[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I've been catching up on @The Mobius Archives because he's about the closest thing I have to a rewatchable, studyable beta tester (aside from my own Challenge). No offense to the rest of you guys, but it's easier to study a video than posted updates.

Also I can't help but glaring jealously at that Sack of Holding.

That was an amazing find early on. How are you on stealing Immersive Engineering crates from villagers? It's similar but not as easy as the sack of hold as you have to break the crate.

A couple clarifications as I settle in to do some writing:

Leather Armor may be used at any time--Mobius was under the impression that he had to wait for the Wood stage to craft it. Was never my intention. derp.

Shears may be crafted at any time. (Quality of life change)

Furnaces may be built at any point *For Charcoal for Torches/shears* only, until you reach the appropriate stage. (Quality of life change)

I think I sorta kinda knew about the above but I decided for a more challenging challenge :)

I'm kinda proud of my tree farms, even if they're manual, I'm only using wooden tools, and it's a LOT of work to get it built.

+1 for tree pit farm. In my playthrough I was originally planning for building one in a surface ravine but didn't find one soon enough. So I'm more or less deforesting the tundra and birch forest instead of farming trees.

Also it looks like I have a lot of reading to do! :)

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
I'm fine with the crates.

but yeah you may want to consider a mega spruce farm, if all you want is a lot of logs for charcoal, etc. just build an above-ground framework that lets you get within 5 or so blocks of the tops of most of the trees, and cut your way to the top if necessary.

I personally swear by the mega spruce in terms of raw log output. Mega Jungles are almost as good, and you can climb up most of the way most of the time.

But they have the branches that jut out randomly. Mega Spruce are reliably 2x2, and seem to drop saplings at a much higher rate than Jungles. Which, depending on sapling saturation in your storage system(s), may be a good thing or a bad thing.

Tried to install a bunch of mods including TiCo, because after watching your videos I kinda had the hankering for it.

Problem is, it lagged me out too much, even just removing most of the ones I had just added.

So no Tinker's Construct for me.

*shrugs*

ah well. I shall live.

Sometime soon here I plan to build a 3-wide road connecting all my (and Testificate) villages to the capital. I usually do this with planks inserted into the ground, with stairs. If I'm just bored or don't have many resources, I tend to just use stairs.

with log bridges across waters/huge gaps

I'm actually planning on adding one more Master to the Crafting Guild from what's there. the Curation Master. He's in charge of making sure that everything old is stored for posterity. He would also be in charge of any public libraries.

Or, in other words, he's in charge of museums. Whether it's stuff that you the player built, or 1 museum per Guild, dedicated to the exhibition of everyone's work.

I'd give it to the Merchant's Guild, but they're more interested in storing stuff for profit, and the Crafter's Guild already knows how everything is built anyway.

.....or should it become a business for the Merchant's Guild?

hmmm....

EDIT: Work continues apace.

Shrine to Logna
Logna Shrines are usually built out of whatever kind of Logs may be found native to the Shrine's Location. His shrines tend to have Four rooms: A well-manicured orchard that shades the path to the door of the Shrine itself, an indoor room where Logna's followers may pay him tribute, a room where weary travellers or the homeless may find a welcoming bed, and a room where his acolyte(s) find their rest.

• Orchard of Logna
    • The Trees in the Orchards of Logna are almost invariably trees that have produce waiting to be produced, or produce lots of produce when chopped down.

• The Orchard must be lit brightly enough to prevent hostile mob spawns

• The Orchard should be fenced in, with a gate, to protect it from hostile mobs that spawn outside its borders.

• There should be at least 4-6 fruit trees planted on either side of the path to the Shrine itself.
  • Shrine Room
    • Must have an altar to Logna that consists of two logs with a leaf block between them on the top level, and a pair of wooden planks with a log between them on the bottom level.

• In front of the altar should be a Double Chest where offerings for Logna are placed by his pilgrims.

• The floor should be either horizontal logs or Leaf blocks.
  • Room of Rest
    • The Room of Rest must have at least 4 Single Beds for anyone that needs a place to rest.
      • Each bed must have a Single Chest Logna's guests to store their items.
    • Anyone that rests within the shrine is more than welcome to any offerings in Logna's Shrine Room.

