[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Nice work @Senseidragon ! Is there a way to have these penalties set in at differing y-levels, or is it all or nothing? Either way I can see this helping to police my judgement, which is occasionally suspect.

Reactions: Senseidragon

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Nice work @Senseidragon ! Is there a way to have these penalties set in at differing y-levels, or is it all or nothing? Either way I can see this helping to police my judgement, which is occasionally suspect.

I could certainly alter it to allow for different effects at various y-levels, but terrain being what it is, it can sometimes end up being nonsensical if it isn't all relative to the calculated surface level where the player happens to be. If I just say effect 1 happens below y=50 for example, the player can go scuttling all through the extreme hills biomes with tons of rock above them while never dipping below y=50.

Personally, I think I prefer mode=1, where I can just specify a number of "freebie" blocks that I'll ignore as inconsequential overhang, then start counting from there when you begin spelunking. A simple helmet of any type will protect your noggin until you pass your "freebie" amount + 20 or so blocks, at which point you're deep enough to also justify some chest protection as well. As you go deeper, more protection is necessary.

Short of getting seriously complex a-la Enviromine, Reasonable Realism, or Tough as Nails, I think my simplistic solution is a pretty fair trade-off.

If you've got more ideas for adding flexibility though, I'd love to hear them.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I could certainly alter it to allow for different effects at various y-levels, but terrain being what it is, it can sometimes end up being nonsensical if it isn't all relative to the calculated surface level where the player happens to be. If I just say effect 1 happens below y=50 for example, the player can go scuttling all through the extreme hills biomes with tons of rock above them while never dipping below y=50.

Personally, I think I prefer mode=1, where I can just specify a number of "freebie" blocks that I'll ignore as inconsequential overhang, then start counting from there when you begin spelunking. A simple helmet of any type will protect your noggin until you pass your "freebie" amount + 20 or so blocks, at which point you're deep enough to also justify some chest protection as well. As you go deeper, more protection is necessary.

Short of getting seriously complex a-la Enviromine, Reasonable Realism, or Tough as Nails, I think my simplistic solution is a pretty fair trade-off.

If you've got more ideas for adding flexibility though, I'd love to hear them.

I can't help but agree that your system is better than a straight Y-level dependency, but I guess the spirit of my question lives on. Is it set up currently to impose the debuffs all at once, or apply each one at differing depths (of course, gear mitigating what it would)?

I feel like a full load of debuffs is a bit too strong for someone who has wandered just a bit too far down, whereas a system of increasing debuffs would still work. I imagine Mining Fatigue striking first (you couldn't mine anything, but you could still light up that cave under your house), then Nausea. After that, Blindness and Confusion can punish the truly defiant spelunker.

Perhaps rather than a straight True/False you could have numeric values as to what depth each struck (to make it more customizable), with a -1 indicating False? I'm by no means a modder, so I'm really just throwing this out there with no knowledge of how to make it work or the time it would take, so feel free to tell me to go sit in the corner. :cool:

Reactions: Monarch_of_Gold

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I can't help but agree that your system is better than a straight Y-level dependency, but I guess the spirit of my question lives on. Is it set up currently to impose the debuffs all at once, or apply each one at differing depths (of course, gear mitigating what it would)?

Currently, it does apply all the debuffs at once, but only two are enabled by default in the config: Slowness and Mining Fatigue.

Changing that to an incremental system isn't terribly difficult, just a tad more complicated to explain in the config.

I feel like a full load of debuffs is a bit too strong for someone who has wandered just a bit too far down, whereas a system of increasing debuffs would still work. I imagine Mining Fatigue striking first (you couldn't mine anything, but you could still light up that cave under your house), then Nausea. After that, Blindness and Confusion can punish the truly defiant spelunker.

That sounds like a fair idea. I'll putter around a bit with the config format and see if I can't get an update out tomorrow.

Perhaps rather than a straight True/False you could have numeric values as to what depth each struck (to make it more customizable), with a -1 indicating False? I'm by no means a modder, so I'm really just throwing this out there with no knowledge of how to make it work or the time it would take, so feel free to tell me to go sit in the corner. :cool:

I appreciate the feedback and suggestions! Let's see if I can incorporate some of that back into the mod.

Reactions: Inaeo

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
You rule.
Nahh, I'm still just a Refugee. ;) @The Mobius Archives rules! He's done a fantastic job over the last couple of years with his consistent video series on the challenge, and it is very easy to get inspired from watching some of his quirky adventures.

I do very much appreciate the feedback and ideas you provided, and thank you for taking the time to follow this thread with the rest of us!

