professional Buildings will sorta *be* 4.0 Outliers.
I'm not going to be writing out *every* building that needs to be built, but instead writing up templates for the different Guilds, and letting you fill in details (because I obviously can't be up to date on every single mod out there--I play stuff besides minecraft, and my computer can't even handle ~70 mods 1.10 very well, and 1.12 modded minecraft? Forget about it :( ).

I did take some inspiration from Mobius' last run, and have a standardized set of Mineshaft Supports, and their distances:

Supports: To keep the Mine from Collapsing
  • Not Required in Caverns or Ravines, only in shafts that you mine yourself.
  • The Distance between materials required is determined by the weakest material in your supports.
  • Planks/Fences: Every 8 Blocks
  • Logs: Supports every 16 Blocks
  • Stone (Cobble, Brick, etc [but not Smoothstone]): Every 32 Blocks
  • Metal Blocks: Every 32 Blocks
  • Diamond Blocks: Every 64 Blocks

And, lastly, a new page: World Migration

This is for people whose saves get lost, bugged out, or otherwise aren't played anymore. It comes with its own deity (Sanuj, mirror image of Janus), whose Temple is a list of requirements to jump you back into the Challenge, depending on where you were when you last played. It also comes with a list of some of the more difficult/time-consuming things to acquire, namely Genetics stuff.

It's got rules for porting over bees (Seasonals are 1:1 mostly), trees, Chickens, and some rules for starting a new challenge in a current (not originally a Challenge) world.

Along with that, the Religion page has seen some love, listing out current relationships (subject to change), and adding Petra and Sanuj to the list.

Basically, instead of a single Shrine, you have a Temple to Sanuj, with specific stages being Shrines within the Temple. The throughline are pillars (that should be built next to each other), 1x1x3 multiblocks that relate to stage. Clay/Dirt/Sand, Log/Plank/Charcoal, Brick/Smoothstone/Cobble, etc. And with the exception of the Dirt Stage, all the Shrines all have relatively minor builds (though I may add Advanced/Expert options for all Deities later on down the road) in addition to their Stage's Pillar.

It's designed as a way to jump back in quickly if you don't want to totally restart (yeah, I know, a little late for Mobius, sorry. lol), but also be a fun little stage-by-stage side build for people playing normally.

GENERAL WHINGING ABOUT RANDOM THINGS

Once I finish 4.3, I'll probably pause, clean up the Population Guild sections by back-porting Basic/Advanced/Expert stuff to the Population Guild, and moving *most* of the WALL O TEXT in the Population Guild sections to its own page, where it can be linked/referrerd to from Stage-Specific pages, instead of being scattered across several different Stages.

After that, I expect things to go fairly quickly (well, quickly as I go, anyway), because for me the Population/Agriculture stuff were always the big hurdles. Well, Agriculture SO MUCH AGRICULTURE. And all of it special snowflakes. it's nuts. Vanilla is fairly balanced as far as number of Blocks/items for agriculture vs mining/exploration/etc, but when it comes to mods? lol

I love it, don't get me wrong. Just got a bit overwhelming there for a bit. Until I figured out how to simplify it this go round, lol

UNDERGROUND BIOMES

Also, might I just say that I have zero regrets adding Underground Biomes Constructs to my latest 1.10 modpack. Nowhere near as much lag as I remember with the what, ~1.2/1.6.4/17.2 version (don't remember which) I used to play when it was just called Underground Biomes. Much more optimized. Tons of variety, and it can come with a strata of surface coal (1 block=1/8th a vanilla coal, but still) Just...beautiful.

All stone comes in all Vanilla Stone varieties, and can be converted to vanilla stone by throwing it in the crafting interface.

Last edited:

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
If anyone would like to help make some small towns to help show off the races in my challenge it'd be greatly appreciated! You'll be credited in the screenshots and may get your own trading card out of the deal!

Also - BB editor on MCForums seems to be broken. Any guesses why? The RT editor is able to parse BB so I was able to do what I needed but it's a pain for some things to not be able to get to the actual code.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Okay guys so I was thinking about setting up a skyblock pack (now that there's a mod for making skyblock maps and Ex Nihilo: Creatio) since I noticed that one of the map styles has you starting in the sky above the overworld and then working your way down. I also figured the plain ones would be a fun challenge since Creatio adds seedlings for all of the vanilla tree types. So then you would either start out as Angel or just be one of the other races that somehow found themselves trapped in the sky. It would need to have its own rules since it takes a while to have a platform big enough for even one house much less a city. Either way, I think allowing skyblock cities would look hella cool. I may use the initial stages in the questbook from the official Skyblock 3 pack as inspiration for the challenge guidelines. I'll probably have to set you up with different checkpoints to meet and get you to a certain point before allowing you to start building, unless you want to go the insane route and try to do the challenge from the beginning.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Okay so I totally misunderstood how that mod worked. Now I'm just trying to get worlds to generate. OTL Something is causing a weird hangup after terrain gen. Esc returns me to the main menu. It is not freezing or crashing.

Making modpacks is so much fun, guys.

[EDIT] Found the mod conflict! Cavern II and Ex Nihilo: Creatio create the issue. Both are fine with other mods, but as soon as you put the other mod in, you get the hangup. Nothing in the logs as it isn't a crash. For now I've let the mod authors know that their mods are conflicting in a way I can't trace. Wish I could post something more helpful than "something's happening with your mods," but I can't.