• The floor should be either horizontal Logs or Leaf Blocks.
  • Acolyte of Logna's Hermitage:
    • Must have an oven/furnace

• Must have a Crafting Table

• Must have an Axe and a spare supply of Saplings for the Orchard.

• Must have a Bed

• Must have a Double Chest for Storage

• The Floor should be either horizontal Logs or Leaf blocks.
Shrines to Logna are favored by members of the Arbor branch of the Agricultural Guild, and are usually manned by Logna-worshipping Guild Members. They are most often found along major roads between towns, offering a welcome respite from long stretches of monotony, with a meal and a warm bed in which to rest.

...why yes, I did write Logna with Pam's/Forestry trees in mind, why do you ask

Yes, Terrim's Festival DOES extend to the 23rd, thanks for noticing. But Arbor Day is April 29 and Earth Day is the 22nd. so unfortunately Terrim's festival gets cut short to the 22nd.

So in case you guys haven't picked up the thread yet, These Shrines aren't really intended to be located inside towns, as such. I mean, maybe occasionally. But mostly they're intended to be rest stops either on the outside of town next to roads or along the main roads where there isn't much else.

Just to add a bit more life to an otherwise barren wilderness.

They're also not strictly required, but, again, to add a bit more flavor to things.

oh, and FYI Mobius, I added the Trapper to the Loner page before I caught up to where you built a Trapper house lol

I think in my Estate rewrite, I'm going to have a primary Estate section, which everyone builds, and then the bulk of the Estate will be more or less modular.

Purely Noble Estates will have a higher minimum threshold (probably around housing and impressing guests), while Guild Estates will have fewer building requirements, but outside of the core Estate will mainly be built around their focus (usually some form of production).

Player Estates will be a fusion of both. Probably not literally both requirements on top of each other, though. that would seem to be a bit much.

Last edited:

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I'm gonna be scratching at the walls until Bibliocraft comes out. Nuchaz said on twitter that he just needs to fix 3 lines of code then the rotations/scaling and it'll be done! Gotta get a library started...

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
.......three......lines of.....code......

FFFFFFFFF

now I'M gonna be scratching at the walls until it comes out.

Thanks a LOT Mobius.

>.>

in other news, my Maple farm is complete, and I'm digging out my Cinnamon and Paper tree farm locations (all three are Pam's Harvestcraft trees that seem to spew their products in a rando direction FOR SOME RIDICULOUS REASON).

So I've got 3 rows of 2-wide trees on two levels. The bottom layer is strictly 2-high, while the upper one grows as high as it can.

I already have ALL the Maple I'll need for the near future. I randomly discovered the Cinnamon trees, and I'm gonna need all the paper I can find for villager trading. I know the location of like 8 of the white (librarian?) villagers.

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
So I took a bunch of screenshots a few days ago, before I started work on my paper farm (may make a few more, in other locations. Because Villager Trading). I mean, one run though on the farm nets roughly 3 stacks of paper. And I can do a partial run (1/4-1/2) every few minutes that I remember to do so. Or just do one run an hour or so and then bring several metric assloads to the nearest village.

0O6RAYV.png

This is several days old. Neither the Cinnamon nor the Paper Tree Farms that were dug out next to the Maple Farm, and go back towards the Bee Houses and the flowers and the snow are present in these shots.

MzKWwmi.png

This is the Maple Farm. The Cinnamon/Paper Farms both follow the same basic design (and all farms will eventually be glassed over).

gHzZIdg.png

A look at the underground. The Maple, Cinnamon, and Paper Farms all have 3 rows of 2-high trees underneath, a dirt block on top of that, and then they all grew as tall as they would. In the future, I may cut down smaller trees on the upper layer, and keep cutting them down until I get a 4+ blocks of harvestable blocks.

mKIgiTr.png

This is another overview of the Cherry FArm. It has been tweaked since, and is currently still being polished. The stone in the walls is being ripped out and being replaced by Cherry Planks. The Cinnamon, Rubber, and Paper Farms are being polished with Jungle Logs, while the Spruce and Maple Farms with Spruce Planks.

yG0pUr2.png

A look at the underground, maintenance access of the Cherry Farm.

EQySdcZ.png

Another look at my Mega Spruce Farm. Eventually all of the Farms will be polished like this, with all Dirt and Stone removed and replaced with Planks.

fPdaLFv.png

My Rubber Farm. Unlike the others, these aren't designed to (necessarily) be cut down right away.