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
...seriously, welcome back, @VaalDeth. :cool:

Thanks! I will try and stay more active as time goes on, I really like the mod based on the challenge you have. Also glad to see Mobius still doing his thing!

I've started a 1.10 modded world, with no particular challenge, just to get all the updated goodies. No plans to record it though, and I won't be making as frequent videos but a few updates here and there.

Trying to focus on my writing! =)

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
@The Mobius Archives nice video today! I don't know if your plans already included this, but as you are starting to set up guard stand-ins, and you've started equipping chests with armor and weapons for these militia, maybe consider hopping into a test world to flex your custom npc skills a bit? You can make a few NPCs with the NPC Wand, then give them anything from generic steve or villager skins to skins of other players if you choose. You can then equip them from the armor and weapons you've collected, and set roles anywhere from "stay in this spot and be a decoration" to "wander around in this area and make yourself look busy" to "follow this path I define, and either flee or retaliate against any hostile mobs you encounter, and maybe seek shelter at night in the home I defined for you".

To balance just spawning in NPCs willy-nilly, you could require that you need to get a vanilla villager to your settlement before you swap it out for a Custom NPC. If desired, a bit of javascript can be coded into each individual NPC to let them know when to leave their homes, wander over and hang out by the fields, go fishing, visit the local pub, return home for the evening... whatever inspires you. The nice thing about Custom NPCs is you don't have to get complicated if you don't want it or have time for it, but it IS there if you do.

Just a suggestion to ponder, feel free to not implement them at all if you feel it would conflict with the way you are progressing!

Keep up the good work!

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I've also installed custom npcs in my tfc world. I had to give myself the wand because bread is different in tfc but that's beside the point. It's really nice to have people floating around in my world even though I can't seem to make them communicate with me. Just nice to have extra movement since technically I'm the only human in tfc. No npcs or villages, so.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I've also installed custom npcs in my tfc world. I had to give myself the wand because bread is different in tfc but that's beside the point. It's really nice to have people floating around in my world even though I can't seem to make them communicate with me. Just nice to have extra movement since technically I'm the only human in tfc. No npcs or villages, so.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Can you trap and cure a zombie villager, or do those get disabled as well?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Personally, I've taken a fancy to turning village generation off, then using the Incense mod to "lure" villagers to an area as I need them. It requires I mine for emeralds to make the incense stick, and removes early-game windfalls of loot I really probably shouldn't have access to (in my opinion, not according to R2R rules.) It also removes the occasional silly trade issue of some lazy bum farmer that will give me emeralds to harvest his wheat for him. :rolleyes:

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
You would have to give yourself the items to cure it with. Apples function differently within the food system, as do metals, so you can't make golden apples. Potion crafting is also disabled (because the nether is disabled and, again, metals work differently). So, to be honest with you, there'd be no good, "un-cheaty" way to get villagers from zombies unless someone makes an addon to change the recipes for potions (I've seen one somewhere before but I'm not sure what it does about the Nether's influence in recipes) and the brewing stand and cauldron to be craftable the TFC way (now that I think about it, though, it'd probably be quite the PITA to craft potions the TFC way, not to say the rest of TFC isn't a bit of a PITA).

So, technically you could, but you'd have to cheat in the items to do it because it's not do-able with regular TFC.

[EDIT] And no, zombie villagers aren't disabled. I think it's hard-coded in the zombie code by now, so it'd be difficult to remove a specific sub-set of zombies without removing them entirely. Either that or they'd have to register their own zombie entity that does the same exact thing as original zombies but doesn't include zombie villagers.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
You would have to give yourself the items to cure it with. Apples function differently within the food system, as do metals, so you can't make golden apples. Potion crafting is also disabled (because the nether is disabled and, again, metals work differently). So, to be honest with you, there'd be no good, "un-cheaty" way to get villagers from zombies unless someone makes an addon to change the recipes for potions (I've seen one somewhere before but I'm not sure what it does about the Nether's influence in recipes) and the brewing stand and cauldron to be craftable the TFC way (now that I think about it, though, it'd probably be quite the PITA to craft potions the TFC way, not to say the rest of TFC isn't a bit of a PITA).

So, technically you could, but you'd have to cheat in the items to do it because it's not do-able with regular TFC.

[EDIT] And no, zombie villagers aren't disabled. I think it's hard-coded in the zombie code by now, so it'd be difficult to remove a specific sub-set of zombies without removing them entirely. Either that or they'd have to register their own zombie entity that does the same exact thing as original zombies but doesn't include zombie villagers.

