[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
So has anyone played around with Actually Additions?

I'm just peering into it atm, and some things are interesting for me, some I'm not really into atm.....

but the Display Stand makes it HELLA tempting. Also--CHARCOAL BLOCKS!

Seriously, Mojang, what the hell?

eh, screw it.

between the Charcoal blocks, the display stand, the compost being a bone-meal equivalent.....oh, and worms and fishing nets (though I kind of like the fact that Giacomo's fishing nets break like 25% of the time and need to be replaced and take a long time to fill to max capacity) this looks well worth my time.

Last edited:

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Actually Additions Canola Powergen (Oil Generator setup) is the only thing I really think is significantly out of balance. The rest of the mod has a fair bit of work involved to get going, but that powergen is nuts.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I'm considering making AA fairly magitech in origin, which would satisfy the third magic path in my book. Needs some CraftTweak work, but doable.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk

Reactions: Senseidragon

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
So has anyone played around with Actually Additions?

I'm actually liking the less broken improvements that AA adds.

Tiny (char)coal to cook only one item at a time!

Storage crates are also a big change for me.

Jam!

Canola power looks promising as a starter through advanced power source.

I also anticipate to like the experience solidifier once I'm into magitech territory because with Mo'Creatures I'm dying a lot more.

Also yeah the display stand. Definitely the display stand for collections. Although if you want to just store a wall of items Immersive Craft (not to be confused with Immersive Engineering) has a cabinet/shelf thingy that visually displays items put into them.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
This episode I begin moving into the Stone Hamlet stage with flint tools and stone building... Plus a werewolf...

Next I play around with the Immersive Craft mod and figure out where the first mining shaft will be.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Also yeah the display stand. Definitely the display stand for collections. Although if you want to just store a wall of items Immersive Craft (not to be confused with Immersive Engineering) has a cabinet/shelf thingy that visually displays items put into them.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is mentally hopping on one foot from impatience waiting for Bibliocraft to update. That's basically what I USED it for.

:(

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
So I decided to look around for some storage mods to play with. Mostly because I wanted something similar to Redpower 2 sacks.....ended up adding a few mods. I mean, I could go Equivalent Exchange bags (er, ProjectE), but those are a bit OP for where I am atm.

I do have fond memories of picking one particular color to house one of every single color of bag, in case I fell into lava or the bags I was carrying were similarly unrecoverablej, and then using all the other bags (separate from the backups in the designated bag) to store crap into.

Right about the time that I was using multiple buildcraft quarries, throwing everything from them into condensers, and using the light->EMC things as much as possible.......

fun times. Maybe if I hadn't corrupted myself into enjoying low-level toolery so much I'd be right back into it.

oh noes.

Bagelsmore: The Return.

Adds three kinds of desks (2 wood, 1 stone) that can have storage (16, 32 stacks or 4 buckets of 2 different kinds of liquid), voiding capaibility, acts like a Bibliocraft bookshelf, and can have visual crafting capability. Oh, and Bibliocraft (IIRC)-style clipboard/checklist that can be placed on the desk. When I saw this, I instantly fell in love.

Iron Backpacks

Which looks a bit more like Tinker's Construct, JABBA, or Storage Drawers for backpacks than Iron Chests for backpacks.

Rucksacks

Which honestly was basically the functionality that I wanted.

Not much, but most of the backpacks seemed a bit OP for me. If I didn't like playing low-tech, and was going for max power/hour I'd probably be thrilled. But these are simple, get the job done, and in the case of Iron Backpacks, scales quite well just like Storage Drawers/JABBA.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Bagelsmore: The Return.

Adds three kinds of desks (2 wood, 1 stone) that can have storage (16, 32 stacks or 4 buckets of 2 different kinds of liquid), voiding capaibility, acts like a Bibliocraft bookshelf, and can have visual crafting capability. Oh, and Bibliocraft (IIRC)-style clipboard/checklist that can be placed on the desk. When I saw this, I instantly fell in love.
Ooohhh... I'll have to check out that mod!