Nqyvzar.png

They're designed to tap the sap spots on the side of the trees easily.

Z7gzWVV.png

Another look at the Rubber Farm. Cherry Planks will be replaced with Jungle Planks. Because the Rubber Farm was the second Farm built, and there were tons of Cherry Planks left over, and IC2 Rubber Logs produce Jungle Planks.

1xdiZ1V.png

A look at the planning for Harborvale, Arborvale's Mercantile district. The easiest way to connect my cities is by water, ironically enough. So I'm building harbors like this, for vanilla boats.

Straight up those stairs you see in the background leads to a desolate patch of stone, with a small pass that I slightly embiggened because I thought it looked cool. The other option would have been to take a longer route (next to a ravine you can see on the mini-map) or cut through the mountain itself.

Probably gonna put a Lighthouse/Watchtower on that little island there.

I was also excited to discover I had a swamp biome so close to my other bees. Doubt I can run Tropicals in there, but I can do basically everything else.

xWKJ96J.png

The completed pier/dock for Harborvale. The logs that stick up a bit extend all the way to the bottom of the harbor. Each of those slips is designed to hold a single boat.

The funky stairs are actually Forestry Cherry stairs. For some reason no matter how much light is nearby they have that shadow when I put them down. I have a Cherry/Spruce Plank highway that connects back to the main part of Harborvale that is currently built (Arborvale). Well, I say Highway. More like a set of stairs that help me go from one place to the other. Eventually it will be turned into a thoroughfare.

I have also set up temporary orchards of Pam's fruit/nuts, to harvest as many as I can, in preparation for Pam's fruit/nut pits.

And last night I also wiped out almost all the snow and as many of the flowers as I could. I have a fairly decent stockpile of flower-based dyes (and flowers) now.

I keep forgetting to take new pictures, but will try to get some for you folks soon.

Last edited:

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
No sooner do I finish up the Paper and Cinnamon pits that I decide to make a (Forestry) Balsa pit. gotta love how small of a footprint they have. If I wanted to, I'm pretty sure I could squeeze 4 in a 5x5. As it is, I've got 12 3x3 growth areas, with a walkway at just-below-surface level that allow me to literally walk up to the tallest possible tree, cut down some leaves, and ride the trunk all the way to the ground. The blarge canopy Padauk or however you spell it will be a PITA. Probably only gonna have 2, for sure no more than 4. I think I have 6 cherry trees and that's a bit more surface area than I want to give to it, but they're just so damn big.

Gotta say, I'm liking the disparity between the relatively dark Spruce wood and the almost pure white of the Balsa wood.

Now I've just got to finish digging out the support infrastructure (for each pit there is a 3-block overhang. I've got the pits themselves 100% functional. Just need to dig out the overhangs, throw up the logs, and plank everything else that is visible).

On a side note, I've given up on crating cobble, dirt, and gravel. I had a full double chest converted into a handful of items. makes me grind my teeth at all the charcoal I wasted on the carpenter, and all the logs turned into crates that could have been charcoal instead. Yay for compressed cobble/dirt/gravel

le sigh.

I'm also considering, in the warehouses, a tall, wide, deep room full of ore (placed in the world in neat stacks)--maybe inside/next to one of the ore processing buildings.

I also have a mod that lets me place down ingots (and bricks) down individually, and stack them.

I have so much ore that I've discovered just from carving out the damn pits that it's not funny. probably ~8-10 stacks of copper between 3 different varieties, a couple stacks of tin, and probably 5 stacks of iron, not to mention the Bauxite, the Druidry Silver, and more. I'm trying to keep fom smelting as much as possible for when I have ore doubling.

......if I keep building pits like this, though, I'm not sure it's gonna matter.

Because I've got a Pam's Orchard set up, but I want to put 'em all into shallow pits of their own.

The Pits, by the way, are following the (relatively) level ground. The higher ground on all sides of the pits will be houses and buildings for industries that need/support wood/products.

Also my discovery that Super Crafting Frames can work on the inventory of Chests and other inventories is a bit of a game changer. I thought you just threw them up and it worked on your personal inventory. Now I've got a chest full of Pam's Fruit with all kinds of SCF thrown on that can make me any of large number of Pam's Saplings if I have spruce saplings and the fruit in my inventory or the chest.