I've never delved into TFC, but from what I understand (and you have underscored wonderfully), TFC is a completely different animal. It's always fun to see how far we can push the engine in different directions, and TFC (and BTW for that matter) is a prime example of how different some people can see the same game.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
As I've said before, TFC brags that it's "survival mode as it should have been." I.E. more realistic and therefore believable.

In the game, you start with your fists (like MineCraft) only... wait. You can't punch trees. There are, however, sticks and stones on the ground you can pick up. Those are used for your first tools. Your first several nights will be uncomfortable until you get yourself some copper tools (an axe, saw, pick, and sword will get you started) but you need clay to make tool molds and hay and logs to set those molds up in a pit kiln. Nothing is cut-and-dry and nothing ever gets away with requiring one single material or process. It's very different but a lot more fun because you have to think about EVERYTHING. You can't just set up in a cave and never build yourself a house. You need a house. Caves can collapse on you, so you can't really just mine into a mountain. You need your own stand-alone structure. You can't just survive on bread. You have to keep your nutrition levels up or your total health stat starts dropping (less health = easier to die). Glass is made one irritating piece at a time in a fire. You don't just simply toss some ore into a furnace. Every single tool level requires a new process, starting with copper and ending in blue/red steel.

As I mentioned previously, you need tool molds for copper tool heads. You can also use molds for bronze tool heads but you need to start getting things ready for anvils so you'll be set for your progression to iron. Iron forging is your first real beast of a metal. You start by making a bloom and purify it on an anvil in a multi-step process while it's warm enough to. If it gets too *cold* you have to reheat it in a forge and then you can continue hammering away at it. It takes forever, but it's believable and realistic and that makes it fun. I seriously wish Mojang would add some of these processes to Minecraft because it makes it a much better game. There are seasons and different windows when you can find food. You have to travel for miles to find new rocks and trees and resources and animals. If you go to the north or south it gets cold, while at the equator it's the hottest. Different foods are found natively in different climates, too. It's so believable without being 100% accurate that it's crazy.

I do understand why it brags like that. It's a great re-imagining of a game that, after a while, gets far too simple and far too complacent. In TFC, you spawn at the beginning of summer. You have maybe 4 months to gather and preserve food so you can survive winter if you're not in a climate that's already in winter (i.e., south of the equator). If you don't preserve enough diverse food to keep your health up, you're going to spend your winter starving and miserable. In Minecraft you can literally reach mid-game (iron) within 10 minutes of starting without even caring about where you're going to sleep or what you're going to eat. In TFC you can't get a bed until you have cattle familiar/domestic enough to let you shear them which takes days of daily feeding to get to.

Sorry for the sudden wall of text, but I love TFC so much more than vanilla Minecraft now. It just feels like someone actually sat down and thought about what they wanted to do instead of "Oh, that sounds cool. We'll do that." Sure, there are other parts of Minecraft that are fun and I think TFC would benefit from (like potion brewing and/or the nether) but it doesn't need those aspects to make it a fun game.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The trouble is that it's almost like Survival Mode - Greg Tech edition. There's a big pay off, yes, but it can take so long it'll turn off a lot of people. I've tried a couple of different versions of TFC, but I either get screwed by ore generation, or I can't translate the tips of TFC survival into actual in-game survival. I adore the idea of TFC, but in practice it's just not an enjoyable experience on my end.

Rather than TFC making iron the end game, (Yes, it's technically steel, but you can't make that without first making iron.), I prefer mods that extend the game much beyond iron. But as with so many things, it's a matter of personal preference.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
The trouble is that it's almost like Survival Mode - Greg Tech edition. There's a big pay off, yes, but it can take so long it'll turn off a lot of people. I've tried a couple of different versions of TFC, but I either get screwed by ore generation, or I can't translate the tips of TFC survival into actual in-game survival. I adore the idea of TFC, but in practice it's just not an enjoyable experience on my end.

Rather than TFC making iron the end game, (Yes, it's technically steel, but you can't make that without first making iron.), I prefer mods that extend the game much beyond iron. But as with so many things, it's a matter of personal preference.
Iron is midgame. Bluesteel and redsteel are endgame. You can't even make metal buckets until blue/redsteel. And TFC has a wiki. It's not hard to get started in and they've fixed a lot of stuff (though a common rebuttal to complaints from kitty is how common it is to go 10,000+ blocks for something). I can't tell you how many seeds I went through trying to find one with a decent amount of copper nearby before I found this one. The rest of it is pure chance and luck.

Also, change the year length from 96 days to 360 before you start. It'll make getting ready for your first winter much easier.

If you need more tips just ask and I will gladly spam post you.