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is mentally hopping on one foot from impatience waiting for Bibliocraft to update. That's basically what I USED it for.

:(

On our server, there has always been one major recurring question: "OK, what was I doing?". The answer quickly turned into, "Making a clipboard.'. Without the BiblioCraft Clipboard in 1.10, I've had to resort to using a Vanilla book and quill to keep tabs on my projects. All the decorations were nice, and I want them back, but that Clipboard is what I pine for. I'll have to check out Bagelsmore for sure.

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
On our server, there has always been one major recurring question: "OK, what was I doing?". The answer quickly turned into, "Making a clipboard.'. Without the BiblioCraft Clipboard in 1.10, I've had to resort to using a Vanilla book and quill to keep tabs on my projects. All the decorations were nice, and I want them back, but that Clipboard is what I pine for. I'll have to check out Bagelsmore for sure.
Yep agreed! I've been keeping a book and quill on my a lot recently. Partly as record keeping partly as a challenge to have a book to record every episode I've made. I still miss that clipboard though.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
So. I was kind of distracted over the holidays by coming up with cool ideas for stuff and, of course, ALL DEM BEES.

However, I would like to resurrect something I did a year or two ago:

seasonal challenges.

I don't think they made it into either of the wikis, so I'm probably going to give them their own page. And while last time it was just a building, I think I'm going to go a bit deeper this time.

I'll probably do the building again, but I'll probably have a couple other things to go with the Valentine's (the next major holiday I'm aware of) challenge. I'm thinking maybe a Wedding Hall, with an attached "Lovey" restaurant (as in Madame Puddifoot's from Hogsmeade as opposed to Japanese Love Hotels, ya pervs).

Maybe something for each of the different Guilds, if I can manage it. For example, Crafting Guild gets "Build X Cookies and Cakes, X Fireworks" Agricultural Guild gets "Breed livestock X many times," etc.

And maybe, just for fun, have these events (or possibly rename them into Festivals), gifts Challengers with a tool (a breakable tool) that they would otherwise not be able to get, based on the theme of the events. But only if they complete the requirements for the Challenge within the limited span of the Festival's IRL dates.

In fact, with this in mind, pre-metal tool civilizations could be gifted one Iron Pickaxe, as part of a Mining Guild Challenge for Valentine's being "Find a Diamond." But it would be only ONE pickaxe. If they break it without finding a diamond, they failed the Challenge.

EDIT: In fact, what if the Mining Guild's challenge was to find THREE diamonds.....

And the reward for completing all the Festival's tasks was a Diamond tool of your choice (again, only one, and not replaceable if it breaks unless you get to Diamond-level crafting)!

So right now the base Guild goals I'm thinking of are something like:

Sweetheart Festival: February 1-15

Rewards may not be claimed until after the Festival ends on the 15th, or all requirements are met, whichever is first. The Plaza should not be cleaned up until after the Festival ends on the 15th.

Construct a Festival Plaza, where this and all future Festivals will be held.

Must have Item Frames for all requirements. If the Guilds have their own Banner designs, each section of the Plaza should have a Banner for each of the Guilds (and/or Military) present.

Mining Guild: Must have 3 empty Item Frames for the 3 Diamonds required for the Challenge (Diamonds must be placed into the Frames as they are discovered), and an ADDITIONAL Item Frame for the Iron Pickaxe to be displayed up until the Festival itself begins.

Agricultural Guild: A Chest or other Container that contains enough Breeding material for 50 Breedings. A Chest or other Container that has enough room for 50 Pink Wool Blocks.

For each type of Breeding Material present, it must be represented in an Item Frame on or next to the storage for Breeding Material

There must be a Pink Wool Item Frame on or next to the storage for the Pink Wool storage (Does not count towards Wool Requirement)

Crafting Guild: There must be a Chest or other Container with enough room for 50 Fireworks. A Fireworks Item Frame must be present on or near said storage. (Does not count towards Fireworks requirement)

There should be at least 25 tables (or 25 blocks' worth of tables) upon which the finished Cakes will be displayed. A Cake Item Frame must be present somewhere in the Plaza (does not count towards the 25 Cake requirement).