I was already planning on using SCF when I get the Crafter's Guild set up for ease of crafting, but this just makes it better.

I also need to go out and grab ~6 more Pam's trees that I have bookmarked locations. Lemon, Persimmon, find out where the hell the plum tree was because I need ONE MORE for a sapling........

Also, I have way too many of hte Pam Gardens. Like, practically 2 stacks of the plains one. If I collected every single one that I know the location of, probably ~3-4.

Right, yeah, I don't have any Pam's crops yet. I sneak-clicked the gardens instead and have several, large groups of them that are spreading out (that I periodically prune back to 1 of each and toss the extras in storage), just because. I'm fairly certian that I could have a complete Pam's crop list within 3 minutes if I really wanted to.

The key is that they spread like mushrooms, but only if there are less than a certain amount of them in like a 7-block radius. or less than 7 within x blocks.

So, I put one of each garden in a row and come back when I come up (literally) for new tools or my inventory is full

.......now it's just the trees I need to find.

..............I need to make a list of which ones I need and where they can be found.

I also have a whole lot of Natura berry bushes. Though I'm planning on pruning them all down to 1 block so I can have more in storage.

Whenever I go out to build a new settlement, I have a packing list:

1 of each type of Natura berry bush.
1 of each type of Pam's Gardens (including the Desert one)
4-8 Sugar Cane
1-2 Cacti
1-3 Sand
4+ Wheat seeds
4+ Carrots
4+ Potatoes
4+ Beet Seeds
2 Dogs (If near a settlement that has dogs)
2 Cats (if near a settlement that has cats)
1 Donkey (if there are enough of them)

Probably gonna update that list to include:

8 Spruce Saplings (general wood use, Charcoal)
8 Jungle Saplings (general wood use, Charcoal)
8 Dark Oak Saplings
4 Oak Saplings
4 Birch Saplings
Acacia Saplings if I have some lying around. If not it's not that big a deal because they grow strange and I consider them a PITA.
2 Cherry Saplings (Food)

.....now that I think about it, Timbervale's Redwood might be done by now. Haven't been to the jungle in a long time. And I threw down a Custom NPC chunkloader in the hopes that it might grow while I'm working on other things.

AA Fertilizer and Bone Meal certainly aren't working.

Speaking of, my Mega Spruce aren't growing anymore. Not sure why, but they just suddenly REFUSE to grow in the pit I made for them. They grow on the surface just fine.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm not sure if it works, but try Super Crafting Frames on Storage Drawers Framing blocks. (IE the Oak Frames for going around corners.) That might allow you to have access to storage drawers stuff, without visible drawers.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Right, yeah, I don't have any Pam's crops yet. I sneak-clicked the gardens instead and have several, large groups of them that are spreading out (that I periodically prune back to 1 of each and toss the extras in storage), just because. I'm fairly certian that I could have a complete Pam's crop list within 3 minutes if I really wanted to.
I did not know these grew of their own accord. That's going to be a game changer.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Foo! Finally read (most of) that! I've been away dealing with holidays and paperwork and a few attempts at finding a job. I've been making more meaningful progress toward doing art every day. Today I'm taking an off day from everything because nature sucks and I deserve a break after a rather productive couple of weeks.

As for minecraft stuff, I haven't done anything in a while. I've been focusing more on other things. I'm currently waiting on some folks to respond to my poll on my forum to decide what to do next (because, for now, I feel having 12 stages is sufficient work to keep everyone busy and happy) 'cause I feel like I need to get some progress going on the other areas of the challenge.

And you could seriously write a book with all the thinking you're doing for your challenge, maul.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
*Nudge* @Maul_Junior Bibliocraft is out!

