[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
A couple updates this week. I've started breeding up chickens like mad using the Hatchery, Chickens, and More Chickens mod. These are like Forestry bees or Agricraft. Just needed to find some.

In this second video I build a villa for the Town Hall administrator/info desk clerk.

Reactions: Senseidragon

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I think I've started getting engaged again with the challenge the inspiration has started to flow!

I'm adding a warehouse to the docks district and trying out the platforms mod. I hadn't tried this mod before but it makes railings and ramps much easier to make.

Next episode I started with trying to kill an ancient golem and ended up setting up a vault for all those special and secret items I've stumbled across that are just outside our reach, both technology and magic. I expect this vault will expand as we discover more things.

And lastly the city gains a Cartographer, a Cartographer's office plus Cartographer's Hill. I also touch on getting the village engineering department to level the land in the operations district and sketch out what it might look like to support the mass of dirt above.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
For the most recent set of progress I've been working on a MineColonies outlier:

Getting our first citizens and the Builder:

Forester, Fisher, and Farmer:

Miner and Housing:

I think MineColonies works well with the challenge. There is the ability to add custom buildings from within the game and so you can have dirt, clay, and wood only buildings at the beginning and work up from there.

Edit: Fixed the links in the spoilers. They're now videos again.

Last edited:

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Hey guys! I've been feeling some renewed vigor and have been messing around with mods and MineTweaker. Most recently, I put together a script that allows TFC and IndustrialCraft to work together more. I've also updated the mods list and am thinking about drawing up a new picture for the challenge banner, as my ability to draw houses has improved. Later tonight I'm going to begin working on the Magic and Tech sections of the challenge and maybe try to finish out the remaining sections of Core with one or two large builds. Any thoughts or suggestions and screenshots would be appreciated!

In other news, a few months ago (in March) I reclaimed my job and have been doing well. Not making a killing, but it pays the bills. I've also figured out a way to re-start school this fall (August 28th), so hopefully things will go my way this time.

TL;DR: Feeling better and want to finish writing the main challenge and start on the other branches. Also want to update the art. Life is picking up and everything is sorting itself out.

Thanks, guys!

[EDIT] Link to said script on the TerraFirmaCraft forum: http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/...cript-complete/?do=findComment&comment=126248

Last edited:

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I've finally finished up with the Minecolonies Outlier. I've pretty much tried everything with the current version of MineColonies and I think it works pretty well for the challenge out-of-the-box especially if you want to progress with a builder doing your buildings for you.

Here are the episodes from the Outlier:

Working with the baker and delivery person:

Getting guards:

Trying to get the outlier specialized for Cooking for Blockheads

Actually getting Cooking for Blockheads setup

Getting some diamonds and stumbling across cave crystals at the same time

If anyone else has played with MineColonies what do you think? Also is there a setting to permit you to have more than one colony? I'm stuck there as I'd want to use the mod to help build more outliers with different styles and technology levels but only on colony seems to be available. The only option seems to be removing ownership of a colony which could work temporarily.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
MineColonies doesn't have much to offer for way of multiple colonies, but workarounds I've seen are, as you suggest, disowning a settlement or configuring the settlement size to something ridiculously high, then moving the Town Hall block once your Town Hall building reaches the level you plan on leaving it (level 5, being the highest, and taking some time to accomplish).

If you disown your settlement, I'm not sure they will continue to be productive, especially if you don't have something supplying the colony with required tools. If anything goes sideways, you may not have the ability to make the needed adjustments, since you no longer have a claim to power.

The challenge with the single large colony approach is AI behavior. Builders want to travel back and forth to their building to grab supplies, which is problematic if you're starting an outlier at great distance. The best workaround for this I've seen is to build a Builder's Hut at the new site first - place the block, hire a worker, then recall them to the new work zone. This should limit the travel and other derpiness since they look for all the supplies they need in the newly placed block. After that, you should be able to have that Builder work in the new zone to build the rest of your outlier.

Technically, you don't need to move the Town Hall block. The colony borders are defined from the first placement of the Town Hall block, and moving it after that first placement won't affect them. You could just as well build a mock Town Hall without moving the block, but if you intend for the builder to do the work, you will either need to move said block to the new site, or use the Scan Tool to provide them with a schematic. If you wanted to use one of the existing schematics for a Town Hall (desert sandstone motif, for instance) you're likely going to need to move the Town Hall block to do it.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
So now that I'm in the iron village stage I've decided I need to continue building and improving the home base. I'm moving more towards a manor house with a couple wings and an inner courtyard, but I still need protection from those damn flying mobs like the manticore. So today I'm working on a guard tower for some added protection:

Reactions: Monarch_of_Gold

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Over the past month I've been purely focused on base building.

First moving the smeltery to a more permanent location, at least for the Iron Village Stage

Decorating the dining room for Canadian Thanksgiving.

I've been annoyed at the flying mob attacks so I've resorted to building fortification walls.

Here we improve our fortifications with some machicolations and some redesign of the battlements and adding a door.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
This part of the gatehouse episodes I decide to add in a portcullis. Does anyone know which mod added in the drawbridge? I thought it was Tinkers' Mechworks but that looks like it is unavailable with newer versions.

On another note I've gone a bit stir crazy in our village working on my base so I've decided to go a wandering through some travel huts (rule of cool) to see if I can find a nice outlier location to develop or dungeon to explore.