There must be a Chest(s) or other Container(s) with enough room for 400 Cookies. A Cookie Item Frame must be present on or near the Cookie Storage (does not count towards Cookie requirements).

Merchant's Guild: Must have enough room for a small Minecart track (may be powered or unpowered. if powered, may be powered via tracks or cart). Track may go around the outside of the Plaza, weave throughout the Plaza, and/or connect all the Guilds' stations together.

If responsible for cookies, Cookie Requirements from the Crafting Guild is identical, except only 90 cookies are required.

Engineer's Guild: Must be enough room for the Technological Marvel. Should probably be separate from the Magician's Guild, in case those Magical knaves get up to any tricks. Marvel should be moved out of the Plaza after the Festival is complete.

Magician's Guild: Must be enough room for the Magical Marvel. Should probably be separate from the Engineer's Guild, in case those Techie sneaks get up to any tricks. Marvel should be moved out of the Plaza after the Festival is complete.

Military: Should have a Recruitment Post to sign up any able-bodied mobs that want to join any branch of the Military. Must have at least a desk, several Item Frames filled with Weapons and/or Armor, and/or Armor Stands with armor and Weaponry.

Mining Guild: Find 3 Diamonds (Craft Iron Pick even if you're not there yet in the Challenge)

Agricultural Guild: Breed Animals 50 times (any species), collect 50 Pink Wool blocks

Crafting Guild: Construct 50 Fireworks, bake 25 Cakes, Bake 400 Cookies (50 craftings). Any kind of Cookies may be made, but you must Bake 50 craftings worth of Cookies.

Merchant's Guild: Construct a Railcart amusement ride for the masses (ordinary crafting bans waived for base-level minecarts and tacks).

If no Cocoa Beans are available, the burden of procuring Cookies falls to the Merchant's Guild. Find a Farmer Villager, and procure 90 Cookies (15 Emerald's worth)

Engineer's Guild: Build A Fancy piece of Technology to wow the masses (pick one Technological System to build that is one Tier higher than where you are now--think World's Fair, CES, etc). Should NOT be portable, may be multiblock, should be able to be powered either indefinitely on its own, or through the assistance of current technologies.

Magician's Guild: Build A Fancy piece of Magic to wow the masses (pick one Technological System to build that is one Tier higher than where you are now--think World's Fair, CES, etc). Should NOT be portable, may be multiblock, should be able to be powered either indefinitely on its own, or through the assistance of current Magic.

Military: Step up Patrols around the time of the Festival--Kill 50-100 Mobs.

Construction: Build a Wedding Chapel. Should have seating for a decent number of guests, a raised podium for the lucky couple, and maybe a wedding arch.

Build a romantic restaurant designed to cater to mobs in love. May be attached to the Wedding Chapel or separate.

Note: If you have previously attempted/completed the first Sweetheart Festival, you must build new Magic/Tech/Chapel/Restaurant.

If ALL requirements are met, Reward is:

-Diamond Tool of your choice (regardless of Stage). Only if you complete the entire Sweetheart Festival. Limited to one Tool, may not be replaced if it's outside of your current Stage, no more than 3 Diamonds may be used.
-Keep the Iron Pickaxe (regardless of Stage). May be kept even if the Festival is incomplete.
-Keep the Tech Marvel. May be kept even if the Festival is incomplete.
-Keep the Magic Marvel. May be kept even if the Festival is incomplete.
-[Optional] Somehow, during the Festival, a Son/Daughter of yours appeared! Give them a name, and Build them a Baron/ess Estate immediately! Only if you complete the entire Sweetheart Festival.
-[Alternate Option] You have fallen for and married a Spouse. Show them how much you love them by Building them a Baron/ess Estate immediately.
--[Optional] Give them their own Court of Arms, Banner/Shield-style.

Some of you might be going "Wait, why does the Merchant's Guild build some Minecart tracks? Why isn't that Tech?"