......JAGKLDAFJASDFLKASDFJASDKLFASDNGKADSLFJSADKLFJASDFKLASDGJASDKLGNSDAGILASDJGAILDSGJASDLGKADSFLASDJFASDKLFJASKLFJ

...adflkads;fjasd;lkfjsadglkasdgasdjglASDGKLAJGAKLHNATOPUOARIEOBNVDFSKLFJ

YAY

Wasn't sure if you had been just ignoring the possibility of growing new Pam's gardens or not, Mobius. But yeah, sneak+left click to harvest. If there's more than a few of them in a 7-block radius/diameter more won't grow. From what I've read they basically copy mushroom spread, except for the light thing. They do take a long time to grow, and it seems like some of the gardens might grow better in certain biomes (or maybe the RNG just happens to like them or something). However, it will also mean that you will eventually be able to get every single Pam's crop in short order (once you find all the Gardens--Plains, Marshy, Cold, Tropical, uh, the "summer" one that looks like a little green bush, and the one that's found practically everywhere in the deserts.).

Triaxx, I have absolutely no idea how the framing blocks work. But I can confirm that Super Crafting Frames work on Storage Drawers. I have a row of 8-9 storage drawers I have for compressed cobblestone, however many it is for compressed dirt+dirt, 3 for gravel/compressed gravel, and Super Crafting Frames on top of all of them to compress them down further. it's really very nice.

throw all the cobble in the storage drawer, I have a SCF on top, hold right-click until it stops, put the compressed stuff in the drawer right next door, hit the SCF on top, et cetera until it won't compress anymore. it's a little space-intensive, but I plan on either emptyign them out, or getting the Storage Drawers tape (via slime ball via Pam's jellyfish) and packing them all up to the next dig site I have.

The counter to the space-intensiveness is that I can compress everything down, take everything out of the storage drawers, and blank the super crafting frames so everything fits more easily in my inventory, and then set everything up again elsewhere.

Also it means that I can dump out an inventory+backpack's worth of crap out and then be right back into the (digging) fray. And with this setup I can store more raw cobble/dirt/gravel than would be possible in a chest with a bunch of quad-SCF on every possible facing.

.....not that hasn't stopped me from having a Pam's fruit chest and having a bunch of quad-SCF on it, set to give me Saplings if I have Spruce saplings in my inventory/the chest.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Framing blocks are basically the drawers but without the drawer part. IE it looks the same on all sides. So you can use it to turn corners.

I assume you're making Compressed Cobble that way because you're not yet allowed to craft Compacting Drawers which do that automatically?

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Framing blocks are basically the drawers but without the drawer part. IE it looks the same on all sides. So you can use it to turn corners.

I assume you're making Compressed Cobble that way because you're not yet allowed to craft Compacting Drawers which do that automatically?
yeah.

Yeah. Storage Drawer with a Super Crafting Frame on top. Bunch of those all in a row, they all make progressively more compressed cobble/dirt/gravel/etc. You just have to be sure to put the compressed [x] into the next one in the list before you hit the SCF, or you will drain the storage drawer's inventory, and the compressed stuff will remain in YOUR inventory, and you'll have to put them back in (I've done this a couple times >.< )

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Hey guys! Guess what? Finally finished the first floor of the castle! Woo! This may end up being split into a few different posts. Sorry beforehand.

So we start with in-progress shots of the exterior walls going up.

V9Vu1xq.png

p70VkuM.png

HUUgOD3.png

Once that was done, I dismantled my first house...

W7FxNhO.png

...and started building the floor.

VkMBflM.png

tM7gqRH.png

hQioaln.png

4h1FeO7.png

NLQdkfz.png

pTbqwYK.png

kYgO4X5.png

Now I could add the interior walls.

FkkBvUV.png

f43M0GI.png

XJEB5Ar.png

lCTs3Fg.png

And, so, the first floor is complete.

o9oszgM.png

x1sMPlN.png

Hope you enjoyed that!

Thanks, guys!

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Just a quick note for those that remember that dinky mod I made back in 2015 for R2R about wearing a helmet while underground...

Yeah, that one. Well, I dusted it off and updated it for 1.7.10, 1.8.9, 1.9.4, and 1.10.2. I'll probably update it again for 1.11.2 later today just to get it off my todo list.

You can find it both on Curseforge and Mods.IO, I'll include the Curseforge link below. If you don't see the 1.9.4 and 1.10.2 versions listed yet, it's probably because they're still being reviewed. I expect they should be approved by morning.

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/refugee-to-regent-utilities

In the config file you can change the gameMode entry from 0 (only worries about wearing a helmet underground) to 1 (you need more armor equipped the deeper you delve), whichever seems more appropriate to your style of play.