Reactions: Senseidragon
S

ScM_5argan

So I randomly decided to give this another try, after giving up mid stone age last time. I've been following Mobius' variation of the rules for the wood age (because it was more fun than to dig through the wiki again), but he didn't show the building requirements he did for stone+, so now that I hit the stone age, I went to the wiki to get myself involved again.

I'm planning to more or less follow the new version of the rules instead of the classic wiki this time (unlike at my last try), with possibly lower amounts of housing required (closer to the classic variant).
However, reading the outlier example in the stone age page I have to wonder, do buildings in an outlier count against the building requirements for the current stage?
If I build 5 guild member houses in the outlier, do I need 5 less houses in my capital?
In the classic ruleset, outlier size was based on the previous stage of the capital, but I didn't find any clear information in the new rules.
What are you guys going with?

On an unrelated note, I'm kind of stumped where to set up my farm area since I in my limitless wisdom chose to settle in an extremely hilly area where I'm happy if I find 4 blocks in a row of the same elevation and also have no idea how much space I need to reserve for my nobles so I don't know where to set up my farm anyway. City planning seems to not be my strong suit.

Edit: okay, the outlier description was in the wooden stage. The outlier section in the stone stage was completely empty. The question stays the same though.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Mobius Archives

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
So I randomly decided to give this another try, after giving up mid stone age last time. I've been following Mobius' variation of the rules for the wood age (because it was more fun than to dig through the wiki again), but he didn't show the building requirements he did for stone+, so now that I hit the stone age, I went to the wiki to get myself involved again.

There's been more than a few requests for clarification on the stages. I can provide my variations and interpretations and if we see Maul again we can also get clarifications on his original ideas.

My variations include one extra rule in addition to "the rule of cool" and that's "because Youtube". As a content creator I sometimes find it necessary to jump technology, or biotechnology in the case of the Chickens/More Chickens mods and Mystical Agriculture, in order to just get enough resources to work with on a weekly schedule.

I'll get these started and posted when I can. Would others like to help collaborate with their variations?

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
There's been more than a few requests for clarification on the stages. I can provide my variations and interpretations and if we see Maul again we can also get clarifications on his original ideas.

My variations include one extra rule in addition to "the rule of cool" and that's "because Youtube". As a content creator I sometimes find it necessary to jump technology, or biotechnology in the case of the Chickens/More Chickens mods and Mystical Agriculture, in order to just get enough resources to work with on a weekly schedule.

I'll get these started and posted when I can. Would others like to help collaborate with their variations?
I have the M-FCB challenge, which is similar in nature to this challenge, but I haven't played minecraft or updated everything in a while because art school and subway. And a stubborn 60-year-old mother that has a penchant for trying my patience. The rules for my challenge are quite flexible and can be modified for any modpack (I've been on a TFC kick here lately when I do play). I made youtube videos years ago but then I got a two-week case of laryngitis that weakened my voice so I can no longer record hour-long sessions. National Sub Day almost killed me.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

S

ScM_5argan

I realized that this is somewhat off-topic, but since I've hit the stone age I've started messing around with some designs in a creative world and I've come up with a design I really like.
However I'm struggling to make it work with a second story, which is a must I feel, because otherwise there's no way I'm hitting the room requirement for all the stone age+ buildings within reasonable space.
Do you guys know a discord server or something I could use for design questions / feedback?

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I realized that this is somewhat off-topic, but since I've hit the stone age I've started messing around with some designs in a creative world and I've come up with a design I really like.
However I'm struggling to make it work with a second story, which is a must I feel, because otherwise there's no way I'm hitting the room requirement for all the stone age+ buildings within reasonable space.
Do you guys know a discord server or something I could use for design questions / feedback?

I personally use some outdoor "rooms" to make things work. Gardens are some of my go to places. Consider a detached shed or horse stall as well.

If the design is working, consider some attic space accessible via ladder, or an below ground basement.

I think in one of my builds I had an outside stair that worked to get upstairs like a fire escape.

I don't know of any discord or slack server for design questions though feel free to send me a direct message here.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
You're never going to believe it when I tell you, but my challenge has NEW CONTENT ready for you guys to check out!!

I added something for the magic thread of the challenge: a hidden town.

Because of updates, it's time for a new poll! Thank you guys for participating last time!

Go check it out!

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
So do you guys remember that ridiculous outlier I threw in halfway through the challenge that I wound up removing? It's back! Only, this time, it's its own quest! :) I also cleaned up some leftover filler text from three-year-old drama that happened back when 1.8 was released. A lot more clean-up is planned, but, for now, you have two quests and twelve stages of core to occupy yourselves with (so 24 stages total (12 stages of core + 5 for the magic hideout + 7 for the seaside outlier)).

Have fun!

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I'm getting old and creaky. I just installed new flooring in my real world place over the holidays and haven't been too active anywhere online. But now I'm back and ready to go.

I'm focusing on an expansion on this series of videos. I'm also setting up for the holidays.

After the first few videos setting up the outlier I start doing something different. Instead of doing one building at a time I'm trying out doing a bulk build of the entire outlier. Excavating, setting up frames, adding first floor walls, and trying to get an idea of the outlier as a whole.

Reactions: Monarch_of_Gold