Because in my mind, Merchants are responsible for all transportation, storage, and sales. Minecarts fall solidly within their purview.

Something like THAT. Something that's fun to do at a certain time of year, plus you get some rewards for taking it on.

I considered placing the Sweetheart Festival two weeks before and after Valentine's, but that seemed a bit much and would be butting up close to St. Patrick's Day (another holiday I plan to satirise), so I decided to just make it February 1-15th. Giving it an extra day so any Significant Others won't get pissy at Challengers for skipping out on them because "They need to finish this one thing on Minecraft."

>.>

Or, you know, maybe they'd do it together.

\o/

EDIT 2: I've been meaning to set up an original Pantheon for this Challenge, and not necessarily rely on Cubeaism. And, on top of that, not necessarily have the *paths* that Cubeaism does, maybe a few guidelines as to shrines, temples, possibly monasteries, etc. So, to that effect:

Voluptia is the goddess of Love, Fertility, and Reproduction. She is celebrated annually during the Sweetheart Festival, usually held from February 1st to February 15th. She is usually pictured as something soft and fluffy, with large......tracts of land. She is known to offer a helping hand to any weary travellers who need it.

-Favored Color: Pink
-Favored Building Materials: Hay Blocks, Beds, Wool and other Pink or Pink-ish color Blocks (Hardened Clay, Glass, Sakura Wood, etc).
-Festival: Sweetheart Festival
--Festival Date(s): February 1st to February 15th
-Favored Offerings: Cake, Wheat, Cookies, Wheat Seeds, Potatoes, Carrots, and Golden Carrots.

Shrine to Voluptia: May be built out of any pink-based materials. Usually has three rooms. One where Voluptia's followers may pay tribute to her, one where weary travellers or the homeless may rest for the night, and one where her Acolyte(s) sleep.

Shrine Room:
  • Must have an Altar that consists of one block Cake, with two Hay Blocks on either side of it, on top of a base of 3 Hay blocks (so the Cake/Hay is above the Chest). In front of the Altar is a Double Chest, where offerings may be left for the goddess.
  • Any Windows must be Pink Stained Glass.
  • Must be carpeted with Pink Wool or Pink Carpet.
Room of Rest:
  • The Room of Rest must have at least 4 beds for any unfortunates that need a place to lay their heads. By each Bed is a Cake for nourishment and a Chest for storage.
  • Must be carpeted in either Pink Wool or Pink Carpet
  • Any Windows must be Pink Stained Glass.
Acolyte of Voluptia's Shrine's Room:

• Acolytes of Voluptia usually lead simple, if fattening, lives. They usually only live in one, small room that is a combination kitchen/bedroom.
  • Must have an Oven/Furnace
  • Must have a Crafting Table
  • If Available, must have a Liquids Tank full (or containing) Milk.
  • Must have at least a Double Chest for storage.
  • Must have a Double Bed
    • Come on, this IS an Acolyte of VOLUPTIA.
  • If the Shrine is not in an Agricultural settlement, the Shrine should have a small Chicken Coop, at least 1 Cow, and a small Wheat field (4x4 should do it) to make sure that Cake can be made.
    • If possible, one or two Jungle Logs should be erected nearby for Cocoa growth. for Cookies.
Shriines to Voluptia and other god/esses tend to have members of the Merchant's Guild living nearby, even if the Shrine is in the middle of nowhere. the Merchant is always a Member or higher within the Guild, and always sells (at the very least) some of the favored offerings for the nearby Shrine. If the Shrine and the Merchant are in the middle of nowhere, they also tend to offer survival supplies and a variety of food.

EDIT3: On a server I occasionally play on, there's some folks building a MASSIVE "King's Road," with rest stops every 500 blocks or so. I am going to put something similar in when I get to the Transportation (or Merchant's Guild) section, but I'm considering having each religious Shrine essentially be a rest stop for weary wanderers.

Basically, the template would be three-room shrines. A rest room, a room for the Shrine itself, and a small living quarters for the attendant Acolyte.