[EDIT 2] So I found the hiccup. Cavern is throwing an exception about an indexed string. Ex Nihilo isn't a fan and doesn't let the game load. No other mods force the game to stop, but Ex Nihilo is doing nothing wrong so for now I've sent my pastebin to the maker of Cavern and left it at that.

Last edited:

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
At this point *in time I'm warning you all not to play with Cavern until the exception throw is fixed. Ex Nihilo alerted me to the issue, but the exception is thrown no matter what you're playing with. Until the mod author responds and fixes the issue, I'm going to suggest finding other dimension mods to play with like The Beneath and The Betweenlands. Working on a sort of mega-pack to play around with to add some new mod recommendations to the list. I can, at least, highly recommend Ex Nihilo: Creatio for all your skyblock/limited survival needs, as the mod author is responsive and is the one that prompted me to go reading the latest log to find the issue.

Thanks guys and have fun!

Last edited:

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Here's a big update on my challenge progress:

Because I have a bit of restricted space my settlers needs to build about everywhere they can. In this case I started to build housing on the bridge by the farm.

In the next episode I finally find my first village. This allows for trading for the very precious Forestry apiary which we won't be building ourselves until the Iron village stage.

I finally brave the few buildings near to the settlement. After clearing one out I setup the administration building.

And next I wrap up the gate house with a little bit of paint.

I feel like I'm more on track with building now and can move forward into this challenge.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone!

In my settlement I decided to post a trimmed down version of the advancement requirements. I did note that I had some confusion regarding how the schools work and didn't seem to be required until after the wood settlement. Does anyone have anything definitive on that interpretation or am I reading the wiki weird?

Next I went and got some of the agricultural tasks out of the way namely getting all the vanilla seeds planted that I could find. I also ended up going out adventuring and found a village and some inventory pets in trees.

After all that I built the fisher's cottage. This one isn't too far from the main settlement but enough that it should be safe from encroachment for a while.

Also I finally *finally* got some horses. I don't know if it's a mod from the FTB Revelation pack or a vanilla change but the horses move much faster than I remember with a saddle on than without.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Hey guys! Wanted to come by and show another creative transformation I'm working on to show that I have *finally* discovered a use for ACACIA!

For those of you that haven't tried to build with it before, the main issue is that it's so... orange. To make matters worse, it isn't even a good orange. It's a real ruddy red-orange, which is really hard to build with and pair up with other colors. So, to finally figure out a use for it after 3 years of trying and later just deciding it's a worthless, useless source of fuel and sticks is quite something. This is only one house in a small village, but I hope the idea becomes clear. Funnily enough, though, it was actually seeing the large houses in the savannah villages that helped me out. Normally villages are quite ugly, but, in this case, the large houses actually looked -- dare I say -- passable.

Below are a few pictures of the house and the well beside it. No interior cus it's basically just acacia plank floors and a smooth sandstone ceiling. Trying for a more western feel here. Also, outside of the context of an old western village, acacia logs can work as a different texture for foundation if you're tired of using cobblestone. Pics in the spoiler! Also, this is in 1.12 because that's where my mods are, though this world is vanilla. Don't want to design with blocks I don't have.

iJlfsfi.jpg

The front. I did actually change the shape of the house (because I realized it was a weird mix between even and odd centers, so I made it all odd centers) this time and moved it. In this transformation I'm removing the tiny hut houses entirely because I just can't think of a good use for them beyond maybe an outhouse. Also - stained glass for once!

dYWgESz.png

Back left corner.

OIGrb6w.jpg

Back right corner and the well. Path blocks are still considered useless as far as I care and will be removed, probably replaced with a patchy gravel path.

So that should be about it! Real quick post this time!

See y'around!

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
So, I finally finished transforming that village and did a couple other structures around the world, too! Unfortunately, there are 50 screenshots covering the ordeal, so instead I've actually organized the album for once and provided captions! All you have to do is click the pic below to see it!

Thanks, guys!

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Okay, wow, it's definitely been way too long since I posted my updates!

Here are some of the unposted remnants of the Wooden Settlement development of Mobium. Did I ever mention the name of the settlement?

First storing the seeds. I really liked how this silo turned out. Paint is definitely worth using for a little extra pop in builds.

Next getting our trapper, Mabel, a house:

The breeding orchard, which is great if you want to go mad about bees and butterflies. I've spent several long hours just hunting butterflies out here.

Building out the south bridge with the Forester's House for Ankin.

Going through all of this makes me realize I didn't include Mabel trapper or the fisher in the Census. I'll have to get the books updated the next time I'm in game.

I'm short on time these days but I'll catch up over the next week or so with updates.

Cheers!

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
These updates are still from the wood stage.

Setting up the player (my) administration office and the Immigration office. I'm still using the wood and thatch roof look and I think it really works with my vision of the wood building stage.

Next up I am setting up some more bridge housing. I'm liking how this is looking, a lot more details and little splashes of colour make a difference.

For the last episode in the Wood settlement stage (Yay!) I decided to repurpose the existing administration building and put a little cubicalville in for the guild offices.

Up next Stone!

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Dear Yorick. I knew him well...

Ah finally! The Stone Hamlet.

As per usual we upgrade our tools in the first episode and start with our mining:

Next working on the draw bridge:

And the gate house:

I'm going for more of a medieval style castle this time around. The gate house is establishing the style for our personal residence. But damn I need more stone!

Time for a coffee break! Creating a coffee shop for our first patreon supporter Nama!

There's still more. Stay tuned! Keep building!