Well, usually small. I'll probably have one or two super lavish god/esses that have either a small house or a mini-estate on even the Shrines. But on the flip side a couple god/esses that live in such meager fashion that there's barely anything or any room at all in the Acolytes' room.

Except for the mischief maker god/esses.

Those shrines will probably be the focal point of bandit camps.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I find if you can manage it, the Open Computers Tablet is an okay, but not exceptional replacement for a clipboard. I used a Computercraft one, but that hasn't updated yet.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
I've been catching up on @The Mobius Archives because he's about the closest thing I have to a rewatchable, studyable beta tester (aside from my own Challenge). No offense to the rest of you guys, but it's easier to study a video than posted updates.

Also I can't help but glaring jealously at that Sack of Holding.

A couple clarifications as I settle in to do some writing:

Leather Armor may be used at any time--Mobius was under the impression that he had to wait for the Wood stage to craft it. Was never my intention. derp.

Shears may be crafted at any time. (Quality of life change)

Furnaces may be built at any point *For Charcoal for Torches/shears* only, until you reach the appropriate stage. (Quality of life change)

Man, looking back at my previous post, I realize I haven't shown you my most recent project: a ~20-block deep pit, lined entirely in Spruce Wood, home to 2 4x4 Spruce trees. That may not seem like much, but I tend to have 1-1.5 Log stacks/tree, and 3-10 extra Saplings per TREE. And, if anything, 20 blocks deep is too shallow. it could easily stand to go 5-10 blocks deeper. But I'm kinda disspaointed. Mojang seems to have nerfed Spruce 2x2's height limits. They used to go 30-40 blocks tall easily. Sometimes 45+ IIRC. It's been a while since I loaded up my vanilla save on another laptop (that got its screen smashed. derp), but the damn things were TALL. Whenever I needed wood, I always used those suckers. Jungle trees would have handy climbing, but were like 50% the height of Spruce 2x2s.

I'd be tempted to go down another 4-5 blocks, but as it is, it's sitting on top of an underground Ravine. It was relatively simple to throw up supports underneath in the few spaces that were open to the Ravine, but for now, it's going to stay as it is.

I don't have pictures atm, but I will have some soon. Along with my IC2 rubber tree area (Complete, finished it before starting on the Mega Spruce farm), and I'm going to be building out a Pam's Maple harvest area to catch the wild maple drops that don't drop but leap out from the trunk. I'm probably going to either have a continuous row of Pam's Maples, or a 2x2 so the Maple is forced to throw itself out in a single direction.

-XX-
<-XX->
<-XX->
<-XX->
<-XX->
<-XX->
<-XX->
-XX-

X's being the Maple trees from a top-down view, and the arrows being the forced direction of travel for the Maple Syrup.

I'm kinda proud of my tree farms, even if they're manual, I'm only using wooden tools, and it's a LOT of work to get it built.

However, ONCE it's built, it's the handiest thing in the world to use. Maybe not as handy as "flip switch, watch product pour into AE network," but I enjoy the manual labor. Probably a bit of my asperger's kicking in.

Not sure what I'm going to tackle after the Pam's Maple......possibly a deep Jungle pit. Pictures soon. For now, I'm writing.

.....aaaaaand the Dirt Hovel Stage is completely rewritten, and it is WAY better IMHO. it's a bit more work in-game, but it is SO much easier to write with standardized housing and Guilds. Geeze. you have NO idea how much easier.

How much more work in-game?

Well, your house, 7 more (the 6 Guilds and the leader of the Military), and a Shrine to Terrim, which will house an additional Acolyte.

So 9 houses, basically, plus the stockpiling, crafting, etc. But on the positive side, it does a good job of introducing the various Guilds. Or at least I like to think so.

>.>

Plus, in the wake of Voluptia, I am pleased to announce the SECOND deity in the R2R pantheon: Terrim! Terrim is the patron deity of the Dirt Hovel stage, and, since the Mining Guild gets particularly shafted in this stage, the first required Shrine in the entire Challenge.

EDIT: Edited previous post so that Voluptia's shrine within the Shrine building is 2 blocks tall, so you can see the shrine part itself up above the Chest.

Basically it's
[Hay] [Cake] [Hay]
[Hay] [Hay] [Hay]

While Terrim's is

[Clay] [Sand] [Clay]
[Clay] [Sand] [Clay]

I may switch up the bottom layer to be something like:

[Clay] [Sand] [Clay]
[Sand] [Clay] [Sand]

or something. Dunno.

EDIT 2: Working on the Wood stage now, and just did some math.

The Basic Baron/ess Estate has ~85 rooms (give or take 3-16 depending on whether or not they're in a Guild and whether they're a Master or a Grand Master).

26 rooms in the main Estate, 3-9 Guild rooms for a Guild Master including the Office, 6-16 for a Guild Grand Master including the Office, 29 rooms for guests (much of that being the Guest Suites that take up 3 rooms apiece), and 11-14 Service Quarters.

Heh. That's a bit excessive if every Grand Master and Master is expected to have one. Even if every Grand Master is expected to have one.

bleh. rework needed.

But hey, there's a good number of rooms already built within the buildings from the Dirt Hovel stage! like 5.

And it's not like I expect it to be done in a single stage (considering this is WAAAAAY larger than the original Baron/ess Estate from back in the day). Nope, this initial Estate for you and the Guild Grand Masters should be done by the end of the Iron Village Stage.

....which, if you start from scratch in the Wood Settlement Stage.....

.....28 rooms/Stage. times......

o.0

welp. Estates are supposed to be huge.

lol

Wait until you get to the BIG Estates.

Probably gonna cut the Guest rooms required in half, at the very least.

EDIT#Whatever:

Aaaand got the rough outline for the Wood Settlement Stage up, and I'mma take a break and play my own game now.

At the very least, there's a building list for immigrants and your estates. It's even got a bit of what I consider a funny joke towards the bottom.

The Guild Masters are fairly self-explanatory, and will be fleshed out. for example, the Delving Master is the Mining Guild's Master responsible for actually digging. the same guild's Surveying Master is responsible for ensuring that the mine shafts themselves don't collapse, and the Processing Master is responsible for turning ore into Ingots.

In the Merchant's Guild, the Stockpile Master is responsible for storing all the crap you're not using, the Mercantile Master is responsible for buying/selling, and the Markets in general. The Transportation Master is responsible for the roads, physically transporting your crap, boats, and, eventually, rails.

Crafter's Guild has all kinds of Masters depending on what needs to be built.

EDIT#Whatdoesitmatternow:

I added one more thing that I have intended to do for a while....the Loner page.

Basically I intend to fill this page, eventually, with a bunch of people that either want to live by themselves or in very small communities.

The first type of person to the Loner page? Someone I've been intended to do for a LONG time.

The Trapper. Basically, they use Pam's Ground/Water Traps, but because they need to have a lot of space to trap anything, they have to be out in the boonies. I drooled the first time I saw them in action, but knew that I would feel like it would be a cop-out if I put them somewhere heavily populated.

So despite the fact that they're kinda quietly OP (like the rest of Pam's infini-plants. Disclaimer: I love Pam's Harvestcraft, however OP it may be), I still wanted to have some place that I could use them that wouldn't be totally cheap. And that's where the Trapper came from.

I want to do a Woodsman too. Basically, someone that's entirely self-sufficient and doesn't want much to do much with other folks.

If you have any ideas for other Loners I'm up for ideas.

.....dunno, maybe the Crazed Woodsman variant, who is hostile to everyone and attacks anyone who gets too close to his home. Lone Bandits, Lone Bandit Camps (pre-cursors to the full-fledged Crime page revamp) who attack anyone who gets too close........

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Maybe have the bottom center of Terrim's altar be Sandstone? It's crafted from Sand, and is the foundations on which Sand rests. And it's not something you require tools to get so you can have it during the hovel stage. Perhaps, specify crafted by the hands of an artisan(player) rather than harvested from the earth?